'72 1200 coupe

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, I did. Shorten the housings to suit vw rabbit inserts would be my suggestion as they are about 3" shorter than the standard 1200 inserts and they have nice firm damping.

I used 240sx brakes on the standard strut too.

Its all pretty straight forward just look at how other people have done there coil over conversions. Just make sure that if your not a compentent welder that you get a good welder to weld the coil over sleeves on for you as you can imagine how serious the consequences are if the welds were to fail.

Factory rabbit struts MAY be oil filled like standard datsun struts, im not sure. If thats the case head out and find some aftermarket inserts for a MK1 rabbit (I forgot to mention that its mk1 rabbit shocks your after) there is a few cheap brands that make rabbit inserts though so you shouldn't have to spend too much

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted in my build for a while but that is because not a lot of building goes on in western washington in the winter. I did buy all new spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, and condenser for my car though to try and fix an intermitent electrical problem. Turns out a small wire going from the coil to balast resistor was loose. :/ FML I took the liberty of buying a radiator hose heater and installed it today. I tend to drive short distances so this should help in the cold winter mornings. I'll post some pics soon because there are a few things that are new.

• 2 weeks later...

the new radio fits in nice.

IMG_1350.jpg

a ghetto speaker enclosure that I fabed up. It looks shitty now but It should be upholstered by the end of today I'll post pics later.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

I got a 110V radiator heater so no more cold starts :)

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

the heater works great and a steal at $32.00

• 2 weeks later...

I finnaly got the new headers and put them on after much trial and error. The headers didn't quite fit right on. I had to do some griding on the bracket to make it fit so I kept taking them on and off for fittment. But, they are on now and I had my friend take some pictures during the process and after looking at them it seems he decided to stop shooting half way through. He did get some awesome pictures of me grinding though.

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

I put together an enclosure for the two gauges that I got at the pull apart. I didn't have time to install them but i did a mock up with a 12v power supply I have. One is brighter than the other and it's not the bulbs just the way that the light bounces I think one of these is older than the other.

IMG_1665.jpg

That header looks like the same type I have and we had to do some grinding on mine too. Just curious, did you have a problem with fitment toward the front of the head? That is where we had trouble with mine. Dude you got some mad skills....really diggin that console.

That header looks like the same type I have and we had to do some grinding on mine too. Just curious, did you have a problem with fitment toward the front of the head? That is where we had trouble with mine. Dude you got some mad skills....really diggin that console.

Haha thanks I do everything that I have the resources and know how to do. I got the headers from "BillsDatsun.com" I had clearance issues at the back but not the front.

I put the gauge set up in and wired up the illumination and the amp meter gauge. I also while I was down there noticed that my hood pull was hanging on by one thread. Luckily I had pulled one out of a B210 just because it had a car on it. So, I put that in too the cable is slightly longer but it works great and looks cool too.

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

• 1 month later...

See? That wasn't so hard.

Not at all :D Now I found a spring shop to bend me some custom u-bolts for $15.00 for a set of four. I called them today. Basically when I finish fixing up my 13" wheels I'm going to add 2 or 3 inch lowering blocks to the springs. With the 14" wheels I'm running right now I can't go much lower in the front sadly.

do you have them already?

i have a 2" pair that arent quite right for the g00n.

the hole for the leaf pack is too short/narrow.

im getting a proper set made.

I will let you know I have to get my 13" wheels wrapped in some rubber and mounted before I decide how low I want to go. I am planning on slamming my car but I need to know how 13" wheels and lower profile tires will make it sit as the suspension is now. I would love to buy those from you if I knew that was the drop I wanted.

• 2 weeks later...