wanted auto L trans

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a '78 3N71B truck auto. Fluid is bright red and I drove it home last year. Sitting on some plywood under a tarp. Also have a L4N71B that fit an L motor ('84 910) with electric on/off overdrive 4th gear. (just bragging)

4-speed autos are great, but huge. Probably wouldn't fit a truck without cutting. :D

Back when I had 3-speed autos, I had to dump them.

Don't think so Bleach. I put the 3N71B from a '78 620 beside it and they were within a whisker of each other for length. I assume the truck auto and std are the same length.

On a light car like a 1200, B 210 or 510 it would up shift and cruise with a big motor, but I would think the heavier the vehicle the more it would jump up and down a gear as your foot would be more 'into it'.

Bleach: I drove a GM Astro van with a converter lock up feature (not O/D) and it was constantly jumping up and down on slight hills. Is the Nissan O/D similar or does it stay in O/D above a set speed?

I'm not talking about length, I'm talking about girth... my overdrive auto was FAT. :D

The Maxima 4-speed was a true overdrive. I didn't drive it enough to really pay attention to details like the lock feature or if it even had one. It was geared really tall I remember. Overdrive was high, and it had a 3.36 R180 rear gear. Way too tall I think for the L24. Felt like a 4-cyl all the time.

I'm not talking about length, I'm talking about girth... my overdrive auto was FAT. :D

The Maxima 4-speed was a true overdrive. I didn't drive it enough to really pay attention to details like the lock feature or if it even had one. It was geared really tall I remember. Overdrive was high, and it had a 3.36 R180 rear gear. Way too tall I think for the L24. Felt like a 4-cyl all the time.

L4N71B top and 3N71B under. Looks like the main three speed was moved back 6" or so and fourth put between it and the bell. Yeah kind of snug. Would fit my truck if I wanted one and had a Z bell. Besides Maxima, what other cars had them?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0152.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0152.jpg

The 910 Maxima was the only thing to use it with an L-series bell. But it was used with the CA in the 200SX, the VG in the 200SX and 300ZX, the Pathfinder and Hardbody, and various other cars including Mazdas and Mitsubishis. You can probably find one with the NAPS-Z pattern in a '88-89 D21 Hardbody, but finding a 4-cyl automatic hardbody with overdrive might be difficult. They didn't use the L4N71 after '89, switching to the RL4R01A. Which still would probably fit the NAPS-Z...

The 910 Maxima was the only thing to use it with an L-series bell. But it was used with the CA in the 200SX, the VG in the 200SX and 300ZX, the Pathfinder and Hardbody, and various other cars including Mazdas and Mitsubishis. You can probably find one with the NAPS-Z pattern in a '88-89 D21 Hardbody, but finding a 4-cyl automatic hardbody with overdrive might be difficult. They didn't use the L4N71 after '89, switching to the RL4R01A. Which still would probably fit the NAPS-Z...

Geez...how the f*** do you know all that sh...stuff? :eek:

The pattern is teh same but all RWD KAs came with variants of the 4R01 (L or E, 240SXs had the RE4R01A and trucks had the RL4R01A). The ONLY place to find the right pattern is the 4-cyl, 2WD Automatic Overdrive Pathfinder and Hardbody '86-89. The 4X4s only used the 3-speed. Oh, and the early (87-89) Axxess van, but those got recalled and most were destroyed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.