Finned Datsun Drum Brakes?

fisch

Hey guys I feel like I have seen some finned drum brakes on someones Datsun recently. What's the story, am I imagining that?

Kinda like this.

0807sr_01_z+finned_buick_drums_early_ford_spindles+walden.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kiz! I was thinking if I ever get a '59 and make it fenderless, it would be sweet to run finned Datsun drums up front on it. But the 58-60 Datsuns are 6-lug too. Might be worth having them filled and redrilled if I was after a true 'all Jap' nostalgia rod.

Early Z cars came stock with finned aluminum rear drums. It's a common swap for 510s. I think Brembo still makes them. Never seen 6 lug though.

Yup

Z aluminum drums are probably NLA by now

Best bet is the JY but make sure it's still usable

Don't get the Iron finned drums if you do find one.

Roadster has it too but not sure if can be used on 510 or if it's aluminum.

You have to flatten or cut the backing plate on the 510, it rubs

I wonder why they only did the rears? Seems like the front brakes generate more the heat and so would benefit more from aluminum drums. Maybe they weren't deemed to be durable/dependable enough? Just wondering.

It seems like a lot of work to do that swap on a 510 now, why not just put on disc brakes? I redid all the drum brakes on my L320 and I have had some problems with them. In hind site I would just do the disc brake swap.

Of course I love the way finned drums look.

Edited by zenndog

they used them on the rear because the aluminum drums were too flexible and the car would dart left or right as the drum flexed. My racing instructor took the aluminum drums off of his 510 and went back to the steel ones for more bite if that means anything. they do look cool but they flex a LOT so braking is less than the steel drums.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for these too. Dime quarterly says just cut down or remove the backing plate on the rear and they fit 510's.

It sounds like the morgon guys like them too.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/datsunbrakedrums.html

They are Nissan part number 43206-E4100.

Listed for $197 on nissanparts.cc

Brimbo # BNA 21031

Aimco # 3529

Napa may have them too they are no longer listed.

-Avery

I was looking for these too. Dime quarterly says just cut down or remove the backing plate on the rear and they fit 510's.

It sounds like the morgon guys like them too.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/datsunbrakedrums.html

They are Nissan part number 43206-E4100.

Listed for $197 on nissanparts.cc

Brimbo # BNA 21031

Aimco # 3529

Napa may have them too they are no longer listed.

-Avery

Each or pair, why not just change to discs for that price?

This pic I showed is actually pretty cool. Looks like they are set up for any lug pattern you want. Neat.

EDIT- Except 6-lug! Of course.

More info:

http://streetrodder.automotive.com/90090/0807sr-finned-buick-drums-early-ford-spindles/index.html

0807sr_01_z+finned_buick_drums_early_ford_spindles+walden.jpg

They would probably sell you a set undrilled or custom drilled. For what they are charging they should work with you. By that point you almost have to get the repo backing plates and everything. 1500-2000 dollars later you should look pretty cool though.:eek::eek:

this is from the article in the link above:

"Any rodder worth his or her salt recognizes the name Bobby Walden. The first thoughts that come to mind when he's mentioned are of his flawless metalworking skills and the first-rate doorskins and roof inserts he handcrafts and sells. But, there is another outstanding product he has designed and marketed for years that many are still unfamiliar with-his early Ford hub kits, which he's made and sold since 1999, that allow the use of '59-66 Buick finned aluminum drums on early Ford spindles. This conversion normally requires machining and fabrication that many traditional hot rodders have shied away from because of the aggravation factor alone.

The Walden hubs are a direct replacement for early Ford iron hubs and are manufactured from 6061-T6 billet aluminum. They feature multi-lug patterns-5-1/2-, 4-3/4-, and 4-1/2-inch-so they can be matched to your favorite wheel choice. Speaking of choices, the conversion not only works utilizing Ford backing plates but also with the repro Lincoln, and custom backing plates from Wilson Welding. Walden has handled all the difficult machining on the hub assemblies, so you'll be able to mate those beloved finned aluminum Buick drums to your Ford spindles with ease. One note, though; the lip of some Ford backing plates may have to be shaved a bit so they don't contact the edge of the shoe surface of the Buick drums.

I noticed the Buick drums and aluminum hubs on Bobby's personal '46 Ford sedan during a recent visit to his Pomona, California, shop. When he mentioned they had more than 133,000 miles on 'em, I was impressed and asked to see a set of the hubs. He not only grabbed a pair off the shelf but actually took the time to show me how easy a conversion it really is, and now I'm seriously considering a pair for my Bruiser A project. In turn, I whipped out my trusty camera and chronicled the demo to share with you, so take a look at this easy conversion."

I am sorry, I used to buy street rodder for a long time and then I got fed up with their constant plugs and ass kiss articles. Any rodder worth his salt? What a bunch of crap. I am going to quit while I am ahead. Something about Street Rodder rubs me the wrong way. What a bunch of Fays, not that there is anything wrong with that.:D

EACH

cuz a used pair (w/life left) can be found for ~$20 :D

ive got 2 sets (not for sale)

I didn't know, I just didn't know.:blink:

Maybe if I ever get a 510 I will ask again just so you can tell me no and I will be sitting here going, wow, that sucks man.:mellow:

Do they fit on a L320? Then I can feel bad. Since my 320 has no performance then finned aluminum drums would be perfect!:lol:

I wonder why they only did the rears? Seems like the front brakes generate more the heat and so would benefit more from aluminum drums. Maybe they weren't deemed to be durable/dependable enough? Just wondering.

It seems like a lot of work to do that swap on a 510 now, why not just put on disc brakes? I redid all the drum brakes on my L320 and I have had some problems with them. In hind site I would just do the disc brake swap.

Of course I love the way finned drums look.

z cars have front disks thats why there only in the back