What have you done to your 1200 lately

OpelWagenGT

SMURF%20Body%20001.jpg

SMURF%20Body%20002.jpg

SMURF%20Body%20003.jpg

I took my carbon-fiber spoiler off, so a couple of the holes are from that project. However IF you decided to mount one of these, figure out the holes on the curve FIRST, cause as they go in, the forward mounting studs move forward , it was a bit challenging! BUT I liked the way it tuned out.  I did some metal carving on the trunk lid frame.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

That came out looking pretty good, I like it. When you first started talking about it, I was thinking a tonneau (that ain't spelled right) cover.

It was an option that I saw in the parts catalog. Much like the covers you can get in some SUV's that hide your stuff back in the cargo area.  I think it only worked if you had the rear seat back folded forward. Never actually saw one though.

2 hours ago, Morrisun said:

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Coupe_Tonneau_Cover

Saw  two them given away at the Blue Lake Picnic some years ago, I would have traded, bough,  swap-- OR?

I didn't have a 1200 coupe at the time!

That is pretty much what I was originally going to make, but Kelmo inadvertently gave me the idea to make a rigid one so i did...  ?

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 8:45 PM, KELMO said:

Took it to get groceries, saw the sign and could not resist.

In case you can't read it, the sign says "Oversized Vehicle Parking

I parked my 1200 in a fuel efficient vehicle spot once.  By today's standards its pretty fuel efficient so i think it qualifies ?

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
I have been looking/collecting 13x8  slotted Ansen wheels for the past few months. Bolt patterns seem to be 4 on 4.25, Ford and 4 on 4 Morris Minor, Sprite or Midget- Bristish cars.
Ansen wheels seem to have shank style lug nuts/with washers, which I find to be a pain in the ASS!

I found a machinist willing to change the bolt pattern in the wheels to 4 on 4.5 and machine seat to accept steel insert seats. Plus he machined the back of the mounting surface, front and rear lips as being used wheels curb rash is the rule not the exception!  This was more about function then fourm.
2abf489e-cd22-4218-8eb0-16dc6094f401-ori

0ccd0ea3-f86c-44a4-80d1-2f01e3e03d67-ori

5e5b6cf8-002e-4166-ac20-7673d6351abd-ori
I like the way they turned out, and will work very nicely for mounting slicks and slpping them on Smurf for those dry not too hot auto-x days this coming year.
Edited by Morrisun
spelling error
  • Like 1
On 12/21/2018 at 8:43 AM, Seeker > 620 KC said:

What year vehicle  and model vehicles are those seats out of???  The color would exactly match my blue 79 620 !

Hate to pop your balloon, but these will not match. They were not blue when I bought them.  ?

The seats are from a 2010 Miata, but they were dyed using an SEM dye called "Shadow Blue", which is a very spot on match for Datsuns with dark blue interior like ours. 

23 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Hate to pop your balloon, but these will not match. They were not blue when I bought them.  ?

The seats are from a 2010 Miata, but they were dyed using an SEM dye called "Shadow Blue", which is a very spot on match for Datsuns with dark blue interior like ours. 

Datsunfreak, that is awesome news. You’re my new hero!

I have too many blues to match. what color were they before you sprayed them with dye?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:18 PM, Seeker > 620 KC said:

what color were they before you sprayed them with dye?

Orange?

Before...

http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/image/37703-20180217_102745jpg/

After...

http://datsun510.com/index.php?/gallery/image/37704-20180217_104823jpg/

If I had it to do over, I'd have tried to find some black ones. Easier changing black to blue than orange to blue...

Or I'd have just changed my interior to black. I ended up dyeing every piece of my interior eventually just so it all matched perfectly, so I really could have gone any color.

But since I had already ordered the custom blue gauges, I stuck with it...  :)

Side note, the only sporty blue seats I have found that do match are from a Honda S2000.

Now, S2000s are already rare, and only about 10% of them came with blue interior, sooooo...

Blue died out in the 80s with pretty much every automaker except Honda. They did a few blue interiors in the 90s, but most of those seats are cloth (except the S2000). They are durable though, so if you're okay with cloth maybe dig for those in the junkyard?

• 6 months later...

SMURF%20RR%20Quarter%20panel%20replaceme

Sometimes picking at a scab is not the best thing to do..

Panel had been welded in, beat in & filled with plastic filler.
SMURF%20LR%20panel%20replacement%20004_1
Surgery, off with the old and on with some better old??
SMURF%20LR%20panel%20replacement%20002_2
SMURF%20LR%20panel%20replacement%20001_1
Lots of careful cutting and fitting on both replacement panel and the car.
SMURF%20LR%20panel%20replacement%20004_2
Time for some help
2019%20Powerland%20Datsun%20Meet%20016.j
Back together.
Trunk floor replacement & fuel cell install to come...
  • Like 1