How the Bloody F**K Do I get that bastard off?

PtheDude

I really do apologize to all of ya..being a welder for so damn many years and also workin as a sheet metal man before that..(over 40 years in the aerospace and automotive industry)..I just found it easy to do what I did to the white truck....really it isn't that hard IF you could get the center section "wings welded....then it is just a mater of drilling, tapping, locating the holes in the support, and then just bolting it back in place...ya ya I know easy for me to say huh...again sorry guys...

fixedit.jpg

TRUCKEE5.jpg

fixedit-1.jpg

Oh and it really isn't showin off is it...just tryin to pass on my experience.....see I can do this, but when it comes to rebuildin a motor...gotta watch the Hainz video...so we all have something to offer...

My mate did the same trick when he swapped in a 1JZ-GTE into his '85 Toyota PU.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cutting out the core support sounds like a pretty good idea, but I think Pac Coast has a slightly better setup... although it would require removal of most of the front end in order to pull the engine, but with the right tools it shouldn't take too long...

Pac Coast: Do you think you could give a rundown on what had to be done in order to remove the entire support? I'm assuming it's mostly just cutting the support off and welding in brackets to the inner fenders...

That's a 620, correct? Possibly a stupid question (although one I can't answer until I get my garage), but would it be a similar procedure on the 521?

And possibly a stupider question, but where do the bolts go? I understand what you're saying, and I can see the holes in the little "lip" on the inner fenders, just over the wheel wells, and it seems as if that's where you have it bolted together, but I can't actually see evidence of any bolts used to hold the whole thing together...

I did almost the same thing with "Ol Yeller" 3 years ago...but I had to actually use a torch to get the old support out...Pretty much bent out of shape and the spot welds were hard to recognize......I just cut the old one out close to the spotwelds and left myself sort of a flange to bolt to..ground everythign smooth clamped the new support in place and drilled the holes needed...then bolted everything in place...same as what Mark (pac coast) did...If you look close at our photos..you can see the bolts holdin everthing together...and it really does work...as everyone knows I use "Ol Yeller" as a daily driver...been that way for almost 3 years....

progress30025.jpg

gettinready20034.jpg

Looks pretty good... likely going to be the same route I'll be taking as soon as I take over the garage... Hopefully I'll just be able to drill out the welds rather than having to torch them off... I'd rather keep it all pretty basic and avoid any welding or anything unless I have to. Thanks for the info.