What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

Another few hours of wrenching, got the crossmember and steering pulled.

U7AXgZq.jpg

It wouldn't be work without a hassle though. Splitting the steering shaft from the steering box was impossible, so I had to pull the drivers side motor mount and the front sway bar to get enough room to pull it as an assembly.

Tomorrow I'll start putting the jbcoachworks crossmember and steering into the car. Only 10 days to get the car back together for the Golden Week Kyusha show.

• Like 2
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got the JBC cross member, motor mounts and rack installed yesterday. Tonight I'll get the LCAs, TC rods and sway bar back in and tomorrow I'll see if I can get the steering rod back in. I'm a little worried about how hard it'll be to modify the steering rod armature. Not much room to get in there with a dremel between the engine, turbo, master cylinders etc.

Edited by drawks

Well shit, it looks like at least some of the hardware in this JBC R&P kit is not correct... This is super aggravating, not sure how I'm gonna get replacement hardware and get everything installed in time for the car show next weekend. 😞

Included control arm bolts are ~14mm as indicated in the installation manual the control arm heim joint reducers are only 12mm however. The un-reduced heim joints are 16mm.

FBG0Z0G.jpg

LxNzVFe.jpg

Edited by drawks
  • Like 1

Woot! Found a local race shop, Norman Racing Group, and Dennis over there was awesome and tossed the reducer in the lathe and got them to the correct ID.

hD9gI8P.jpg

Pretty dirty under here but, I got the, rack, LCAs, ball joints, and tie rod ends all installed.

cvwZ4eL.jpg

Unfortunately it looks like the stock TC rods really don't want to fit with this new geometry. I'm gonna see if I can get technotoy to overnight me a pair of adjustable ones on Monday. I'm feeling a lot better about my chances to get everything together in the for the show!

• Like 2
On 4/24/2019 at 10:37 PM, drawks said:

Another few hours of wrenching, got the crossmember and steering pulled.

U7AXgZq.jpg

It wouldn't be work without a hassle though. Splitting the steering shaft from the steering box was impossible, so I had to pull the drivers side motor mount and the front sway bar to get enough room to pull it as an assembly.

Tomorrow I'll start putting the jbcoachworks crossmember and steering into the car. Only 10 days to get the car back together for the Golden Week Kyusha show.

Seriously! Removing the steering shaft from the box is something I’ve tried to do for hours with no luck. I ended up just getting the motor mounts for my SR swap remade so there would be no clearance issues. 

Yesterday/today I swapped the stock thermostat in my SR20DET to a lower temp Nismo unit. Swapped out the fans that came with my CX Racing radiator with some SPAL 11” pullers. The amount of air they move compared to the other units blew me away😁. Purged the cooling system and am very happy with the results. 

Previous setup was constantly going up to 220F. Ran it hard today on the freeway and puttering around stop and go streets in 95 degree heat and couldn’t get it over 202F.

• Like 1
On 4/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, EWD said:

Yesterday/today I swapped the stock thermostat in my SR20DET to a lower temp Nismo unit. Swapped out the fans that came with my CX Racing radiator with some SPAL 11” pullers. The amount of air they move compared to the other units blew me away😁. Purged the cooling system and am very happy with the results. 

Previous setup was constantly going up to 220F. Ran it hard today on the freeway and puttering around stop and go streets in 95 degree heat and couldn’t get it over 202F.

I've got one of these thermostats waiting for a day when I'm ready to pull my heater core and do some other cooling system work. I do think it is wild how warm the sr20det runs, but apparently they just run at 205-220 normally if forum accounts are to be believed.

My T3 adjustable TC rods came in yesterday, which is the final piece to get my car back together ahead of the show on Saturday (any ratsun folks going to the Kyusha Golden Week fest in Richmond?). So last night I spent a few hours trying to find the sweet spot on LCA length + TC rod length + tie rod length + camber plate position. Holy shit is this a hassle. The adjustable LCA from JBC does what it says, but if you want to adjust the length it needs to be freed at one end, which makes zeroing in on an initial setting very hard.

So after a few hours of mucking with it last night I /think/ I've got it close enough on the drivers side that I can copy the lengths tonight and get the passenger side done matching and drive it to get an alignment tomorrow morning.

Also I got my downpipe wrapped in some fiberglass header wrap, redid my master cylinder heat shield in some gold reflective heat tape.

So here I am less than 48 hours until the car show and I haven't gotten off jack stands yet, let alone driven it or gotten it detailed. Soooooo let's hope I can get it together.

Removed and reinstalled basically the entire front suspension about 4 times to get alignment close enough to drive the car to a good alignment shop. Of course it died about 8 blocks from home, thankfully in front of a car parts store. After puzzling over it for a while I realized that in the course of removing the original crossmember I had undone the engine to body ground wire and forgot to find a new home for it. Managed to get one starter bolt loose using a borrowed wrench and installed a new ground strap, she fires right up and made it to the shop where she is right now.

21 hours ago, drawks said:

Removed and reinstalled basically the entire front suspension about 4 times to get alignment close enough to drive the car to a good alignment shop. Of course it died about 8 blocks from home, thankfully in front of a car parts store. After puzzling over it for a while I realized that in the course of removing the original crossmember I had undone the engine to body ground wire and forgot to find a new home for it. Managed to get one starter bolt loose using a borrowed wrench and installed a new ground strap, she fires right up and made it to the shop where she is right now.

Im waiting for my set up from jbc now. 

Whats the driving like?

Welp just got my JBC v3 rack installed. After an alignment i took it out for a spin and HOLY SHIT this thing drives like my corvette... Im running 15x10 wheels and i have the 2.4 turn rack which with the JBC setup has me at 2 turns lock to lock.

Jesus I need to work on my forearms or take some caster out.  

The v3 saved me from selling this car.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Lozer said:

Welp just got my JBC v3 rack installed. After an alignment i took it out for a spin and HOLY SHIT this thing drives like my corvette... Im running 15x10 wheels and i have the 2.4 turn rack which with the JBC setup has me at 2 turns lock to lock.

Jesus I need to work on my forearms or take some caster out.  

The v3 saved me from selling this car.

15x10!!!!  Damn post a picture!  

• Like 2

Drove her to the building got some polishing compound and looked at cleaning the bird crap spots off the car just did a test to take off 1 today. I may just do a real fine sanding and then compound it to a shine, we'll see.

IMG-20190514-113317.jpg

IMG-20190514-113312.jpg

IMG-20190514-115327.jpg

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 2

I took off the front bumper and put the passenger seat back in after completing 3pt seat belt install for it. Definitely prefer this setup without the bumper although I feel a lip or air dam is in my future.

A5250C00-30F2-4586-805A-E796B08CBC60_zps

• Like 2
On 5/20/2019 at 6:30 PM, EWD said:

I took off the front bumper and put the passenger seat back in after completing 3pt seat belt install for it. Definitely prefer this setup without the bumper although I feel a lip or air dam is in my future.

A5250C00-30F2-4586-805A-E796B08CBC60_zps

FYI, don't give the cops a reason to be able to stop you while out cruising local hang outs etc.  Federal required bumpers in 1973 production years, you made it under the 1973 federally. However, most states have a front and rear bumper requirement, I know California does Div 12 Article 11.5 Bumpers 28070-28071.

Since I can't tell from your member info and no front plate, what state you are from.  I'm assuming California or Arizona with all the Palm trees in the background.  If California, also required to have a front plate, Arizona does not.

Can you drive without a front bumper, rear bumper, no driver side mirror, no review mirror, and tinted windows forward of the driver, sure, plenty do.  But, don't be crying when you get pulled over, get a ticket and told you have to put the original manufactured bumper on. And no, the carbon fiber or fiberglass reproduction ones won't do, by law.  You would stand a better chance of not getting stopped if you had the fiberglass ones on and painted.  Plus in California you get to mount the ugly front license plate to it! or not, as many do.

Love the rims by the way!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 69datsun510 said:

FYI, don't give the cops a reason to be able to stop you while out cruising local hang outs etc.

Can you drive without a front bumper, rear bumper, no driver side mirror, no review mirror, and tinted windows forward of the driver, sure, plenty do.  But, don't be crying when you get pulled over, get a ticket and told you have to put the original manufactured bumper on.

When I had my 620 it was raised 16"!! illegal as fuck. There was a Toyota guy in town whining about being pulled over and ticketed and towed home every 2 weeks for his rig not having something, like fenders over the mudder tires or too loud. Later I saw why... He drove around like an idiot (with attitude) with beer cans rolling around in the back, with windows, license plate and mirrors totally covered in mud. The point is I drove around in town quietly, didn't switch lanes, never in a hurry and no more than the speed limit and the po po saw me all the time and never even looked at me.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 69datsun510 said:

FYI, don't give the cops a reason to be able to stop you while out cruising local hang outs etc.  Federal required bumpers in 1973 production years, you made it under the 1973 federally. However, most states have a front and rear bumper requirement, I know California does Div 12 Article 11.5 Bumpers 28070-28071.

Since I can't tell from your member info and no front plate, what state you are from.  I'm assuming California or Arizona with all the Palm trees in the background.  If California, also required to have a front plate, Arizona does not.

Love the rims by the way!

Before you mentioned it I had not even thought about it. I looked around online and found this

https://firstquarterfinance.com/is-it-illegal-to-drive-without-a-bumper/

I am in one of the states where there is no defined law stating a front bumper (or any bumper) is required. This does not necessarily mean I couldn’t be ticketed and have it determined by a judge to be unsafe or unlawful. I will likely put it back on soon along with a front lip. 

Thanks for the wheel props!

• Like 1

Pulled out the 72 Sedan. And found enough parts out if the blue sedan to do a front end of the 72 Sedan witch probably needs it figuring I haven't done anything to it since I've owned it back in 1979. I have put plenty of miles on it since then. I remember it was like new when I got her ac worked and all. 

IMG-20190526-194308.jpg

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1

Some parts I found in the blue sedan.

Caliper kits not sure if 510 or 280zx haven't checked out yet

IMG_20190520_111059.jpg

Poly bushings

IMG_20190520_111103.jpg

Poly sway bar bushings

IMG_20190520_111107.jpg

Set of Balljoints

IMG_20190520_111131.jpg

And these plus maybe anouther cople sets not sure if it was for half shafts or drive shaft maybe both.

IMG_20190520_111226.jpg

Edited by edekalil

Not getting as much done as I'd like but I did get some bolts and washer to mount a piece a welder is supposed to call me about a he's gonna make maybe today. The piece will mount to the front bumper brackets mount area on the car and come out and mount to a piece of angle iron with a flat edge across the front the car to mount to the rotisserie. The great thing is I am so glad there is a place that deals with bolts washers and nuts and they have been able to fix me up with anything I have needed. Kinda unusual for Hicksville. (No offense to Hicks I'm one). Anyway that place has been great. Anyway crossing my fingers for a call from the welder.