What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

An A series cylinder head has a couple of plugs, for the oil galley passages - on the spark plug side of the head. Sometimes they leak and that's why I was posting this little part, install it while head is apart.

PA160511.jpg

PA160513.jpg

Still needs to be driven in to place.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a little bit about my project. This is how I got it.

received_1586127861676006.jpeg

This is after painting the engine bay and installing the engine and then I painted it temporarily.

received_10207832713162392.jpeg

Right now is back to primer after sending it to a shop to take care of the body work. Witch I am not happy how the work work ended up so I am having them fix it. Found both quarter windows in a lot better shape than the ones I had installed.Also found a set of taillights that I'll be installing.

image24.jpg

image42.jpg

received_10207832713162392.jpeg

There is still a lot to do but little by little is getting there. I am looking for a grille and a rear bumper.

• Like 2

An A series cylinder head has a couple of plugs, for the oil galley passages - on the spark plug side of the head. Sometimes they leak and that's why I was posting this little part, install it while head is apart.

PA160511.jpg

PA160513.jpg

Still needs to be driven in to place.

Thanks for the info!

Things done to my car.

88-91 13b Turbo. Rebuilt and Bridgeported by me. Had a small T-25 turbo at first but swapped to a 71mm T4 that at the moment is leaking oil. Soon I'll be getting a new turbo.

2014-04-04%2012.49.20.jpg2013-09-16%2016.32.10-1.jpg

Ford 9" rear end. Housing shortened with Moser axles and disc brake conversion. For the front suspension I am looking to do a coilover kit but still trying to figure out how to do it.

2014-12-21%2016.38.21.jpg

I did a custom chasis wiring that I am planing on redoing since it is a mess.

2014-06-13%2021.00.23.jpg

The floors got redone and soon I'll be laying down POR 15. Also I am planing on getting 280z seats.

2013-10-19%2016.36.23.jpg

• Like 1

This is more of a did for rather than did to; spent Friday driving from Vegas to Vista, Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports had a ultra close 4 speed that I bought along with some spare gear sets. The new new tranny will cure the current one that is missing half the teeth on third as well as drop the lap times. There are two spots on my home track where the taller 3rd will be a huge help.

Tom

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought rear spoiler and deck lid this week, separated them, sanded them and painted.

PB150534.jpg

Spoiler is 4" is height, I like the way it looks. Used thin weather stripping at leading and trailing edges of spoiler where it mounts to deck lid.

PB150533.jpg

• Like 2

A friend of mine in Vancouver, WA, had two of them. I bought the better of the two. I think he got them from an ex-racer in the Olympia WA. area - not sure. And yes the spoiler on your coupe looks the same, 4" high. Mounted to the deck lid with 2 threaded studs through the edge on each side and 2 more space between them and the center of the deck lid. Studs were 10-32 threads, so thinking they were made state side. I wasn't able to find a name or insignia anywhere on the fiberglass part. Seems to be well made and reasonably light for it size. If i could make copies of this one I would.

PS: Your coupe is looking great!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not posted in a LONG time. I have been commuting in my coupe for several months now. It has been a 50 mile drive (one way). In a couple weeks that will change. 75% of this commute is on freeways at 65 MPH. I bought a 60A five speed from morrison on here and put that in a month or so back. Had a bit of confusion on the throw out bearing that caused some fits but got it done. Put a plug in the backup light switch hole. Had an old drain plug that fit. I ended up grinding it down quite a ways for clearance. When I did that I also added two flats so I could put a wrench on it. Worked great. Here's a couple pics, not the greatest but you get the idea:

image_4.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

Love having the OD! I will need to replace the syncros soon, but it is working nice and puts me at 3000RPM at 65

• Like 2

Over the Christmas break I also did the brake upgrade that Morrison and mklotz put together. My front passenger side caliper was dragging and I needed new rotors anyway. I purchased the brackets, hardware and wheel studs from Morrison.. I sourced the Pulsar calipers, Pulsar brake hoses and 280zx rear rotors from rockauto, I forgot I needed wheel bearing seals so got those locally but could have saved 12 bucks on rockauto. One other thing I did not find on rockauto was the banjo bolts for the hoses, so I got those locally as well. All told I spent $211 on all the parts. Here's all the stuff:

image_3.jpeg

It all goes together pretty easy. Here is the before:

image_2.jpeg

Here is a shot showing the rotor size comparison:

image.jpeg

And an after shot:

image_1.jpeg

The wheels are pushed out the thickness of the rotor since this is not a bolt on the hub arrangement. I have 14x6 Appliance mesh wheels with what I measure to be +11 offset and 185/60's all around. They rubbed some before so I pulled the fenders a bit. I plan on 15 inch wheels at +25 in the future.

The difference in stopping is just flat amazing. No change in effort. Much quicker stopping and gives improved confidence. A great cheap upgrade that uses easily sourced off the shelf parts. Kudos to Morrison and mklotz for the work!

• Like 3

That's awesome. I am in the process of researching whether this upgrade is possible on my 1200 or not. If so it would be a great help if you could list the part numbers on rockauto so its easy for us to find the right parts to buy. Not just for me but everyone else too so we aren't guessing which ones to buy.

Thanks.

I think it would be better to look at the original thread:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24226-1200-brake-upgrade-mklotz70/page-1

But if it is easier, here is the short list:

82-83 280ZX rear rotors

84 Pulsar NX 1.6L front calipers and hoses

Bracket kit from mklotz or Morrison here on ratsun

Banjo bolts (m10x1.0x20.3 long)

If your ute uses the same struts and rotors as our older US spec cars it should work for you. If not then I don't know.

I did have to modify the clips that hold the brake hoses a bit. Sorry no pics of that but it is pretty easy to do once you see the differences.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...