Crazy Datsun 510

INDY510

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor and 6 speed weighs 145 lbs, 125 hp, 16k rpm, and 165 mph

I would mount the motor as close in front of the diff as you can. A friend put a Ski Doo motor on a mount above a B 210 axle with a sprocket welded onto it. Had a sprocket on the motor (you could vary the sizes to get the gearing to match the motor torque) Anyway he welded a motorcycle front on it and made a trike. I drove it once (no brake system) so had to be careful. He drove it at over 70 Mph back in the day. The snowmobile had a variable Vee belt drive instead of a tranny and worked well. Too well and TOO scary.

Your numbers seem right but keep in mind that this doesn't tell the whole story. 125 HP but at 16KRPMs, just how much torque is available at 1,000 RPMs when you let out the clutch? This isn't a 550 lb motorcycle it's now a 1,900 lb motor cycle (3 1/2 times heavier)and with LOTS of wind resistance too. Proper low initial gearing is essential to quickly allow the motor to rev into it's working range.

The more I see this the more interested I get.

I'm with you Mike.

If I were going to do something like this I would mount it as close to the diff as posible.

I wonder why you chose this perticular motor tho. Is it because it's what you got on hand or what?

reason why is that something like this has alot of fab work and engineering involved. So it would seem {to me as a hot rodder} that using the most powerfull engine available while still being able to get all the parts I wanted. Like a zx-14 or Hyabusa

Great Idea. keep us updated.

I'm with you Mike.

If I were going to do something like this I would mount it as close to the diff as posible.

I wonder why you chose this perticular motor tho. Is it because it's what you got on hand or what?

reason why is that something like this has alot of fab work and engineering involved. So it would seem {to me as a hot rodder} that using the most powerfull engine available while still being able to get all the parts I wanted. Like a zx-14 or Hyabusa

Great Idea. keep us updated.

Yeah, like this 1,100 cu in monster...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/GAA-17-jpegford1100tank.jpg[/img]"]GAA-17-jpegford1100tank.jpg

Aluminum block, 32 valve DOHC V8

Bore 5.4" or 137.16 mm

Stroke 6" or 152.4 mm

Displacement 1100 Cu. In. or 18.0 Liters

Compression Ratio 7.5

Torque 1050 Ft-Lbs @ 2200 RPM

Horsepower 500 @ 2600 RPM

This was before the triple four bbls. Originally it was designed as an air plane engine almost 65 years ago ...

If you can get a one piece drive shaft that will reach to the differential you're good to go. If you have to cobble together sprockets, chains and half shafts, forget it. Keep it simple. Having the motor at the back with a single U joint connecting to the diff. would be better, but this has merit maybe as a second choice.

Enough room... what about dual motors? Eight cylinders @ 16KRPMs.!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! that thing is HUGE!

1050ft lb at 2600 can you say burn outs..

I guess the low rpm ratings are because of it's aircraft background. A prop can only be spun soo fast than boom.

7.5-1 comp ratio. Masive turbo potential.

hey Indy, how you plannen to get the power to the diff from up there?

WOW! that thing is HUGE!

1050ft lb at 2600 can you say burn outs..

I guess the low rpm ratings are because of it's aircraft background. A prop can only be spun soo fast than boom.

7.5-1 comp ratio. Masive turbo potential.

Want to hear one run???

Want to hear one run???

You know it.

This is the stock engine that started out as a 60 degree V12 for an air plane. A V8 was needed for the Sherman tank so Ford (the inventor of V8s) lopped four cylinders off and made this. All aluminum. 24 volt starter. Twin magneto.

This is the stock engine that started out as a 60 degree V12 for an air plane. A V8 was needed for the Sherman tank so Ford (the inventor of V8s) lopped four cylinders off and made this. All aluminum. 24 volt starter. Twin magneto.

A Sherman tank engine from the early '40s used in the second world war, designed and built by Ford. It is and was their first OHC engine. Because it was made originally for a plane it had to be powerful and light, hence the all aluminum block and heads with four valves per cylinder. If the V8 was 500HP the V12 would have been 750. When you think about it, this was WAY ahead of it's time.

The 521 and newer datto's trucks had a 2 piece driveline. The 521 had a splinned connection so it could slip while the live axle moves durring suspension travel. The 620 has a flexible carrier bearing witch allows the tranny joint to act as the slipper. I think for your setup the 521 DL would be the best. I was reading up on a bike engine car forum. All of them have carrier bearings.... It must be something to do with DL angle or something... I want the hayabusa engine for my 1200. The 1200 weighs 1635 in stock form.... it will be easier to get to the lower teens :) The biggest problem is finding a hayabusa engine for less than 2500 bucks.... maybe I will be running the r6 engine :)

All I know is the equation works for the quarter mile. It doesn't even take torque into consideration..... so it will have to be faster than a L motor :)

Quarter mile time = 6.9446 x ( weight / hp ) ^ .2841

Just spent a hour trying to track down a car that had two engines in it with a unique throttle cable to run them at the same time. It might have been Italian and Elvis may have had one, but as soon as I type Elvis I get nothing but cheap plastic memorabilia shit and no info. Maybe my memory...

Just spent a hour trying to track down a car that had two engines in it with a unique throttle cable to run them at the same time. It might have been Italian and Elvis may have had one, but as soon as I type Elvis I get nothing but cheap plastic memorabilia shit and no info. Maybe my memory...

I went to the church of elvis once :D it was ran by 1 lady and it was open 24/7 haha yep me, Naz and a few other buddies stopped :D

2 engines sounds like a cool idea, but shit getting one to work right sounds like a big enough bitch.....