What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Put a frickin' crap ton of sound deadner in it. Cleaned up some wiring under the dash and hooked up some other stuff. Also removed the old crappy radio and installed the e-brake and some of the trim panels.

About to dive head first into the '71 Coupe that has been taking up space in the driveway for the past two years.. as soon as I figure out the brake lights on the latest Roadster project.  So close and yet so far.

• Like 1

my wife and I pulled the seats and rubber floor mats vaccumed the inside put the front on jack stands so we can pull the wheels and install the calipers and bleed the brakes

poored a little gas in the carb and started it for the first time since we brought it home almost 5 years ago

this is now on the front burner to get on the road

we still need to bleech the floor as there was alot of rat turds from its prior home

IMG_20130803_194228_951_zps4f5676b7.jpg

IMG_20130803_194222_073_zpse8fb2116.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Completed a full proctology operation on my Sunny.  Yanked the rear axle and suspension assembly and replaced with all new NOS or rebuilt parts.

Naked with it's pants pulled down :)  (not the best photo)

sunrear.JPG

Stock H145 installed with NOS ring and pinion and literally everything else new. Including all new brakes, lines, drums. Even got a new parking brake cable. 

Installed stock leaf springs with new pads, NOS bushings for the leaf spring shackle mounts.  (Still available new from Nissan)

rearax.JPG

What a difference!  It's smooth, it's quiet, and it's a lot more freeway friendly now.

The only thing I need to do is take my spare junkyard driveshaft to a driveline place and see if they can modify it and fit it with new replaceable u-joints.   

Which brings me to my next post...

Free 1200 ute rear axle, springs and driveshaft.  Includes all mounting hardware also.  I'm pretty sure it's a H165.  It whines, but it can be rebuilt or the pumpkin replaced.  Bolts directly into a 1200 with no track width change.   

Please: If you want it, you have to take it all, and it needs to be picked up in San Diego.  I also need it gone pretty quickly.

I'm no expert on 1200's so ask tech questions here. Someone in this forum can probably answer better than I.  Thanks.  

uteax.JPG

Got someone picking this up.  Thanks!

Free 1200 ute rear axle, springs and driveshaft.  Includes all mounting hardware also.  I'm pretty sure it's a H165.  It whines, but it can be rebuilt or the pumpkin replaced.  Bolts directly into a 1200 with no track width change.   

• 2 weeks later...

Fixing the Sunny up part 2..

Received and installed new carbs from ZTherapy.  My Sunny ran good before, but it's off the hook now.  Installed and tuned these yesterday and drove 100 miles from San Diego to my house this morning.  With the new rear axle and carbs the Sunny is the White Rocket!  Before, doing 75mph was at least 4000 rpms or better.  Now it's 75-80mph at around 3500-3700. 

The diff is quiet and the springs are still firm, but not nearly as jolting as the old ones.  The new shocks damp real nice, too..

Some photos..

during the install

carbs.JPG

This one's for DatsunFreak.

Note the float bowls in relation to the carbs.  The rubber fuel line length from the fuel rail determines the tilt.  Quite clever...

carbs1.JPG

I have a junkyard driveshaft currently installed, but up next is a new shaft with replaceable u-joints.  I've been shopping driveline shops and the pricing has been from $350 and up for a new driveshaft.  :o :no: :poop:    

I'm going to keep shopping for a bit.. :thumbup:

Quick cell phone photo at a lovely rest stop half way from San Diego to my place..

restop.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks, I was a bit relieved after we talked at JCCS and saw that the float bowls did indeed tilt...

Those are definitely A12 carbs, so good on ya. Sorry if I needlessly worried you.   :rofl:

I have a junkyard driveshaft currently installed, but up next is a new shaft with replaceable u-joints.  I've been shopping driveline shops and the pricing has been from $350 and up for a new driveshaft.  :o :no: :poop:    

I'm going to keep shopping for a bit.. 

For what it's worth, when building "from scratch", that's about the going rate. If you get lucky and find one that fits both ends and just needs to be retubed, it ought to be less than $200. 

For what it's worth, when building "from scratch", that's about the going rate. If you get lucky and find one that fits both ends and just needs to be retubed, it ought to be less than $200. 

Ztherapy has a stellar reputation so I was more concerned than worried.  I was happy when I opened the box, though..

The tube on my drive shaft is fine, but the staked u-joints feel a little rough in spots when you rotate them, so they need replacing.  I have a second drive shaft I pulled out of a junkyard, and it's the worse of two.  At least I have a sample to show the drive line shop. 

My Sunny is in pretty nice condition, so I am going to go ahead and have a new one made and be done with it.  The next owner will be able to replace the u-joints if necessary :)