Whats a Datsun??

So, I took my 10 year old step son to La Grande to see his dad for the weekend. Its 45 mile trip each way. We cruised up there in the 521. He loves riding in it. I dropped him off and on the way home stopped to get somethin to drink at a local C-store. When I went to pay the guy behind the counter was really diggin my truck. I had it all waxed and washed, lookin sharp.

"What kinda truck is that man? A Chevy or a Ford? How old?"

I said, "Its a '71 Datsun. Mostly stock"

"A dodge, right on. those were great trucks"

"Not a Dodge, A DATSUN, D-A-T-S-U-N." I don't know if he was deaf or what.

"Whats a Datsun?" The doofus replied.

I said, "Its what Nissan was way back in the day, only better."

"I never heard of that man. Well whatever, I like them chevy trucks. Yours looks really good though. Hmm, Datsun..."

As I was leavin I told him that it was an insult to me to call my truck a chevy or Ford, thats cold!

The dude had no idea what he was lookin at! Who hasn't heard of a Datsun?

Then on the way home on the freeway I got a thumbs up from a guy in a early 90's hardbody 4x4, looked pretty good. At least he knew what he was lookin at.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know, I didn't want to ask.... but what is a Datsun?

no really guys, what is it?

Nissans way of saying if we screw up in america we wont screw our name up :lol:

That's on old wives tale.

Nissan sold most of their cars in Japan badged as Datsun.

th_21d.jpg

The Datsun name is older than the Nissan name.

First Datsun: 1931

Nissan formed: 1934

First Nissan-badged car: 1937. Nissan name was only used on the larger, luxury cars until 1980 in Japan when they began dropping the Datsun brand.

So that's what a Datsun is: the original Nissan car brand -- not the secondary "save our name" brand.

:lol::lol:

I don't think he had a man card to begin with!!

poor guy no man card lol:lol::lol::lol::lol: did he have this look on his face :blink: or this one :confused: either way that is crazy

Edited by slam_dat_sun
changed a word

i remeber when a friend of mine came over and saw the 521 in the back he asked me wtf i was doing with a chevy luv...needless to say he has never called my datsun a chevy again. It cost him a lot of beer that night :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I went into a chief auto parts ( opps, dated myself) and had a guy looking up points for my SD220 distributor, the part was under international in the book but referenced to a GM part# so the guy informed mr my truck was in fact a chevy. Uh.......thanks genius. Forget about Studebaker, I always ask for a part for a 1960 Studebaker lark and they are like....is that a ford or a chevy.

News Flash- Car guy goes berserk, drives his Studebaker through window of auto parts store killing 3, injuring 5 others. Wait.... did you say Studebaker......who made those? Ford or Chevy?:mellow::confused::fu:

On the '80 720 I parted out, I cut out the Datsun from the tailgate before delivering it to the scrapper. When I'm finished with the '93 hardbody I just picked up, there will be no Nissan badging on it. "Datsun" is going to be grafted into the tailgate, and I'll probably find an approriate Datsun emblem for the front as well. :D

And then I can say I have a '93 Datsun hardbody. Shit, my cashier didn't know who Jerry Garcia was for pete's sake. "Is he a baseball player?" Oh man....

"6-28-09: Looking for renter in my house in Spokane, WA. $300 + half utilities. Close to SFCC/SCC.

Cannot accept Datsun parts in lieu of rent, sadly."

I don't know if it is just because it is close to 3 am but that cracked me up!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: