Leaf spring pads

Duncan

Can anyone recommend what material to use between leaf springs? I'm swapping the rear axle in my 1200 back to stock, and I just pulled apart the leaf springs for sandblast and paint. The material that was in there just crumbled away. (as I expected)

Seems that all I have been able to locate are very specific pads made for GM and Ford vehicles. I seem to recall that someone offered some sort of teflon or delrin material in 2"-3" widths, but I can't locate any now.

Anyone know of any source for something more generic? Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I share your hunt. Years ago JC Whitney offered knitted polypropyline pads impregnated with heavy duty wheel bearing grease, but since they have gone broke and reorganized several times since, these are no longer in their catalogues. Might have to cut up some kitchen scrubbers made to clean teflon fry pans and see how much grease I can convince them to hold.

Thanks for the tip guys. I had a set of 1200 Coupe springs de-arched at a local spring shop, and they told me they would put new pads in. I'll ring them up tomorrow and see if they'll sell me some 2" wide material for my current set.

I'll see what they say and post it up here..

I did go by the spring shop yesterday and they weren't sure what they used on my old springs. They had some generic rubber pads, but they didn't look like they work on my 1200 springs. I may just see if I can find some teflon and cut some 2" strips..

• 3 weeks later...

Mike:

I installed cutting board plugs- 1" in diameter into the rear leaf springs of my Datsun 1200 coupe. I didn't disassemble the springs instead I place jack stand under the body and let the rear end hang. Put jack under rear end so as not to put that weight on the shocks. The leaf springs open a little. I pried the leafs apart- took out what was left of the old and installed the pulgs! Thanks' MIKE great idea- Bloody brilliant!!