My new B210

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So after waiting for whats seems like forever, all nissan gaskets are here. Still needs to order a valve cover, thermostat and thermostat housing gasket due to the fact that Nissan no longer has any. Oh well. Aftermarket wouldnt be that bad. On top of everything Nissan let me borrow the B210 bible from their library. Score . . . .so close

headoffnewgasket.jpg

headbackon.jpg

Its wrenchin time. Got all the last gaskets and she should be running this afternoon. Realistically since the head is already on i just gotta throw the manifold back on and thermostat and some belts. Maybe an hour or 2? Its kinda funny cuz i was able to source out a NOS nissan valve cover gasket and the damn thing is made with asbestos. Has a warning not to make any dust or breath whilst near it. . .no bueno

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Its all back together and she runs like a top. Man . . .sure puts working on the L28 in perspective. I had the car up in the air for a total of 5 working hours. That included changing the wheels/tires, cooling system flush, replacinhg the head gasket, manifold gasket and a oil change. Kinda funny to cuz i was just about to put the manifold back together yesterday but i call from a friend who invited me to a party on Buena Vista island to watch the Blue Angels. Nothing beats free booze and a kick ass view of some jets. Oh well. Got it all done this morning

OHV engine - fuel injection= easy as hell to work on

Just gotta smog it, get some bumpers and new tires for the front. Maybe some seats too. Later though. Man o man. Im happy as hell right now.

Total investment so far-

$87.00 DMV reg and lien sale fees

$12.98 Nissan head gasket

$14.63 Nissan Manifold gasket

$6.74 Nissan Valve cover gasket

$2.80 Nissan thermostat

$0.98 AutoZone thermostat gasket

$33.59 Oil, oil filter, radiator fluid and flush from AutoZone

$158.72 For a beastly little 1978 B210

. . . . .Score one for Apollo

b210headcomplete.jpg

And thats that folks. Just wershed it up and put it away until im ready to smog. Def needs smaller tires up front though. 1st time its been outta the driveway in 2 weeks? Oh well. Im beat. Gunna go eat some wing stop, have a beer and watch season 2 of Lost.

Tut-tut.jpg

Tut-tut2.jpg

Tut-tut3.jpg

You've got this thing looking pretty sweet! I've never really been into 210's, but you might have me coming around! I look forward to seeing how you resolve the bumpers.

Tut-tut3.jpg

kisnook is right about the rims, I like. My '76 had these ugly honeycomb design covers, (gag)

For bumpers, what about simple solit chrome ones from a '60s or 70s Ford or Chev. Very plain, not too tall. You might have to saw some out of the middle and weld to narrow them. Many were made for cars that had a valance panel below.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/26_1972FordMaverickGrabber.jpg[/img]"]26_1972FordMaverickGrabber.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/1978-ford-pinto.jpg[/img]"][url="Camaro68-SS.jpg"]1978-ford-pinto.jpg[/url]

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Camaro68-SS.jpg[/img]"]Camaro68-SS.jpg

Maybe upside down or a front on the back, just an idea to get you thinking.

Yea, the front has a little bodywork but nothing major. Just needs and afternoon of attention. Thats next on the list along with a color change.

As for the bumpers, im thinking 1st gen 240Z or 510 bumpers unless i can score an amazing deal on a set of 120y bumpers from Aus. I like the style that wasnt realesed in the states but shipping would most likely cost more than the bumpers themselves.The whole reason i got this 210 was because it was free and im tryin to keep the cost relatively low. Well see how long that lasts . . . .

i'm almost thinking a set of tubular bumpers would be kinda cool and very low cost, but functional. paint em black and really don't worry about anybody bumpin you, or you bumpin them haha. i doubt you'll want to do this but it could be pretty cool. just a single 4" pipe, bent a lil to follow the body, maybe taper the ends, v-cut em, heat up and smash, weld, grind clean... very simple to make them look a lil better.

exhaust tubing? no way.. i meant actual tubing, exhaust tubing would dissapear if you put any force behind it. i'm not saying build a destruction durby car but if you're going to go to the trouble and time of making custom tubular bumpers you don't want them to fold up the first time somebody bumps you in a parking lot. i personally would go without bumpers on this vehicle, or try and get some of the cool aus. ones.

but yea some simple blade bumpers from a 510 would be good.

exhaust tubing? no way.. i meant actual tubing, exhaust tubing would dissapear if you put any force behind it. i'm not saying build a destruction durby car but if you're going to go to the trouble and time of making custom tubular bumpers you don't want them to fold up the first time somebody bumps you in a parking lot. i personally would go without bumpers on this vehicle, or try and get some of the cool aus. ones

True. I would totaly go without bumpers for the looks but i need to stay under the local pork radar. I dont think exhaust tubing would be too bad if properly reinforced. We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted

You've got this thing looking pretty sweet! I've never really been into 210's, but you might have me coming around! I look forward to seeing how you resolve the bumpers.

I agree. This is a cool low dollar project.

Yea, the front has a little bodywork but nothing major. Just needs and afternoon of attention. Thats next on the list along with a color change.

Awww, I LIKE the color. So retro. Look forward to seeing it at Canby next year (hint-hint). :D