L320 on the freeway

Well I was sadly just cracking myself up thinking about the time I tried to take my L320 on the freeway. I am certain that many of you have seen the movie "The Right Stuff "? Well going on the freeway in the L320 was kind of like when the scene were Chuck Yeager breaks the speed of sound. The whole dam thing was shaken and the LA freeway drivers were just going to mow me down because I was doing like 50 maybe( no speedo ).:eek:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine has stock running gear and I can run around 55, but it doesn't like it too much. The motor is just noisy, but the rest of the ride is just fine. Having discs takes a lot of the worry out of being on the freeway. I'll put better gears in the rear as soon as I get a chance. About that time, the NL will get pulled from road duty for the motor swap...I hope :)

Just remember that you have the 320 "with high speed improvements". It was tested for use on American highways. The JDM 320 won't survive high speed, but yours will.

Well, 50 was scary as hell, I got off quick and don't plan to try it again until I change the drive train or at least the gears. I don't know that mine would have survived much more of that, it is very tired.

Does anyone know if the shackle bushings on the rear leaf springs are available anywhere or match any other year?

mine is the same way. i rarely go over 55. last time i hit the highway was during a poker run at a car show. luckily i found a group of old pickups that i could keep up with. its not so embarassing when people go flying by a group doing 20 under. the rotary im putting in my other one should handle the rpms perfect.

I used to drive a '61 320 on I-5 going back and forth to the local community college when I was younger. It was my dad's, and it had big tires on the back.

They must have been 16s. not sure of other dimensions, but they were bias plys with thick thread. They really shook until they got warmed up. With the larger diameter, it did pretty well on the freeway for a 1200. The speedometer was pretty much meaningless though.

Real Datsun guys aren't afraid. Put your foot down and let the RPMs howl. I ran 5000 RPM for 13 hours straight. With temp gauge not working. Speedometer not working. No tachometer. 100 degree weather. Truck bouncing on the pavement joints. Suspension banging crash on every pothole. It's a Datsun for pete's sake!

Well I gotta admit I have a highway-friendy 4.11 rear differential ratio.

:lol::lol: I had a 521 that i drove on the freeway for 45 miles after only owning it a few days. This was my test.

I did like 45mph the whole way, wheel bearings buzzing, burnt brake light bulbs, no turn sigs, no horn, jacked steering,leaking oil, weak brakes....But i lived .

That day i went to visit my gf at disneyland and we stuffed her 11yo daughter ,8yo son, her and me. dam that 521 was fun:lol:

x2 with ggzilla,I drove mine to San Diego meets,from Hemet wich is about 1 hr.45 min. in my L320 driving 55-58 miles an hour,just let that baby go..............:D

Real Datsun guys aren't afraid. Put your foot down and let the RPMs howl. I ran 5000 RPM for 13 hours straight. With temp gauge not working. Speedometer not working. No tachometer. 100 degree weather. Truck bouncing on the pavement joints. Suspension banging crash on every pothole. It's a Datsun for pete's sake!

Well I gotta admit I have a highway-friendy 4.11 rear differential ratio.

73-x2 with ggzilla,I drove mine to San Diego meets,from Hemet wich is about 1 hr.45 min. in my L320 driving 55-58 miles an hour,just let that baby go..............

I drove my L320 from Slymar to Pomona for the swap meet once, but I drove down foothill all the way. It was a very cool drive. But the real point of this reply is to state...........

Well you are both simply insane!;)

Edited by zenndog
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG00381.jpg

IMG00380.jpg

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! was in LA for a week, L320 fired right up after 2 month without being started. Got tired of driving on the streets so I just did it. Probably took a toll, seemed to be leaking a little extra oil. Honestly I need to check the compression on this motor but I am afraid to, it may realise that it shouldn't run anymore if someone tells it.

• 3 months later...