what engine to put in my 520?

pucancakes

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dime Quarterly, Volume 7 Issues 2 & 3 have an excellent engine swapping guide that briefly discusses the options for 510's. Still good info for any Datsun.

I'm thinking cheap 'n' relatively easy for you would be an L or NAPS Z motor, but I'll let the experienced swappers comment.

I'm with these guys. It all depends on what you want it to do. A nice L-20b with a 5 speed is going to be the easiest. You might also want to look into swapping the third member with the motor. More power means you can get away with a lower gear.

I'm curious why that would eliminate the ka? I found my ka with tranny for $400, spent another 3-400 on parts. I could see an sr becoming pretty spendy, but ka's seem to be fairly easy to find especially if there a lot of "drifters" around.

Obviously it would take a little more effort to put one in a 520, but I would be interested in seeing that motor in a 520.:D

well i did find a deal on a sr20det. 650 for the bare motor (block/head) n trans. i can find KA's no prob. but i guess the thing that deters me from a KA/SR swap is the issue with the steering linkage. i would like to know how to the swap would go if i decided to make it rhd. i dunno how low a KA/SR would sit but i dont want the oil pan or anything on the floor (except frame rails or doors) because the truck will be bagged. its a damn shame that trying to stock floor bd via building a new frame wont be worth it since i was looking @ the frame its small as it is already.

i shoulda clarified that 1500 tops for motor/trans alone. not including labor, parts, n shit. i know ill get ragged on for this on but if im going to get serious about a completely different motor that required extensive amount of work, i wants a f20c. seen one in a 510 before and all i can say is wow. but for now., jsut something "simple"

im in temecula. the j13 is there. lol ill find out what it needs to get it running this weekend. i guess u can say i like to haul ass when i drive (and i drive a lot for worl). i avg 80 mph on the fwy so can only imagine what itll put on the 65hp monster. i want the motor to able to do that no prob.

so can someone fill me in on doing a lz22 or 24? pros? cons? the guy i bought it from mentioned that and that sounded appealing to me.

anyone got an online file of those DQ issues on that article :P

I'm curious why that would eliminate the ka? I found my ka with tranny for $400, spent another 3-400 on parts. I could see an sr becoming pretty spendy, but ka's seem to be fairly easy to find especially if there a lot of "drifters" around.

Obviously it would take a little more effort to put one in a 520, but I would be interested in seeing that motor in a 520.:D

My comment was based on what I've heard and read, and what I've heard and read is that a KA swap will normally run near $2000 before you're done. Obviously, as you pointed out, that isn't always the case, which is why I defer to those who've actually been in the lion's den.

jwilk i kno what u mean. i just took my 520 out for the first time this past weekend. i was on I4 here in fl doing about 60 ( was afraid to take it any higher) and it sounded like i was doin 100. i thought for sure something was going to shoot out the engine... lol. i could sure use a 5th gear on this thing. and yes it does 0-60 in about 30 to 45 minutes. im so used to my altima se that it seemed like forever. what can i do to remedy this until i get my ka swap on da way?

also do i understand correctly that its better to use a truck ka than a 240 ka? i have a 67 l520.

I dont know as I have no experienge with either. I do know that the LZ2.2 seems to be the popular mod favored over the 2.4. I think I read somewhere that the 2.4 is prone to cracking? I guess it all boils down to how much modding you want to do to make it work. Dont forget that unless you have them already your looking at $500 or so for carberators. As far as HP # its up to the ampunt of work you put into the internals. A "well" prepped and tuned L20b will out perform a pieced together LZ2.4 any day.

I recently went driving with a group of Datsun guys. 2 SR powered wagons, 1 FJ powered wagon, and a longrod 2.3 L motor powered Bluebird. The 2.3 smoked EVERYBODY even though it was 30 year old technology.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are blowing my mind. I know the NAPZ. Had one in my '66 520 in high school. Now these others your talking about, ka, sr, LZ's FJ?? What are these engines out of? Could someone bring me up to speed? Please!!

For someone 38 years old, I feel like a little kid listening to Captian Kurk talk about molly fusion crystals.

Jester

obviously these are engine codes...

KA24DE 240sx's in america- dohc 2.4 litre inline 4

SR20DE(T) Silvias (240sx) in japan- dohc 2.0 litre inline 4 (turbo)

LZ... what redeye said

FJ not familiar

don't forget CA18DE(T) umm... 200sx in america and newer 240sx's in japan... various others i think, not positive other than the 200sx (silvia s12 in japan, gazelle in aus.) dohc 1.8 litre inline 4 (turbo)

basically you can put whatever the hell you want in there that will fit between the frame rails... that covers anything from a stock replacement up to a sbc and beyond. fact is that it's actually kind of basic.. motor mounts, control wiring, driveshaft adapter... maybe some firewall/tranny tunnel mods... when you break it down to basics... there's not a whole lot involved in dropping in a new motor.

also... wikipedia is your friend when doing engine research. it gives excellent info on stock engines, what vehicles they're in, output numbers and all that good stuff.