620/720 shifter FS5W71B L/Z series.

datzenmike

Was in my local J/Y shopping to-day and got these things...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0082.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0082.jpg

L to R, a 720 shifter, slave boots and a spare plastic cup/bushing for the ball on the end. Now this is interesting... the 720 shifter will fit the 620 tranny. It has much larger side bushings than the tiny washers on the 620.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0077.jpg

When the disassembled, there is a stiff spring inside the shifter between the two halves pushing down to remove any slack. You can see the much larger surface on these plastic pieces and the 720 tranny has a larger mating surface to match it. I test fit the 720 shifter on my L tranny and it works.

Two differences... the 720 has two parts an upper(thicker) and a lower. The upper is connected to the lower with rubber inside the thick part to isolate vibrations. The shifter is differently shaped and slightly shorter. There's nothing to stop someone welding the L shifter onto the 720.

BTW, ignore my shifter it's been un-bent a bit, to work with a 4" lift. The bottom is still the same.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0081.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0081.jpg

So if you don't mind a slightly shorter shifter with rubber isolation to reduce tranny whine and vibration, and larger bushings, you should check out the ones on the 720.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some guy on hybridz is trying to build a short shifter that way, and has been having problems with it popping out of gear and not shifting quite right due to that spring. this may not be the case tho mike, i kinda wonder about his competance. yours seems to be quite higher.

I put the 6220 in a vice and a hunk of pipe over the other end and took some of the lower bend out so it wouldn't hit the shifter hole because of the 4" lift. Could bend the 720 back a bit to clear the console if it's close. I'm not looking for a shorter one, just a better and easy to find bushing.

INSIDE.jpg

I do not remember the exact year, but the shifter in my yellow truck is from a "Z"...got it at the local pick a part and did not take the time to look at the Z year...probably a 74-78...but anyway, it is just a slide in and pin with the c clip...and very very nice to shift........................................fits very nicely in the stock location and is quite easy to reach...I am almost 6' and no problem for me...