620 Dash Removal

]2eDeYe

So I've gotten a few questions about how to remove a dash.
I have a dash disassembled and as they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words'
...or was it 'this thread is worthless without pics' tongue.gif

Picture017.jpg

Picture018.jpg

So those pic's show the back of the dash. There are the 3 screws at the top of the dash and 2 screws at each side on the bottom.
I used a ratchet with a phillips bit in a socket to remove the top ones with the windshield in.

Now for the plastic peice...

hidden screw wink.gif
Picture019.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Screw holding the tach...
Picture021.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Don't forget to remove the switch and the lighter
Picture026.jpg

Be carefull during disassembly, don't want to deal with this :rolleyes:
Picture022.jpg

Here's a couple camparison shots...
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025.jpg

You can see where the screw for the cluster is located in this one.
Picture027.jpg

Hope this helps out some peep's. I know I trashed one or to dash inserts before I figured out where everything was that holds the dash together...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No entiendo... did you use some magical ratchet that can pass through glass? I tried that exact thing and couldn't budge those three screws on top. I had to use a combination of tiny vice grips, impact driver, and grinder... Scratched up the screw recesses but good :(. One of the more frustrating things I've done in life.

Goes to show how a few degrees difference in the design stage can save bundles of future generation's time and effort.

• Like 1
2eDeYe;20432']So I've gotten a few questions about how to remove a dash.

I have a dash disassembled and as they say 'a picture is worth a thousand words'

...or was it 'this thread is worthless without pics' :P

So those pic's show the back of the dash. There are the 3 screws at the top of the dash and 2 screws at each side on the bottom.

I used a ratchet with a phillips bit in a socket to remove the top ones with the windshield in.

Now for the plastic peice...

hidden screw ;)

Screw holding the tach...

Don't forget to remove the switch and the lighter

Be carefull during disassembly' date=' don't want to deal with this :rolleyes:

Here's a couple camparison shots...

You can see where the screw for the cluster is located in this one.

Hope this helps out some peep's. I know I trashed one or to dash inserts before I figured out where everything was that holds the dash together...[/quote']

Nice pic's !;) Saves a million words in type. Was wondering , is that a Chevy

emblem on the back of that one cluster where the tach goes ???? Is this just a simple block off , or a Chevy tach that will bolt there ?:confused: If its

a type of tach , please let us all know the sec's;)

• Like 1

The only problem I had with removing the gauge cluster was the damn lighter ass. I think when I put mine back together I will be buying a new one that is easier to screw in. The stock one sucks! I was lucky to have already removed the heater core and everything else in the interior before working on it and having small strong hands helped...

• Like 1

Haha, ya that lighters a bitch...:D

gbjoey

The block off says DATSUN on it not CHEVY...and it's a DATSUN tach ;)

copacetickid

As far as the screws, I used a bit from my impact driver and was able to crack them loose. I had enough room to push down on the head of the ratchet with my hand.

Maybe yours were corroded... How did you get a grinder in there? :eek:

• Like 1
2eDeYe;20482']Haha' date=' ya that lighters a bitch...:D

[b']gbjoey[/b]

The block off says DATSUN on it not CHEVY...and it's a DATSUN tach ;)

copacetickid

As far as the screws, I used a bit from my impact driver and was able to crack them loose. I had enough room to push down on the head of the ratchet with my hand.

Maybe yours were corroded... How did you get a grinder in there? :eek:

Do not in any way push against the windshield. I did, hardly touched it with my knuckles, you can guess what happened...

• Like 1

They weren't corroded at all, but they had those grabbing lock washers and someone had cranked down hard on them... although it didn't seem like it had been taken off before. I didn't grind the bolts, I ground the clip-nuts from the bottom where they are bent, then turned them. BTW, does anyone have a few spares of those? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I may have a few spares in a month or so.

Mike. I was actually able to push off the A-pillar and the roof with my side and back...Might make a good yoga move lol..

Joey I guess that does sorta look like a chevy emble from the back of the block off plate. :P

• Like 1
Once the glass went, I took it out, ... funny how much easier it was to get at those mounting screws then.

NO S%$t Mike!........

OH and BTW..if you turn that blockoff plate over..it really does look like a "Chevy" emblem...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO "Ratsun" really could mean a Rat motor stuffed into a "Datsun"

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

Theres a lot of dash removal questions... but this thread right here is King of them.  showing me exactly where the damn screws are is clutch.   I'm taking my dash out to re-wire it and remove lots of old wires the kid who had it before me left int here.  thanks for this!

• Like 2
Theres a lot of dash removal questions... but this thread right here is King of them.  showing me exactly where the damn screws are is clutch.   I'm taking my dash out to re-wire it and remove lots of old wires the kid who had it before me left int here.  thanks for this!

Props to you for being relatively new here(21 posts) and bothering to use the search function. 

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

In spite of the useful pictures, my dash plate seems unwilling to be removed.  3 upper screws, a lower screw (that also held the flasher relay), ......anything else?  I even sprayed lubricant around the edges of the panel.

if it remains stuck, would removing the whole dah make sense?

• Like 1

That (removing the lighter)did the trick.  Also, realizing that the plastic panel was flush against sheet metal and that the sheet metal was staying put.  So, at first when I slipped a finger in the lighter hole and hooked it to try and pull, I was also working against the sheet metal.

Thanks, again.

• Like 1