crossover parts for 68 roadster?

Spades

I have a few questions. my boss is restoring a 1968 datsun roadster, and is in the process of a much needed brake overhaul.

I have several questions, because I have had very little luck finding parts for this car. what I am wondering, did datsun make any parts that can swap over to the roadster? the parts we can find are rare and expensive...he would be more than happy to go with parts from other datsuns/nissans, the car is not being restored to OEM, he will be swapping a higher output 4cyl and a 5spd manual into it, and any more readily available parts he would be happy to convert to.

so, what I am wondering is, would a master cylinder and brake/suspension parts from a certain year of Z or 510 swap without too much hassle into his 68 fairlady?

im sure there are answers somewhere on this site, I just dont want so spend too much time hunting, since I am not getting paid for it,lol.

thanks in advance for the help!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.311s.org has quite a bit of info for restoring a roadster and even a list of parts that can cross over..

Myself I get my 68's parts from http://www.datsunparts.com

The KA24 is a bolt in swap, you'll have to cut some for an SR20.

Some have even swapped in the aluminum V8 from the 1960s Buick and Oldsmobile compacts. Assuming you could find on that had been properly filled with antifreeze and wasn't a thin aluminum shell around oxidized yellow aluminum crud. I believe TR8s used a version of this engine, so the foreign sports car section of the junk yard might be a good place to start looking.

There are LOTS of parts available for this car. Problems is they usually are expensive. There is an easy 200sx rear disc conversion that can be done and there is a guy building complete bolt in RX7 LSD rear end swaps. I believe he also has a bolt on Z32 front brake swap and at least one other offers a Wilwood front kit. As previously stated, check 311s.org.

Mark

thanks for the help guys! and yeah, the parts can be found, not much locally, but there are places to find them, its just really expensive....the write up on the website listed for using a 510 master cyl and volvo front calipers will save tons of cash...I have only been working for him for about 3 years, but he has had his own auto repair shop for over 20 years, so he has alot of custom machining and parts connections, and he is having the shop mechanics working on the car for him, so, the reality of it is, modifying something else to work is prolly going to be WAY cheaper than some of the bolt in parts for his roadster.

thanks again for the help!(he says thank you as well for helping save $$$)

P.S. at the moment, it looks like the car is getting a hopped up z24...may not be the fastest fairlady on the road, but, it should still have enough zip for what he wants.

Edited by Spades

Before you/he gets too carried away with a Z24 swap, check a couple things. Hood clearance may be a problem due to the height the engine may need to be mounted at to have room for the oil pump without major crossmember surgery. KA24E/DE however requires much less hacking to install and is probably a better engine than the Z.

Mark

Before you/he gets too carried away with a Z24 swap, check a couple things. Hood clearance may be a problem due to the height the engine may need to be mounted at to have room for the oil pump without major crossmember surgery. KA24E/DE however requires much less hacking to install and is probably a better engine than the Z.

Mark

Z24 isnt worth the headaches IMHO. Go with the KA24DE or SR20 conversion.

no original engine, it was purchased minus the drivetrain.

I dont think he has anything against making the factory hood scoop a little taller to accomidate the extra height...unfortunately the previous owner put ugly looking louvers all over the beautiful factory hood scoop, so the top of the scoop will require new sheet metal anyway.

at the moment, he is having the brakes done first, then he will be working on the suspension and rear end. then the bodywork will be tackled, as well as some of the interior.

the engine/trans will be done last, right before paint. I don't know how much effort it will be to pop the z24 in there, both myself and the mechanic he has working on it have advised him to go with a SR20 or a CA18det instead of the Z24, but the fact that he has a freshly rebuilt z24 with a bunch of go fast parts on it already that he purchased for next to nothing, means that he wants to use that motor and trans if at all possible.

if when we set the motor in there and it looks like he will be spending more to make it work than he would spend buying a JDM front clip w/ a sr or ca motor, he will prolly go with a differant engine than the Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Rockauto.com has a surprising amount of parts for Roadsters. Be warned, the listing for brake shoes is the wrong number, it's a software glitch, most stores list the wrong one also. I'll see if I can find the right #.

Some of the brake stuff can be updated to newer parts, but you need to go to metric brake lines.