Ratsun Brother in need!!

So yesterday I got the jets I needed to get my single 45 dcoe setup running right. Swapped in the new jets, and tweaked a couple of other small things, SWEET this thing runs pretty good (needs a little more work, but it's good)

WRONG

It had some ticking noises so I decided to adjust the valves as it had been a while. Valves adjusted, all together time for a test drive.

I get down the road a little way and realize it still has a slight knocking noise every once in a while. Around the block I go, and the throttle gets stuck (one of the things that needed a little more work) no big deal, kill ignition, blip throttle, turn it back on. Once it returned to idle, the slight knock had clearly become rather serious, and it was only running on 3 cylinders... Not good.

So I pull over, shut it off, and immediately check for a rod through the side of the block, or out the oil pan. Nothing. Obviously I was still close to home (about 3 blocks) so I limped it home, running it as little as possible. check to see if I dropped a valve, or lash pad, or something in the valvetrain, nothing. ive up for the night.

Today, I pulled all the plugs and found that the #2 plug had signs of detonation, or foreign object in the cylinder (looked like it got kicked around on the highway for a couple of hours) Checked compression, decent everywhere, lower in #2 (wrote #s down, doesn't matter)

Start tear down to pull the motor, I've got bearings, rings and gaskets already, so maybe I'll get lucky. WRONG AGAIN. Just before I was ready to pull it out, I decided since I had to wait to borrow a hoist, might as well pull the head off. Which brings us to the pictures.

Piston #2

P1000996.jpg

P1000992.jpg

Corresponding Chamber

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010003-1.jpg

So at this point, it doesn't make much difference what the bearing looks like, clearly the piston and head are done for.

The problem here is, some things have come up lately causing money to be REALLY tight. I really want to get this thing back on the road. So here is what I ask of you, Ratsun brothers, help me to find a motor. I would love to put another L20 in, but, I'll work with whatever I can get. HELP!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help ya.

But I can tell ya it has happend to me. I put some triples on my 240 with a badass head took thing for a ride. And one of the washers that holds the air stack in got sucked into the head and jacked up the new head and the piston. It sucks. I feel your pain. If you were closer I think my buddy has a new L20. But he prolly wants too much $$$

Kiznook,

I have a few L20Bs in AZ. Couple of W53 heads and a U67. I also have an L20B short block That looks clean and tite. I do not know how much shipping would cost. If you are interested PM me. The only thing I would need money for would be the short block $100 plus shipping on all the parts you need. Other motors would be free plus shipping.

Kiznook,

I have a few L20Bs in AZ. Couple of W53 heads and a U67. I also have an L20B short block That looks clean and tite. I do not know how much shipping would cost. If you are interested PM me. The only thing I would need money for would be the short block $100 plus shipping on all the parts you need. Other motors would be free plus shipping.

Thank You for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I'm concerned that shipping would be a bear, Hopefully I can figure something out locally, but I'll keep you in mind.

I can't help ya.

But I can tell ya it has happend to me.

Yeah it sucks. I know If I would have done the bearings sooner, and been more careful with the carb tuning. Better to not think about how it could have been different though.

Time to start a chain. Ive got a L20 motor. Who from medford wants to come get it from me? Then someone from eugene gets it from medford. and from eugene to Tacoma until it makes it to vancuver. help a brother out

Well, the good part is I'm in Vancouver WA, basically Portland, but that still sounds kinda cornfusing.

Ill be traveling back from norcal at the end of the week, I might be able to grab a head or something smaller since Im riding along with my mom.

Thanks buddy, I don't think it'll come down to that...hopefully.

I got a couple of motors around give me a call

PM sent (sending)

Forgot to ask... did you find anything inside that caused this???

There were several little bits, but as big as the holes are in the piston and head, I assume that's where they came from. I suppose it's possible that something fell down there, but bad detonation and dumb luck seems likely the case.

Kiz, I have a A87 open chamber that you could use, borrow, buy, pay later?

I'll let you know If I need it. Thanks Jason!

ive got an extra L20 head that came with my truck i just bought.. and an extra block but missing alot..

Does the block have crank and pistons?

UPDATE!

So here's what happened, I just figured it out in a sudden moment of clarity, I think all the support finally calmed me down enough to realize what went down.

When I was putting everything back together I dropped the washer for the air filter. I couldn't find it on the ground, figured it landed on the crossmember or something so I grabbed a new one. SOMEHOW, it must have bounced down the barrell of the carb, and when the throttle stuck open it must have sucked down into the cylinder and reaked havoc.

IM STUPID!!

if it makes you feel any better...

a while back i noticed my air filter was loose on my 32/36, made a mental note. then smoked that note.

bout a month later im on the freeway and a washer got sucked into #3, wasnt quite as bad as yours tho. i now keep the washer as a good luck charm.

which doesnt seem to be working as some asshole broke a window out today while i was at work.

heres my washer, wheres yours :fu:

DSCN0434.jpg

I have a L20 that I took out of my truck that ran fine. I just redid the other engine because it was a fresh .030 over bore. I took off two rod caps and two main caps for inspection. They were all down to the babit but still very good. Would be a great place to start. I will be coming to Oregon City Friday if the other two yaahoo's that want parts would call be back.

Is $50 reasonable?

WOW that sucks I wish I were closer I know of a few motors around here that are for sale cheap, as far as the head goes I'm not sure if it was a stock head but you can save it TRUST me I have seen alot worse and they were repaired and used again... just a thought

Clayton

Thanks for all the offers and support guys, I really appreciate it. At this point, I'm hoping that since the noise must have been the washer bits bouncing around and not detonation, with any luck all the bearings are still okay (I'll check and replace them of course) and I can find a new piston. Since it's a z20s I might have a little bit of trouble here, but I see them regularly in the yards, and I've hear theres one now.

As for the head, I might save this one, or source another. Might go with the one yellow620 has if I can't find another closed chamber.

I'll try to get a picture of the washer bits today if I have time. I feel really stupid for letting this happen, and even worse for not figuring it out right away. I guess it was the stress and HEAT getting to me.

If anyone in the portland area has something, I will consider it, but I haven't really decided if I can/should fix this now, or throw something else in to get me by (Blue Lake) I guess I'll know for sure when I get a look at the bottom end.

Kiz those pistons look like Z20E to me.

Your piston:

P1000992.jpg

My Z20E piston:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons4-1.jpg[/img]"]motorZ20EandZ20S720pistons4-1.jpg

Only way to be sure is to remove, (gotta do that anyway) and measure the pin height. The Z20E was only used in the 200sx. I've taken two apart and both had the (152.5mm/6") long rods, and the 31.75mm piston pin height.

I have an L 16,came off the donor truck,was running until March of this year, truck was total,but motor is in good condition,let me find out about shipping........................:cool:

I have an L 16,came off the donor truck,was running until March of this year, truck was total,but motor is in good condition,let me find out about shipping........................:cool:

Like I said, I don't mind driving an engine up there, I should have room in my 240z. It'd have to make it up to the Bay Area first though.

I've generally found that Greyhound is the least expensive for large items.