Adding Oil Through Shifter

Orange620

The fill plug on the 280Z 5 speed we just put in our 620 won't budge. I'm going to try to put heat on the case near the hole, but anyway I read on here of somebody adding oil through the shifter hole. Does the shift lever have to be removed to do that?

There's no oil in it now so I was going to add the full quantity. The 4 speed takes 3.4 pints. What about the 5 speed?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fill plug on the 280Z 5 speed we just put in our 620 won't budge. I'm going to try to put heat on the case near the hole, but anyway I read on here of somebody adding oil through the shifter hole. Does the shift lever have to be removed to do that?

There's no oil in it now so I was going to add the full quantity. The 4 speed takes 3.4 pints. What about the 5 speed?

what are you using to remove the plug?, whatever you are using, put a breaker bar behind it, 4 and 5 speeds trans takes about the same amount of oil.

Adding oil thru the shifter isn't going to work. There is supposed to be a seal between the shift rod and the transmission. It usually gets to leaking pretty bad but there isn't supposed to be a fluid path from the shifter into the transmission (or vice versa).

If you do try pouring fluid in there, all you are going to do is well lube the shifter ball socket, not that that isn't a bad idea.

Here is my method.. hit it with some pb blaster .. wait about an hour then heat up the plug and surrounding with a torch ... have a bowl of ice handy so that right after you heat it up hold a ice cube to the end of the plug sticking out .. to try and cool the plug as much as possible without cooling the case. then wrench on it... This has worked for me on plugs that the shop couldnt even get out.. ... good luck!

The plug has a protruding 11/16" square. I can only get a large crescent or a vice grip on it. I don't think they make square sockets. I tried heat on the case near the plug. I'll try more.

vise grips not going to work, cresent wrench will work but you have to use a cheater bar like the other gentleman said, or a pipe wrench with a cheater bar

You don't need a square socket. A 12-point socket will work in most situations. Of course if it's really stuck, that might just round off (or break the socket).

It did work. A 3/4" 12 point socket fit nice and snug and with heat and a long breaker bar which I pushed with my foot(under the truck), it came loose.

Thanks for the assist to all.

If it's rounded of, and it likely is or will be... use a large plumber's pipe wrench. slip a length of steel pipe over the handle to lengthen it for leverage. Once off wrap the threads with plumber's teflon tape or anti seize compound for next time. Or grab a good one from another tranny or rear end.

• 5 months later...

The plug has a protruding 11/16" square. I can only get a large crescent or a vice grip on it. I don't think they make square sockets. I tried heat on the case near the plug. I'll try more.

For future reference; they do make a square drive socket, they call it an 8-point socket ... here's the web address for the 11/16" from craftsman.. http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00944225000P?vName=Tools+%26+Equipment&keyword=8+point+socket

I've actually run into one I couldn't get loose, not even with a cheater pipe. It was on a 240sx and I suspect they stripped it somehow. No amount of heat or leverage would fix it. Those trannies can be filled from the shift housing, which is what we did.