da man

A few months ago I did a small stupid burnout in my 620 while leaving work.I immediately got pulled over and got slapped with neglegent driving.There was a bike cop hiding radaring people.I am cool now if I keep my record clean.

Today I pulled my truck onto our open lot and ended up doing a serious wet tire burnout on my way into the shop.I started cleaning out my truck when I saw a man in blue walking towards the shop bay.Damnit!!

Here is what I got."What was that all about?!""I suppose you thought that you could do what you want on private property?The law is the same on the street or here.I can haul you into jail and impound your truck for reckless driving.Blah fuckingBlah!!!"

He stated that my truck was very defineable and that so much as a bad light and he will bring down the hammer.In town or not.On duty or off.

BS

My truck does kinda give off that "punk kid" vibe i guess.Maybe its the big fat SLAYER sticker.Back to the 620 daily driver and no burnouts.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that private property does prevent the cop from having power. maybe there's other guidelines that determine what is actually private property or not. i know down in florida there was a big deal with cops trying to ticket people in parking garages and nothing held up because they said that the parking garage was private property and the owner of the property would have to decide whether or not to press charges. like i said, maybe i'm wrong, but that's the way i understood it.

I believe your close but not entirely right. If a peace officer whitnesses a crime i.e. your burnout he has "probable cause" to investigate and cite regardless of the private property status. Its the same as when some of you have been driving down the road with the chili peppers rattling around on your cassett player puffin the cheeba and you dont have enough time to air out the car when the gumball machine goes off behind you. Again he has "probable cause" to suspect your high and has to investigate and you cant say no. Next time give him the "my accelerator stuck" answer.

... maybe i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that private property does prevent the cop from having power. maybe there's other guidelines that determine what is actually private property or not.

I'd bet there are differences state-to-state too. I know here in Texas private property is free game. They can't do anything as far as traffic citations go. Only if they see a real crime being committed can they do anything.

I would bet he was just trying to scare you and even he knew there was nothing he could do. Anyone with that kind of attitude, if he could do it, he would do it.

Was it the same cop? If it is, I dont think it's necessarily just that your truck is identifyable, but the fact that it's identifyable as YOUR truck... If its the same guy, he must not like you or something?

I remember back in my younger days, I would get pulled over in my Chevelle all the time, even when I had done absolutely nothing wrong. This one cop in my town like hated me or something, he was always harrassing me. It got to the point that I just bought another car, and stopped driving the Chevelle daily, and I never got pulled over by him again.

I would lay off the burnouts...

There was a news article last week about a guy who was constantly harrassed by the same cop, to the point that the guy put a camera in his car to record the confrontations. Got the cop fired. The cop was very out of line though, threataning him that he'd make up charges as he saw fit.

That being said, you can be cited for reckless driving on private property. Think about it- cop sees someone doing burnouts in the Safeway parking lot, you better believe he's gonna act. Plus burnouts tend to violate noise ordinances. Also, just because it's private property doesn't mean you have free reign- especially if it's not YOUR private property.

We do burnouts outside the shop all the time.And most of the time there's a cop accross the street ticketing trucks over 5000lbs and ppl than turn right on red.

We test drive with a nice burnout every vehicle we build/fix.

I ride my little chopper with no helmet in the parking lot and the cop has seen me, but never said anything.

Once, we drove the donk down the street, he got right behind us, and followed us all the way to the shop, then we parked and the cop said "Damn, what size of rims are those?"

I wouldn't say he's a nice cop, he pulls at least a car every 5 minutes his there, but he hasn't said anything to us.

Its the same as when some of you have been driving down the road with the chili peppers rattling around on your cassett player puffin the cheeba and you dont have enough time to air out the car when the gumball machine goes off behind you. Again he has "probable cause" to suspect your high and has to investigate and you cant say no. Next time give him the "my accelerator stuck" answer.

HAHAHAHAHA puffin the cheeb in the datsun?? Not me!.. ok maybe a little.. and speakin of burn outs i did some fucking tight ass ones earlier cause it was all wet some i didnt mean to do an were un avoidable.. but the ones that involved left foot braking were definately intentional.. oo BTW i got Both wheels to spin.. and pleanty of smoke! Fun times ;)

dont be using the throttle stuck one

use the 'my foot slipped" or "i thought it was the brake"... adjust to volume of smoke :D

it works for the elderly crashing through pedestrians and/or walls :rolleyes:

mine were all "exhibition of speed" not reckless...

i got followed (w/o plates but temp label) into the parking lot...showed papers, 2nd cop made 'nice car' comment and i was on my way (that was new to me :eek: )

what was this cop hiding behind a bush or what? you got to hate when the favortism kicks in and they start looking for you. dont lay off the burnouts, life is short and you only live once. pick a different spot or go around the block first and make double sure the cop or any kids are around who might jump out in the street. it's so wet in washington it's kinda hard not to do burnouts.:D

When I first got my truck (my first manual trans) I got pulled over in a high school parking lot, trying to do a cool turn-around cuz the sprinklers were on.

The cop came to the window and said "Not very good at popping the clutch eh?" Needless to say I felt really dumb, he checked my license and told me to have a nice night. I think he knew that he had belittled me enough

I'm a big fan of "foot slipped" or "clutch is going out" or the one I used "just learning how to drive stick"

so ... did you get pulled over?

no, the cop came up behind me and saw I had no rear plate too so I can't have a front plate if I have no plates at all. I have the dealership temporary plate taped in the back window. That's legal. So the cop drove around me and went speeding off at 80mph

I think I just pissed him off because he was standing 100 feet away.He was parked at the car dealer next door where I couldnt see him.And it was a tad wet so the ol L16 with cam,weber,edelbrock mani and 2" pipe screamed up towards the 7-8000 rpm area.

I think to be a hippie you have to love everyone.Definitely not me,while I do own a vw beetle.....hmmmmm