510 power steering??

jnec510

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've put power steering in 510's twice now. I stole Nelson's idea :D He showed me how he used the s12 rack on his 510 and said some day he would like to hook up the power steering. So that's what I did, then we did it to Dillon's car as well. It's crazy how much different it makes a 510 feel.

I was mucking round with rack and pinion ideas into a b110. I don't know how much old toyota stuff you guys get over there but I was playing round with an entire kp60 starlet cross member and its 600mm between bottom arm mounting points which is 80mm wider than b110, you see where i'm heading with this........

Anyway I suspect that ae85/86/ke70 maybe very close width wise to 1600, its not power steering but with a little bit of work the crossmember could be used complete with rack and pinion in a 1600, 4ages are also a front bowl too so it would already be setup for sr/ca/ka swaps

Just an idea, no idea if theres any merit in it.

thanks i will look into that too. i have cut up 4 240sx s in the last couple of months an i have a complete s13 setup lookin at that to. just tryin to find the root with the least amount of fab work cause i aint gettin paid:(:mad: so... keep em comin please

Yeah quite a few guys have ran that toyota rack setup, it's still a bit wider pivot to pivot but it works from what I hear. The s13 rack/crossmember is wider than the s12 which is wider than the stock 510 stuff. It's been a few years since I did all my measuring at pull A Part but they way I remember it every era the cars grow approximately 3" in width.... If your not getting paid I wouldn't even bother..... Dude it takes so many hours to make that shit fit!!!!

• Like 2

well it for a real close buddie. was an s12 alot wider than a 510. i was thinking about shorting the end links. an if an s12 is about 3 inces narrowwer than s13 its still might work. as long as i completely re invent te wheel:( i am on te lookout for an s12 rack tho

A lot of the Australian places sell new crossmembers with mounts for rack and pinions. http://www.maddat.com and http://www.datsport.com

I was toying around with the idea using an early 720 power steering box. Not sure if that's the greatest idea though. I know the stock manual box flexes the frame a bit on severe steering duty, a power box might need a bit of reinforcement.

Rack and pinion would be good though.

Most zx use power r&p but early ones did use a box. I found one and used it for p/s on my 620.

Late '70 p/s box:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

I had an S12 p/s r&p that I donated to a guy on the Realm to tinker with:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/85200sxturbosteering008.jpg[/img]"]85200sxturbosteering008.jpg

• 6 months later...

I've put power steering in 510's twice now. I stole Nelson's idea :D He showed me how he used the s12 rack on his 510 and said some day he would like to hook up the power steering. So that's what I did, then we did it to Dillon's car as well. It's crazy how much different it makes a 510 feel.

I was going to say, Nelson's 510 has it. Not sure of the specifics tho. But looks like it'll be figured out soon.

Yeah quite a few guys have ran that toyota rack setup, it's still a bit wider pivot to pivot but it works from what I hear. The s13 rack/crossmember is wider than the s12 which is wider than the stock 510 stuff. It's been a few years since I did all my measuring at pull A Part but they way I remember it every era the cars grow approximately 3" in width.... If your not getting paid I wouldn't even bother..... Dude it takes so many hours to make that shit fit!!!!

thats the reason I didn't drop the 350 chevy v8 I had sitting in the garage in my 510 wagon...I would have needed to either get rid of the steering box and use a rack, or move the firewall back further and build custom headers for it...either way, the fab time would have been far more than I wanted to invest in the car.