I need your help!!!!!!!

seats004.jpg

These are the wheels that I'm running on my goon. 17X7 But I don't really like the look very much. So here is where you guys come in. I want to run steelies so I picked some up at yard 15X6.5.

steelies007.jpg

As you can see they look like shit. But you see the little tabs. Thats the part I like.

steelies005.jpg

So I can't find a hub cap that fits. So I find some 10" dia aluminum I had layin here and put it in my lathe.

steelies009.jpg

And I turned it into some oneoff moon caps.

steelies011.jpg

So this is what the end result looks like.

steelies010.jpg

This is what it will look like on the car. But I'll have the hub cap polished so it will be shiney like the trim ring.

So what do ya think old school or Keep the 17's ?

Edited by datrod
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They look like old Dodge wheels. I like it though!

Would It be cheaper to find the Dodge center caps?

project-ready-this-police-package-equipped-74-dodge-coronet.jpg

They look cool, but I don't know about the price in making custom center caps. I know you can make them. But I cant... I got to think outside the box.

Mark that's another thing I can't make a call on what color to paint them. I don't want them red I'm looking for something that will offset the red on the car.

motavated:

The wheels came off a nissan pulsar. And as far as making the caps it's what I do. The aluminum was left over stock from one of my customers. So no out of pocket money. I searched all over but no one had one of the size I needed. So I just made my own cause I can. But your right if you had to pay someone to do that it would cost a bunch. I think I have at least 15 Hrs in them.

Edited by datrod

....cause you can....!!! Classic!! :)

I'd like a see a pic pulled back a bit from the car. I really like the caps and the rims!

As for color...maybe a tan or beige rather than white. Maybe semi-flat black? The car is so shiny, maybe a flat color would do the trick.

Any more pics of the process on the caps? I'm guessing you did the backside first??

....cause you can....!!! Classic!! :)

I'd like a see a pic pulled back a bit from the car. I really like the caps and the rims!

As for color...maybe a tan or beige rather than white. Maybe semi-flat black? The car is so shiny, maybe a flat color would do the trick.

Any more pics of the process on the caps? I'm guessing you did the backside first??

Figured you would like that comment Mike. :lol:

I painted them with almond spray can paint. I think I'll get some tires and put them on and see what they look like. I only bought one used tire just to make sure I liked them.

centercaps.jpg

Here is a pic of the back side. I didn't have my camera at work when I did the first operation.

Edited by datrod

Thanks for the backside pic of the caps!!! About what I envisioned. Holy cow!! you musht have about 20lbs of chips left over from them!!! Housing prices drop down there yet??? I'd rather come towards the sun than have you move up here! :)

On second look, the rim is a bit off white and semi flat. I had thought about silver, but didn't mention it.......but now that Mark has said it, I think that just might work well. Kind of make the rims a two tone with the shiny against the silver. I think the reason I'm leaning more toward flat colors is that there may be too much bling or shiny spots from reflections if the rims are shiny too. IMO the car need a bit of contrast.......but it will be easier to say with pics of more than just the wheel well :)

BUT....the white does fit the Radio Flyer theme :) Maybe make some wooden rails to put inside the back windows like the side rails on the later model Radio Flyers :)

Datrod.....I was digging through your past threads...trying to find shots of the entire wgn. The setup you had on the blue wgn......very nice....I like those beauty rings! I also saw mention that you had red steelies on this red wgn before these rims?? Any pics of them??

Sir Datrod -

I'd leave them the color as is. It is morphing more and more into the radio flyer wagoooon. I think it looks awesome! I still need to see your radio flyer with a car sized black pull handle at the front for car show displays.... Like the original Radio Flyer had LOL

Datrod.....I was digging through your past threads...trying to find shots of the entire wgn. The setup you had on the blue wgn......very nice....I like those beauty rings! I also saw mention that you had red steelies on this red wgn before these rims?? Any pics of them??

Mike, I think at one point I was going to run red steelies but never did it.

The trim rings I had on the blue one were really nice. I might pick up another set of them. Not sure yet. I like the ones that go over the lip of the rim.

Stick with the steelies for sure. Where'd you find the beauty/trim rings?

The trim ring were on the wheels when I picked them up from the yard. But only one of them were clean enough to keep.

http://www.hubcapmike.com

He carries a bunch of different trim rings.

Sir Datrod -

I'd leave them the color as is. It is morphing more and more into the radio flyer wagoooon. I think it looks awesome! I still need to see your radio flyer with a car sized black pull handle at the front for car show displays.... Like the original Radio Flyer had LOL

I'm workin on it Lawerence.

And I like Mikes idea of wood rails inside of the windows. :cool:

So it looks like the steelies rule so far. Guess I have a set of 17" wheels and tires for sale.

Edited by datrod

After I said that.....I noticed you had a roof rack........If you could do one in wood....similar size shape....I wouldn't put the rack type rails up there, but a wood accent might work with the roof rack.................if that made any sense :)

......but some original Radio Flyer racks inside the rear windows?? ...hhmm...I just googled them...a bit big. I was thinking they were two slats, with two different lengths....kinda stepped......top one shorter than the bottom one. You could cnc the Radio Flyer logo into the wood before you stain it. Even a light stain will show up dark in the lettering.

Edited by mklotz70

I was gonna say the same thing bonvo said.

As in the pic he put up and the radio flyer wagon in my garage....had to look.

Paint the steelies white...but I'd stick with the center caps as they are.

Theres my 2 cents worth

BTW dude, your rides awesome