What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the piece from the welder today for getting the blue car mounted on the rotisserie.

IMG-20190606-155731.jpg

Put it on the car.

IMG-20190606-162904.jpg

Well I messed up the angle of the angle iron, took it off and brought it back to my welder friend to correct a couple of things. Maybe I'll get it back tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This weekend after several months of severe mojo loss, I finally got my rear end in gear and fitted my R180 rear end. It quickly became apparent that I will need to re-work the exhaust for clearance. I still need to lock wire the bolts that secure the shafts to the hubs/ stub axles, which I have never done before, so I am looking at Youtube tutorails ( how did we manage before YouTube? ) If anyone else is going to do this conversion; the R180 is obviously slightly bigger in size. The case at the bottom toward the front of the car is deeper and extends further forward than the stock R160 which means that it will not push far enough through the cross member to allow the moustache bar to be fitted at the back. After thinking about this for a while, I removed the rear cover off the diff, fitted the moustache bar to the cover studs and then upwards onto the vertical studs ( being careful not to damage the gasket ). One other thing, when removing the original nuts and bolts securing the axle shafts to the stub axles and hubs ( which you need to re-use ) I found there is very little clearance for a ring spanner. I bought another wrench and ground the depth and circumference of the end until it fitted the nuts. Next job is to fit a hydraulic parking brake....40915d3ebaa05cf12.jpg40915d3ebaa14fedf.jpg40915d3ebaa0d8e92.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TiMopar said:

This weekend after several months of severe mojo loss, I finally got my rear end in gear and fitted my R180 rear end. It quickly became apparent that I will need to re-work the exhaust for clearance. I still need to lock wire the bolts that secure the shafts to the hubs/ stub axles, which I have never done before, so I am looking at Youtube tutorails ( how did we manage before YouTube? ) If anyone else is going to do this conversion; the R180 is obviously slightly bigger in size. The case at the bottom toward the front of the car is deeper and extends further forward than the stock R160 which means that it will not push far enough through the cross member to allow the moustache bar to be fitted at the back. After thinking about this for a while, I removed the rear cover off the diff, fitted the moustache bar to the cover studs and then upwards onto the vertical studs ( being careful not to damage the gasket ). One other thing, when removing the original nuts and bolts securing the axle shafts to the stub axles and hubs ( which you need to re-use ) I found there is very little clearance for a ring spanner. I bought another wrench and ground the depth and circumference of the end until it fitted the nuts. Next job is to fit a hydraulic parking brake....40915d3ebaa05cf12.jpg40915d3ebaa14fedf.jpg40915d3ebaa0d8e92.jpg

I like it!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ByStickel said:

Well, I pulled it from the barn, hauled it to Montana, washed it off, vacuumed out the mouse turds, drained the gas, and replaced the fuel filter. Unfortunately, I forgot the battery back in NJ. Figures. Needs some new front rubber, too.

48531213557_dedf4ef33b_k.jpg

Nice Goon 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LS_Wagon said:

Looking good!!!

Thanks I've had this one the longest, she was my first. I got her in 1979 about and she was still last like new ac worked and all. But now she needs some attention ( like redoing all the front end steering components and new inserts for the struts. But I drive her when I can and it's not raining.

• Like 1

Cranked up the 72

IMG-20190915-095654.jpg

And the 70

IMG-20190915-095657.jpg

IMG-20190915-095712.jpg

Gonna drive both today!

As well looking at cleaning up fuseboxes so they have less issues with resistance things getting hot causing spots melting on the fusebox, I'm sure you all have delt with this on an old 510 that has been sitting. 

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Got the old pices  of the fuse box off the 72 Goon, just left the cut off screws just to keep a fuse box located so it won't move any. I'll Velcro it down somehow. Also cleaned up the terminal's on the old broke up box. I'll get some pics up later.

The test subject the old box I broke to get out after cleaning by submerging it in apple cider vinegar overnight then hitting it with a tooth brush. I believe it was about as bad as the replacement.

IMG-20190916-121225.jpg

The replacement before it gets cleaned.

IMG-20190916-121206-2.jpg

Both next to each other.

IMG-20190916-121305-2.jpg

The broke screws. It is ugly in there!

IMG-20190916-124556.jpg

Edited by edekalil

Got the box out and brushed down with a tooth brush. I put in some water with backing soda to neutralise any acid from the apple cider. Then rinsed very well under water. Now as it looks as it dries.

IMG-20190917-175106.jpg

IMG-20190917-175123.jpg

Hope all goes well, it's gotta be better than before.

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Took a q tip and applied some dielectric grease in the connections and got mostly new fuses also cleaned up the connections on the car side and added some dielectric grease and Wala everything is working perfectly fine except the horn is bad I have to find a working one here in the garage. So this will be a must for the others I have which will probably fix the 70 510 headlight issues and probably prevent any from popping up on the other cars.

Edited by edekalil