521 Scroungers Special

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sweet 521!:D I was so hoping you were going to lose those running boards:eek: Dig the big whites. Now it just needs to be lowered and she will be looking proper. How is the motor and tranny??

Very sweet 521!:D I was so hoping you were going to lose those running boards:eek: Dig the big whites. Now it just needs to be lowered and she will be looking proper. How is the motor and tranny??

Motor and trans is on the forum for sale. I'm dropping in something else.:D

Yeah man! great work so far...keep it up! You don't see many of these things around any more and even the most die hard "Hotrod" guys will see value in it and appreciate it when its rollin...even more with the wide whites and attitude!:cool:

I guess I'm too picky about my Trans Am because I have cought myself asking people to get off the quarters and stuff since I've had it out. I've owned my T/A for over 20 years. I don't want something at the track that I have to worry about all the time and this fits the bill. I will be putting in gauges. 10 Gal. fuel cell and a 350 Chevy with 350 turbo. That's a little more weight.

Factory weight @ 2,127 if the book is right. But with what is already off the truck and the stuff I'm taking off the weight will come down.

Spare tire, crank gear and spare cross member. Bottle jack and handle. 2 of the 5 leaf springs per side in the rear. Stock gas tank. Front and back bumpers. Front valence. Fenderwells. all the sensors, relays, horns, and junk on the firewall. Heater, radio and some of the dash. Locks in the doors and hardware. hood and tailgate will be gone. wipers, motor and arms. E brake and all the hardware and lines and stuff under the truck. Even with the extra weight of the 350 I think I can keep the curb weight to 2,280 pounds or below.

A mild built 300 horse 350 in a 2280 pound car would run good and toss the juice at it and if you can get it to hook it should run pretty good. It has a 4.30 gear in the rear from the factory.

Edited by rebstew

One other thing is I want to try to get this truck done on a budget. I don't want to spend more than $999.00

I have almost everything here to put this truck together. All left over junk from old projects and stuff I have collected through the years. So this should not be a money pit.

I started ripping the engine out tonight.

datsun5.jpg

022-5.jpg

030-4.jpg

031-3.jpg

not alot of room in there.

038-3.jpg

I didn't get much done today. I yanked the heater and heater core. Took some of the dash loose. Cut a little bit of the fenderwells to see what I had to work with and removed the cowl cover spot welds for the vent.

Edited by rebstew
I love the RATSUN way to pull the motor using fan belts! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:D Ive pulled out 455 Pontiacs using a couple fan belts. There were two. One for the weight and the other is a saftey catch. lol.. They are new belts and not used too.. I wouldn't try it with a dry old belt. I was at my other garage and didn't feel like driving back to my garage at the house to get a chain.

Bed's off.

010-5.jpg

I took it to the car wash and used oven cleaner to cut the grease off the front end parts. After I seen what it did to the house paint someone sprayed on it I shot the body with oven cleaner. It took alot of the house paint off. All the red will have to come off before any body work. You can't put good paint over it, it will lift.

005-6.jpg

012-4.jpg

My youngest son has laid claim to this one and he wanted his cousin's sticker on the rear window.

011-4.jpg

The dash was just not working for me. I want it light and thought about going aluminum but that just wasn't me. A little more trimming and I'll have the look I want.

003-9.jpg

103-1.jpg

Mid 40's Chevy Dash will work.

102-1.jpg

I hope this turns out ok... The thought of ANOTHER hacked up datsun kills me.

Love the 40's dash look. Is that a sedan or truck dash? From what I could see from the pictures what you are doing to an already hacked and rusted Datsun will be a major improvement. Like Bob3 aid, "Rock On"!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Love the 40's dash look. Is that a sedan or truck dash?:cool:

It's out of a 47 Chevy sedan. It is a hair too short if you can beleave it. I'm thing about adding some metal and doing a type of wrap around to where the dash roll around and ends up coming down the door a bit. Kind of like a 57 Buick does. Hard to explain but easy to show ya with a little time.