Mesh-71

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Swapped the 3/4" clutch slave on my dime for a 13/16" nismo unit. What a great upgrade! I have no idea what pressure plate is in this car, but I went from the twitchiest grabbiest clutch pedal to something so superior.

Then installed the passenger side seat belt from the seatbeltplanet.com kit and took my buddy for a spin through the Berkeley hills.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

With the new Garrett disco potato in the Lemon Head 510 putting out so much more low end HP, the fairly stock clutch in the SR started slipping and in no time it was toast. The car is in Ashland OR. at my brother, so a shop called Aarons Automotive in Phoenix OR. installed the new one. He got a stage 3 Exedy Hyper twin plate cerametalic clutch with a super light flywheel. Fuck of the mountain tops that boy likes to spend money. Serious overkill, but I'm not complaining.

39914774163_f6f97c7978_z.jpg

46827510832_4a6bccebbe.jpg

Edited by paradime
  • Like 2
On 1/26/2019 at 12:10 AM, paradime said:

With the new Garrett disco potato in the Lemon Head 510 putting out so much more low end HP, the fairly stock clutch in the SR started slipping and in no time it was toast. The car is in Ashland OR. at my brother, so a shop called Aarons Automotive in Phoenix OR. installed the new one. He got a stage 3 Exedy Hyper twin plate cerametalic clutch with a super light flywheel. Fuck of the mountain tops that boy likes to spend money. Serious overkill, but I'm not complaining.

39914774163_f6f97c7978_z.jpg

46827510832_4a6bccebbe.jpg

That is some serious hardware! And to think that we once thought Center Force was the cats pajamas! 

• Like 2

Have a slide leak seeping between the hard and flexible line on the passenger side on the 70 510 Sedan, snugged up the connection but seems to still have a leak.

http://IMG-20190128-113718.jpg

Fired up the 72 and ran her. Come on warm weather so I can get some work done on my 510's.

Edited by edekalil
On 2/2/2019 at 9:27 PM, Aaron Datsun said:

I really like that. If you have a cheap router and can round the edges I bet it will look even better (just unsolicited advice) It looks great dude

Thanks, and always appreciate constructive criticism and ideas.   I was thinking about doing that.  Was looking at out router bits when I was grabbing the flush cut bit for the top piece.  It will eventually get wrapped in some sort of fabric (once my wife helps me find a good one), but think your right the rounded edges would help smooth it out.

• 3 weeks later...

First free day without rain in a couple weeks, got out and put some miles on the dime roaring around wildcat canyon and Bear Creek. The R8 coils seem to run good. I've still got a bit of a weird idle that may be because the nistune ecu I have was originally out of an automatic; I've heard that the iacv control is a little weird on the auto ecus.

I stopped for a cappuccino and had 7 different people approach me about my car as I was walking back to it. Including some kid (maybe 15 years old) who told me that Datsuns are his favorite and this was going to be a great day after seeing my car. I wanted to offer him a ride around the block, but figured that society doesn't really like it when you pickup random children in your car; too bad for him.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I will plan to take one of my sedans to this car get together in June. It gonna be down the street a couple blocks over. They'll be way more old hot rods and American cars mine will probably be the only old Datsun.

IMG-20190318-130146.jpg

1 hour ago, edekalil said:

I think I will plan to take one of my sedans to this car get together in June. It gonna be down the street a couple blocks over. They'll be way more old hot rods and American cars mine will probably be the only old Datsun.

Sometimes you'll be surprised and the Datsun will get most of the attention. 🙂 

• Like 1

Got out and DROVE it. Hard.

I need to take it to a dyno shop and see what it's really doing. Stock SR20DET is supposed to be ~200hp in stock form, but it doesn't really feel like it's that fast. I have a MBC that I plan to throw on it, and that'll give me the boost pressure readout as well. I'll keep tweaking it until I see some improvements. It'll be interesting to know exactly how much boost I'm playing with right now. If i recall correctly, there's some boost pressure solenoid that the engine originally had, and without it, there may be a limit to available boost, so that may be impacting things if that's the case.

In the meanwhile, it turned out that I had the timing a bit too far advanced, so I backed it down a bit and it quit pinging on me. 

Also for anybody that's done the 280zx/Maxima brake upgrade and discs in the back, is it supposed to brake like a new car? Like... on a dime? Because it doesn't feel super grabby, either. I'm a little underwhelmed by the brakes at the moment.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2019 at 6:40 PM, jovial_cynic said:

Got out and DROVE it. Hard.

I need to take it to a dyno shop and see what it's really doing. Stock SR20DET is supposed to be ~200hp in stock form, but it doesn't really feel like it's that fast. I have a MBC that I plan to throw on it, and that'll give me the boost pressure readout as well. I'll keep tweaking it until I see some improvements. It'll be interesting to know exactly how much boost I'm playing with right now. If i recall correctly, there's some boost pressure solenoid that the engine originally had, and without it, there may be a limit to available boost, so that may be impacting things if that's the case.

In the meanwhile, it turned out that I had the timing a bit too far advanced, so I backed it down a bit and it quit pinging on me. 

Also for anybody that's done the 280zx/Maxima brake upgrade and discs in the back, is it supposed to brake like a new car? Like... on a dime? Because it doesn't feel super grabby, either. I'm a little underwhelmed by the brakes at the moment.

I think I found the boost!

Man, an SR is unintuitive to tune if you don't read the step-by-step instructions first.. Having to juggle between the TPS and the idle, back and forth, until they agree with each other, and then dealing with the ECU, which is making adjustments of its own... it takes a while to nail it down!

Anyhow, I threw on a boost controller and ran it up to 14, and it is... scary. I mean, correctly tuned, 7psi is scary, too. But at 14psi, I was FLYING.

So before I drive it too crazy and hurt myself, I think I need to sort out the brakes. I may still have a little air in the lines; after I pump it a few times, it grabs faster, and I think I now recall something about the brakes just needing to be push harder than you expect, but it does grab just fine. Once the air is out, I'll test a hard stop with it until I get a sense of how it's going to behave. Going back and forth between my press-real-hard brakes on the 510 and my super-twitchy-power-brakes on the newer car is going to be fun.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jovial_cynic said:

I think I found the boost!

Man, an SR is unintuitive to tune if you don't read the step-by-step instructions first.. Having to juggle between the TPS and the idle, back and forth, until they agree with each other, and then dealing with the ECU, which is making adjustments of its own... it takes a while to nail it down!

Anyhow, I threw on a boost controller and ran it up to 14, and it is... scary. I mean, correctly tuned, 7psi is scary, too. But at 14psi, I was FLYING.

So before I drive it too crazy and hurt myself, I think I need to sort out the brakes. I may still have a little air in the lines; after I pump it a few times, it grabs faster, and I think I now recall something about the brakes just needing to be push harder than you expect, but it does grab just fine. Once the air is out, I'll test a hard stop with it until I get a sense of how it's going to behave. Going back and forth between my press-real-hard brakes on the 510 and my super-twitchy-power-brakes on the newer car is going to be fun.

LOL, Trying to get a piggyback boost controller to play nice with a stock ECU is a bit like playing Clue. It was Mr. Timing in the ignition with a wastegate spring. Glad you got your SR to finally wake up though. A little boost goes a long way. Do you have an O2 sensor with gauge in the car? 

is it the stock SR turbo?  I'm not sure I would run it that high stock.  Running past the turbo efficiency and maxing out the MAF.  Don't want to lean it out and melt down a piston.