Disc brakes on a kingpin truck!

Fineline

Fineline used a Z31/300XZ (I think :P) master on his truck. He has discs all the way around so that may not work for you.

You could source a master from an earlier z-car with front disc/rear drum. Or you could go with the 4-wheel discs. I did, and now have a Z31 master sitting in the garage waiting on my cab...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fineline, in the first post you mentioned that these are for non-emission, offroad use only... any particular reason why that is? Is it something to do with the brake setup itself, or something to do with vehicle inspections?

I'm keen on doing this myself, but I need to get an entire inspection done before I can insure it... I'd rather do this prior to reassembling the entire truck, rather than going back to redo the brakes after...

It's a liability thing. They aren't NHTSA certified parts. Basically it's a "don't sue me if they break" thing.

Though in reality, just saying "Not for Highway Use" doesn't absolve the manufacturer of liability, and there are court cases to prove it. Advertising that a part fits a certain make/model automatically assumes intended use. You'd have to have the buyer sign a "hold harmless" document, witnessed, and possibly notarized.

A better way to reduce liability would be to (permanently and visably) mark the parts as "experimental, Not For Highway Use". It's still nonbinding, BUT it makes it a little harder for the one doing the suing to prove they "didn't know". It also would make the vehicle NFHU. REAL Race-only parts are typically marked similarly (for offroad use only).

It's due to our litigeous society. Always blame someone else, never take personal liability. It's why we can't get new parts for our race engines at the Museum I volunteer at- no one will make parts for what used to be airplane engines for fear someone will stick the part in a plane, crash, then the family sues the person/entity that made the part.

is there a list of parts needed for this somewhere? am i blind?

2002 Honda Passport/2002 Izusu Trooper front rotors

1990 300ZX front calipers (loaded)

custom (finelines brackets)

thats what ive come up with

z32 are the 300zx brake calipers right? and theyre supposedly expensive?

and the honda passport rotors are vented aluminum? what was i hearign somthing about aluminum vented rotors?

and i have a 620 will i need to upgrade the mastercylinder? ive read both yes and no..

wait this bracket will bolt onto a 620 right? argh my head is spinning so much data.

Dataholic: Thanks for that reply... it makes a lot of sense. I'd still like to do this, but I'm concerned about it's impact on the inspection... does anyone think this could be an issue with that?

I have no issues with buying the brackets myself... Maybe I'm making assumptions here, but I don't think Beebani or Fineline would knowingly make something to endanger someone, especially if they're using the brackets themselves... I'm just wondering if the insurance company might have an issue with it just because it's not a "legally approved" modification...

I have no idea what the impact in inspection would be. Remember, West Coast US States don't have Safety inspections on anything except commercial semitrucks, and those are only done on case-by-case basis (usually after an obvious violation). Even the State Patrol inspection for Salvaged vehicles here in Washington is basically to make sure you don't have stolen parts, not a Safety inspection. As long as it stops and the lights work, they care little else. I've taken a car through one. Jason was telling me Canada is far more stringent when bringing cars over the border than we are here, from a Safety standpoint.

As for the Canadian inspection, I don't know what they check. I assume they make sure the brakes work, but do they pull the wheels off? You'll need to ask someone who has witnessed one of these.

Having brought my dad's '90 Sundance from Ontario to BC, I needed a safety inspection to insure it and get plates. Many garages are licensed to do these inspections at a flat rate per vehicle. Wheels removed and brakes checked, E too, pads, shoes, cylinders, hoses, hard lines.. NO leaks allowed! No holes in the underside, I covered two small areas with metal and sprayed rubberized undercoating on it then about 5 cans of flat black to cover any rust on suspension and brake lines. Mirrors, good matching tires, all lights and signals. All seat belts must work. NO exhaust leaks allowed. I had some buddies at the yard do the brakes and it was their suggestion to paint the underside black and replace the exhaust O ring gasket. I then took it to a small rural garage and it passed no problems. For a '90 Sundance it only had 18,000 miles on it so it was good, just old from sitting. I'm sure there's a list on the certification that is checked off by the garage and don't remember all the items. Garages have a little leeway on what's worn or iffy and some times a promise to fix will do, on some things.

