Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congrats Joel! So uh what did you do to it TODAY? :D

Yesterday I installed my choke cable! OH man I haven't had a vehicle since my beetle in high school 16 years ago. Obviously I already knew it was important but I had forgotten how much easier it make your morning start up! Slipped on my shoes ran outside pulled the choke about 3/4, gave it a half a pump and fired it right up (50 degrees this morning). Went back inside for few, came out to a warm car and drove to work!

Played with the headlights for a few minutes and actually considered just wiring all four of them hot and decided not too :D. I'm gonna order the suggested relay from DQ and try it out. The harness has been spliced at the relay and at the headlights but as far as I can tell I've got it all wired back to original.

put in the carpet kit.. just finished.. cant wait to drive it today at 5 am,,, yay.... lol :fu:

I just got done doing the interior floors in mine today, too.

Floor project:

1. Welded beads across previous owners terrible sheet-metal floor job

2. Spread some rubberized paint on the floors

3. Cut a couple yards worth of jute pad to fit on the floors

4. Installed an old beat up carpet pad (I plan to make a new one later)

5. Installed original Datsun mats on top of the carpet

I thought that the decrease in noise in the cabin would be much more substantial... but it's still pretty loud in there. Between the dual 38mm SUs and the 2.25" exhaust, I don't think there's going to be much I can do to make the car quiet, without installing an expensive amount of dynomat or something.

I also finally got around to installing new wiper blades. I still don't have the wipers wired up yet (waiting for the toggles i bought on eBay to come in), but at least I know that if I hot-wire it in, I'll have working wipers.

Welded up my exhaust. The PO installed it all without any rubber hangers so a couple broke loose. Well I still didn't have any of the rubber but I think what we did will last. We also put a dimple in it to go around one of the seat belt bolts so it doesn't rub. NOthing says jalopy like a bunch of vibrating and clanging and slamming around. I had even turned up my idle just a hair so it wouldn't. :P

My Buddy Broke up with his girl, Call me this morning, wanted to hang out and work on cars:D

So he cruises over, Clean my Shop, Just had put my 510 in there it was a mess. Pulled the 1600 and 5spd out of my 69 dime. Then Pulled the cross member, to cut and flip it for my KA-t Swap in my 71:fu:

On to the real fun, The other night I started to sand on my Drivers side quarter to see how thick the mud was, Thick :(, like 1/4".

So tonight I got out the paint stripper and scraper and went to town on that mud. After several liberal coats and some more time spent welding holes in the engine bay, I got almost all the nasty bondo off. And to my surprise the metal is not that bad, it needs some work but the steel is not all rotted out. Paint remover is great because it keeps the dust down, just scrape that crap off onto the floor, wait for it to harden then sweep it up, much better than being covered in dust.

Changed out a headlight, changed the oil, and am getting the car wired up for headlights, taillights, and wipers.

Turns out that my dip stick isn't exactly accurate... it was still reading full at 2 qts. The only way I knew that I was running low is because my oil pressure gauge was reading 25psi, which is WAY too low.

I have a hard time believing that I've *dripped* out 2.5 qts of oil in the last few months (I have a small oil leak), but I'm not blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe, and there's no oil/sludge in the coolant. No loss of power.

:: shrug ::

Finally found out what was wrong with my brakes. When I installed a new brake pedala while back, I didn't realize that the pushrod to the master cylinder was now too short to reach the pedal, which limited the amount of available travel on the brake pedal before bottoming out. I backed off the threads on the rod and got it lined up properly, and *voila!*. Great brakes. Stops on a dime.

Also, dyno'd my 510 and came out with 111hp at the wheels. fun.

bolted down my 44s and my headers i also installed my scrocco radiator, installed the chrome strip that goes under the grill and made my spark plug wires, i recently installed my 5 speed tranny and for some reason 37 3/4 was a in long on the drive shaft i had cut so i took it back and cut another in for free hopefully this weekend ill get to fire my baby up......

well, i didnt "do" anything, but finalized my order with troy: full coilovers, camber/caster plate and tokico 5 way adjustables that he will be modifying to fit the camber plates. Got some 280zx struts and brakes from zuum510's friend (not sure if he is on here), which zuum is modifying for me for coilovers and shorter inserts (91 mr2 tokicos mentioned earlier). cant wait until they are on my car, but im kind of worried now that my wheels wont clear the 280zx brakes :(

Jovial I read your blog about that software looks cool. I may have to try that when I finally get tuned up.

It's pretty handy for tuning, that's for sure.

I wired in a fuel gauge finally. I actually scavenged a stock fuel gauge from a broken cluster, and since I'm not using a harness, I'm manually wiring it in. I also got a set of relays in the mail yesterday, so I can wire in headlights and wipers soon.

I need to start working on a custom dash, so I have some place to properly mount my gauges and switches.

* Also just bought this: http://datsun510.com/photopost/data/3644/medium/Free_Parts_014.jpg

I currently have four gauges for all of this, so reducing that down to two gauges should help reduce some clutter. I actually found a really slick 1970 roadster gauge that has oil, temp, fuel, and amps all in one gauge. I'd prefer voltage, since I don't really need the amps... but still - a 4-in-one gauge is pretty elegant. Also, very expensive; it's a part of a set (with mph/tach), and is listed at $275. yeesh.

Edited by jovial_cynic