Mesh-71

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started cleaning this '70 out and evaluating after buying it Sunday in Idaho. Not sure what to do with it, grab some needed parts and sheetmetal, or pass the whole car along to someone who likes a challenge. Looks to have been 553 blue, originally. It's rusty, dinged up, and has the cool country bullet-holes option, and even has one unbroken euro taillight. Score!

P1050663.JPG

Edited by ByStickel
  • Like 2
On 3/26/2020 at 4:35 PM, BrandonS said:

Thanks, after seeing yours I'm wondering if I maybe should go with the Nickel Copper.  I got stainless because it's polished, but I'm digging the tinted hue of the nickel copper.  I ordered a pedal setup to go with the brakes and I'm getting worried the world's going to shut down before Summit sends them to me.

Sorry for such a late reply. I hope you got your stuff from Summit, as it seems that not much shipping was too interrupted during this mess. I ordered a FAST EFI 2.0 from Jegs and got it in pretty good time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to find where I moved these to.

IMG_20200302_122231.jpg

I need to clean and paint them for the shortened struts to be put on the goon.

Went downstairs and looked again and Wala.

IMG-20200704-092757.jpg

Edited by edekalil

Off for alignment,  tomorrow balancing.  Has been pulling in the lanes, and the wheel just feels loose..... And over 60 a bad vibration, which im figuring the wheels just need balanced.   Also put the new led headlights in, still need to do a harness, so for now the highs are wired to my fogs.  

Image may contain: carImage may contain: car and outdoorImage may contain: car and outdoor

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not enough lately but cranked the two 2 doors and may get time to pull the head on the Goon. But I did get a big tool box finally to get my tools clean and organized so to make things easier or not to go buy the same size socket several times. Got 15% off the price of the box cause of a small dent that didn't heart the function of the draws plus another 10% my friend got due to his vet status. I couldn't pass it up.

IMG-20200922-124539-5.jpg

Have the Goon some love today since the masionary man held off. I had gotten a lot of stuff moved away from the Goon and some back walls of the building. So I decided to pull the head to figure the no compression on the third cylinder and Wala.

IMG-20200924-143311-5.jpg

A burnt valve.

Dropped off the L16 head with the burnt valve to be fixed and gone through new valve stem seals  because it has been sitting for 20 + years. And left a cam for the L20b I had sitting in a box 20+ years that had some rust on the jurnol showing where it touched the box, the fella says he could polish it up and that it would not be a problem. Now to get a head gasket set. 

Edited by edekalil
2 hours ago, rosso said:

Wow Jesse, that's super sano - you get my vote for cleanest engine bay.

What exhaust manifold/header are you going to use?

Thanks man, I am trying to do my best. 

The headers are from Experimental Engineering, who also made most of the conversion parts. He used to run VG30.com, but that site is long gone. I think you can still reach him via Facebook or through Carter Boad her on Ratsun 

Thanks, I have a standing order in to Dave Carroll (Exp. Eng.) for a set of headers and I am not sure when he might get to making another run of them. I am looking at backup plans since I am getting close to starting the engine. I see Dave about every other month - he is about 2 hours from me. Basically I am using his whole conversion kit same as you less the headers (motor mounts, oil pan, carb manifold, TC rod kit, Idler arm kit, and trans cross member).

Cheers,

M