My new B210

Hey everyone-

Just found this site through zdriver.com and thought i would start here for getting help with my new B210

untitled3.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

So i got the car for free from Nissan ( i work for'm ) and its in need of some mechanical work. The head needs to be rebuilt and it has an AT. My dilema is this-

Im stuck between yanking the old motor out in favor of a L20B, SR20 or KA series motor. I could go any one of those routes but im not sure what i want. The easiest would be to just take the head off the existing motor and rebuild it, maybe even put a mild cam in there while im at it. Otherwise i'll just go with a fairly stock SR or KA. I dont know. . . what do you guys think?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. I was reading in to the l20B swap. Ive always been a Datsun fan and i currently have a built S130 turbo but im new to the 4 bangers. After looking in to the l20b swap i saw that the xmember is required but other than that everything was pretty vauge. I would preffer something bolt in to keep the cost and time spent relatively low, but i have nothing against tossing an SR or KA in it if one comes up 1st.

All B210 swap info is vague ... except for other A-series engines in which case we have full details including all photos.

In Japan and South Africa, Nissan had factory L-series B210s, but chances are those parts would be difficult to find.

Anyways, I haven't done it but I gather you use A10 crossmember, transmission, driveshaft (may or may not need shortening) and graft a dual-inlet exhaust pipe onto your B210 exhaust system.

Hey everyone-

Just found this site through zdriver.com and thought i would start here for getting help with my new B210

untitled3.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled-1.jpg

So i got the car for free from Nissan ( i work for'm ) and its in need of some mechanical work. The head needs to be rebuilt and it has an AT. My dilema is this-

Im stuck between yanking the old motor out in favor of a L20B, SR20 or KA series motor. I could go any one of those routes but im not sure what i want. The easiest would be to just take the head off the existing motor and rebuild it, maybe even put a mild cam in there while im at it. Otherwise i'll just go with a fairly stock SR or KA. I dont know. . . what do you guys think?

Dude (looks like a '77) I bought a '76 coupe and later got a fast back of the same year. Same color and with the same honeycomb wheel covers as yours too! Consistent 35 mpg and way over 40 on trips, reliable, fun to drive. Man that takes me back. And yes, I always wondered what the L20B 5spd would be like in it. That's about 30 more horses I think.

I would say that if you go L20B switch to 5 spd. If you go higher you might consider AT. I know, I know, autos suck, but that's because they have to lug off the line from idle and it takes time to get up into the power/torque range. With a light little car and 150 and over HP it'll jump pretty good anyway. Just a thought, but if you are into rowing through the gears, go 5 std.

Fix the head and slam it :D If you still like it in a couple months then do the swap. That way you can find out if you like the car and keep an eye out for a cheapish EFI engine. I know of a place up north that was selling non turbo sr's for 400-800 depending on the year and milage. Talk about a good deal!

Ahhhh, the infamous Datsun Racing Brown. :D

Fix the head and slam it :D If you still like it in a couple months then do the swap. That way you can find out if you like the car and keep an eye out for a cheapish EFI engine.

Excellent advice. Too many projects out there not running. If you decide you still want to do the swap, you'll have a running A (14 or 15?) that should sell easily.

The car is currently running. Just smokes like a pipe. I drove the thing home and it was alright on the freeway. Had enough guts to excellerate uphill. Im leaning towards just fixing the head. Not even rebuilding it. See how it goes and then, like you guys & Nissan sugested, swap later if i still like it. For now though i have to do something with the asthetics. This thing is hurt. Fell off the datsun tree and hit every ugly branch on the way down. But its kind of like a Pug. . .so ugly its attractive. 1st things i had in mind were a 1st gen set of 240Z bumpers, a set of 5 star 280ZX wheels and dropping it for sure. At least in the front. I'll post pics as i go along.

Thanks again for the advice. Everyone here so far has been awesome and willing to help out without flaming the newbie.

Last night was productive. Lost about 150lbs of excess bumper weight. Its already looking way better. The whole plastic piece that acts as the grill and headlight shrouds needs to be replaced though. Mine is trashed. Do any other Datsun models have front trim that will work for the 210? Only reason i ask is because i have yet to ever see a b210 at the local yard.

The '76 will fit but it's not as nice. The '77 went to the rectangular signal lights from round.

The Aussie bumpers are great but they have a valance panel below them. Would they look alright on your '78? Well, i'm sure they would look fine, but do you have a valance under yours?

Sick!! Thats exactly the look im going for. Thanks! Any Aussies on the forum that can point me in the right direction?

Head on over to http://www.datsun1200.com. It's chock full of Ozzies and Kiwis willing to help a bloke sort out some Datto goodness. ;)

The Aussie bumpers are great but they have a valance panel below them. Would they look alright on your '78? Well, i'm sure they would look fine, but do you have a valance under yours?

They don't look "perfect", but do look WAAAAY better than the hideous US bumpers.

haha, fair enough. i just know i enjoy some of the z cars ALOT more with no bumpers and the holes filled. up until recently i've always been a fan of losing bumpers of all kinds, any kind of exterior bumper needed to be taken off and the holes filled, but then i was thinking... if i had a big ass bumper on my truck i wouldn't mind moving people out of the way if i had to. hahaha :: evil laughter ::

Just a few pics from this afternoon. Stilling wrenching, but i thought i would ask if anyone knew of the quickest way to get the manifolds off. I seem to have found 4 of the intake manifold nuts. Similar setup to the L28 motor. Couple on top with a few that are shared by the exhaust manifold i assume? Dunno. Somewhere underneith i guess.

DatsunB210-1.jpg

Aside from tryin to get the head off, i just had to do something about the ugliness . . .Not half bad right? What a difference wheels and those nasty bumpers make. :D

Datsunb210.jpg

The interior needs a little help, mainly the seats and carpet. But other than that the headliner, dash and doors are in awesome shape. The car only has 58K on it so its in decent shape for its age

DatsunB210interior.jpg

58K miles is nothing for one of these motors. Shouldn't need head work for 3 times that amount. Does it smoke, low comp?