It's funny but my dad's car as it was, was probably safer and in better shape than many of the POS that I see every day on the road, go figure.

Thanks Mike, I gotcha... I called ICBC about the inspection standards, and they told me if I'm planning an engine swap I need a structural inspection to make sure the chassis can handle the power of the engine... Then again, they didn't mention anything about brakes, wheels, suspension, steering, etc... I'm not planning on doing any other major work to the truck, so maybe it'll just be the structural inspection. I'll call a shop and ask them... maybe I can just take the chassis in itself before I even start reassembling the car...

Ugh, if I wasn't so keen on having this truck I'd've given up by now... this rebuild process is getting more and more complicated as time goes on, and I haven't even done anything yet!

A cheaper option for the brakes is to get the bracket BEE offers for using the front frontier calipers. They work with the passport rotors as well but aren't as expensive or hard to come by as the Z32 calipers.

With the stock 620 master it should still stop better than drums.

Fil, this was an out of province car, it had to have an inspection to be licensed and insured in BC. If it's already here, it shouldn't need anything. I did some major work on my truck and didn't say or tell anyone. I just recently put a Z24 motor in it, and no one needs to know. As far as I'm concerned I've up-graded to a newer, less polluting motor and they don't need to know. After all who cares?

Damn, I'm startng to sound like I should move to Idaho.:D

2eDeYe;29554']A cheaper option for the brakes is to get the bracket BEE offers for using the front frontier calipers. They work with the passport rotors as well but aren't as expensive or hard to come by as the Z32 calipers.

With the stock 620 master it should still stop better than drums.

price isn't important to me really..

it looks like theyre going for around 150 on ebay.. ill see what my local parts store can get em for new.

i think i will order me a set

• 2 weeks later...

The price looks good, but I have no idea about the quality or anything though. But, the braking surface on the rotors looks a bit small... or is it just me? I'd check out the OEM stuff to compare the total diameters...

The other thing is the width... you've gotta make sure the rotor will fit inside the caliper, and won't be too small (I think too small is bad, right?). And... maybe distance from the front of the actual rotor to the inside of the hub mount? Maybe thickness of the center part? Not sure if it'll make a difference for the brackets or not...

The price looks good, but I have no idea about the quality or anything though. But, the braking surface on the rotors looks a bit small... or is it just me? I'd check out the OEM stuff to compare the total diameters...

The other thing is the width... you've gotta make sure the rotor will fit inside the caliper, and won't be too small (I think too small is bad, right?). And... maybe distance from the front of the actual rotor to the inside of the hub mount? Maybe thickness of the center part? Not sure if it'll make a difference for the brackets or not...

ya.. il just go with new oem stuff

gunna place a big order here next week .. whoopey.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
can you tell me if the disc brake conversion kit you are talking about, can handle some serious stopping power, my 73 620, does 11.60 in the quarter mile. at 115 mph, will this setup work, and are the parts easy to get?

:eek: wow..what do you use to stop with now?

That's some BIG balls to be turning those times in the quarter with a four wheel drum brake truck.

Yes, the disc brakes will be a major improvement.

Jason

That's what i was thinking. :rolleyes: If he's turning those times with the stock brakes from a 73 620, anything would be an upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Fineline, (or anyone else who might know) Have you had anybody run your front brackets with the later 30MM Z32 calipers?

Ive got a set of front and rear cast iron calipers off a 93 N/A 300 with master cylinder and Im hoping they will work.

I dont see why they would not work. The original calipers I used are 26mm width. I dont dee the extra 2mm per side being a big deal. They will definately fit over the rotors and bolt up the same way as the smaller ones. You may just want to keep an eye on them when the pads get close to needing replacement as to not over extend the pots. I really dont think it will be an issue though.

Mklotz... Thats allright, Im glad youre wrong:lol:

Fineline, do you have the brackets made up already or do you make them as the orders come in? Im going to be wanting front and rear.

Also, does anybody have a list of small boosters that are easy to find that will work? I know the B210 but havent seen any, what about sentras, HL510s, earlier Zcars...?