fontana620's '72 620 build

fontana620

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever you do fontana, when you fill in the bed rails, not that i should have to say anything, but don't fill em in with bondo like this truck here in lewiston was.

lewiston_kingcab_2.jpg

This truck was built in lewiston years ago, but they filled in under the siderails completely with bondo. And then never sanded it down well. Or at least who ever repainted it didn't. Its still around after almost 20 years and is till on the road. They shaved the tailgate hooks, but never got rid of the bumps. So all in all, i can't wait to see your tailgate finished and eventually your side rails.

How cool is that man!..I too havin been around for more years than I care to remember, dont remember seein anyone else do it quite that way......you Rock Guy...lookin forward to the BBQ

I use to rock but only roll now. :D Thanks, see you at the bbq.

Thae handles are sweet like that. I love that it uses the originals, and keeps it very simple and old school.

Trying to keep this one old school. Thanks.

Keep up the good work!

I'm trying, Thanks alot.

it looks like you've done this before,and its flippin sweet.

I've done it in my head a few times :). I think it's going to look very sweet. Thanks.

Guy makes it look like he has done all this before. Really looking forward to this build thread Guy.......Keep up the good work...Will there be chicksada at the bbq ?

Yes, chicksada will be there, come hungry, Thanks for your comment greg.

are you gonna sell the green tailgate?

awesome work so far, thanks for the pics

Thanks, The tailgate is not for sell. The lettering on the tailgate Was done by Bobby Kossey he did pinstriping on alot of the fontana trucks in the '70s, So i'm not going to let it go. Thanks.

DSC04491.jpg

BOBBYKOSSEYDATSUNLETTERING9-29-0820.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

What ever you do fontana, when you fill in the bed rails, not that i should have to say anything, but don't fill em in with bondo like this truck here in lewiston was.

lewiston_kingcab_2.jpg

This truck was built in lewiston years ago, but they filled in under the siderails completely with bondo. And then never sanded it down well. Or at least who ever repainted it didn't. Its still around after almost 20 years and is till on the road. They shaved the tailgate hooks, but never got rid of the bumps. So all in all, i can't wait to see your tailgate finished and eventually your side rails.

I'm doing the metal work in a way so there will be a skim coat of filler only. Thanks, Guy.

I am digging on that latch set up, I may just have to steal the idea....thanks for posting your work...

Thanks Dave :) Please use it. Guy.

I seen this quality work up close and its very sweet. I am sure it will look bad ass once all the body work is done.

Thanks Al, It's alot of work, But it will look very good when it's done. Guy.

that is one thing that is cool about this web site, I get to see alot of different things that I usually wouldnt even think about. Engine swaps, suspention tricks, body mods, interior tricks, etc...ANd alot of people willing to answer questions and give advice....

that is one thing that is cool about this web site, I get to see alot of different things that I usually wouldnt even think about. Engine swaps, suspention tricks, body mods, interior tricks, etc...ANd alot of people willing to answer questions and give advice....

Dave, I fill the same way, This is a great forum for us. Guy.

Dude - That is some NICE work! :D

Thanks Bob, Talking about nice work, I've seen your build, WOW. Guy.

I like the filler panel and the idea of making it chrome, but i would attempt to do it a little different..

Here is my thought. Weld the center filler piece to the tailight bezels so it is completely smooth and then weld studs to the back side so that you dont have any bolt heads showing like the four when the tailgate bumpers were. Yes it would require a little work to get it to all work perfectly, but would bo so smooth when done.

maybe that idea is your plan and you are keeping that part a secret right now.

And excellent work on the rest of it, keeping the hooks? I like that.:D

I also think that we need a few pics of the other old cars in the shop.:D

I like the filler panel and the idea of making it chrome, but i would attempt to do it a little different..

Here is my thought. Weld the center filler piece to the tailight bezels so it is completely smooth and then weld studs to the back side so that you dont have any bolt heads showing like the four when the tailgate bumpers were. Yes it would require a little work to get it to all work perfectly, but would bo so smooth when done.

maybe that idea is your plan and you are keeping that part a secret right now.

And excellent work on the rest of it, keeping the hooks? I like that.:D

I also think that we need a few pics of the other old cars in the shop.:D

Hey yello620, We've talked alot about a one piece rear filler/bezel, Today I made a filler for one and we moched it up and it's being brought to a bumper shop to be finished up. The first one is going on a another RATSUN members truck. He will post it when it's done.

I have alot of plans for this truck, I'm not going to list them first and not be able to live up to them, So to be safe, I will be posting photos of the things i'm working on. Some will be secrets some won't. For the bed hooks on this truck, we'll see. Thanks for your thoughts, Guy.

I sure hope that we get to see a one piece rear panel. I always wanted to make one but have never done it. Might have to now.:D

Really liking your build too, tailgate is looking really good.

And your right, probably a good idea not to discuss some ideas until they are done.;)

really looking good, lovin the fillers u made for the corner pieces, also think that welding light buckets to the fillers would be bad a$$, i have seen it done before years ago, smooth work and very sweet ideas..:D

Good work Guy. You wont need much body filler at all on those corners.

Mark, I hope so. Guy.

2eDeYe;186970'']Keep up the great work, I'll be stealing a few ideas as well :D

]2eDeYe Thanks, Please do. That's one of the reasons why this forum helps us all.:D Guy.