Aluminum radaitor install into a 280ZX

Bleach

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was already a thread about this type of radiator. I specifically asked about its cooling power and was led to believe this would easily cool an SR20DET or hopped up V8.

I see radiators smaller than this in the 1990's Maxima. They cool a 3.0 V6 just fine with AC and automatic.

This one is wider than a 280ZX radiator but a little shorter in height.

installed yet? :P

nope. This radiator has a hole in it! I didn't take that into account before I ordered it that I would need a thermostat or plug of some sort.

Also, no radiator fans purchased. The Altimas in the yard were all stripped of their radiators and fans. (maybe they're nice aluminum ones like this)

I'm working on the interior still.

as i stated in the previous thread it keeps my l20b at 1/4 gadge on the freeway the damn thermostat doesnt open should cool the zx just fine sounds like it fits about the same in the zx as in the 610 as well and this rad has a one up on mine its aluminum for some reason the one i got was all brass the beautiful thing about this radiator is it is a cross flow and with the way the inlet and outlet are set up the coolent passes infront of the fan/ air source twice

bleach talk to moparvwfreak he sent me the temp switch i used to plug the hole in mine he can at least point you in the right direction for getting one then you just plug your fan into that and bam temp controled fan without even trying

Is that going to be big enough? I don't think it would work down here in the summer. But your up north so temp is not an issue for you.

im in cali idk about socal but it just hit 110 the other day and it works just fine just be sure you have a good fan on it

Is that the external fill type that uses the reservoir with the plastic cap?

yes, you need a filler cap inline with the upper hose.

I was thinking of running a 160 deg thermostat and using a manual switch for the fan. I'd like to find a small bolt to screw into that hole just to plug it. The problem would be knowing the right diameter and thread pitch.

BTW, for those that didnt' know I was joking on the size of the raditor. It is 22" x 12.25"

The 280ZX radiator is about 19" x 16" core size.

i would use considerably hotter t-stat. the newer rads use a 195 t-stat to make the air to air heat transfer work better, thats why they get away with smaller and thinner rads. id run a 180 stock one for that rad. i tried 195 on mine, it was a bit too hot, ran the other side of the center mark. you need heat in an engine to make it run properly. in the open hole get a painless wiring fan switch, they are about 30 bux cdn. it with a relay will turn your fans on at 190 and off at 170 i think it was.

Ya, Idk they have ALL alum 3 cores for 200 bucks. I personally am just using a nos original until I save for that.

I like the idea of a small one though. After all the reading about the wind tunnel results smaller+ducting seems to blow bigger out of the water hands down no matter what the ambient temps.

Would be sweet to get a rad and ic that were the same dimensions so you could link them and duct through them.

I would need a thermostat or plug of some sort.

You local parts store should have or be able to get you the temperature switch to screw into that hole. They probably also have the plug for it, as it is a common part. The plug costs more than the switch around here.

Guest DatsuNoob

You could also use a brass coupler fitting then put a sender in it for a water temp gauge.:cool: Nice radiator. I liked the external fill feature when I used to drive vw's. Easier to tell when it's getting all the way full, less messy.

The wrecking yard had 1 first generation MR2. The tiny radiator had the fill cap built in.

Still no luck finding an inexpensive inline filler. They're all $30-50 online. I guess that's not bad if I had a $300 radiator but I don't.

I tried the L-series transmission drain plug. Too big. Also forgot that there is oil in my transmission and now its all over the driveway... :(

:D

j/k

hey bleach, i used the temp sensor off of an audi radiator to plug my hole up. I don't have it hooked up though, its just to seal off the hole. I most audi, vw, saabs have the same size temp sensor. I haven't found one that turns on below like 190, so I'm not using it. Pull one off a junker and your good to go?

Infiniti q45's also had an inline filler neck but it doesn't have a tube that comes off of it for the overflow. And its all aluminum. If you have no luck at the junkyard, I have one in the garage I'm not using. You can have it for $10 plus shipping. I also have an extra mr2 one. It's cut because I had to shorten it, but the overflow tube is broke so I just put a bolt in there with some epoxy to seal it up. Worked perfect, just took it off and put on another mr2 pipe with a non broken overflow pipe. You can have that for free if you want it. just pay the shipping.