What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

Took my weber apart to check my jets it's been running rich. yeah, they are all screwed up. Then my three year old got into my little pile of carb parts and lost the dust shield! After freaking out for a couple hours I finally found it. Reassembly tonight I hope!

oh and I adjusted my head lights so they aren't point 3 feet in front of me.

Edited by goatee
forgot
  • Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I DROVE mine to work today.

I've been trying to figure out a backfiring issue for MONTHS, and it turned out it was all caused by plug wires 2 & 3 being swapped.

You just gotta hate that! Been there, done that! I felt like a fool as a teenager when I wired the distributor "backwards" resulting in your same scenario! It's all part of learning! Chances are you

Threw in a new temp gauge. My previous one (mechanical, not electric) somehow broke, so I picked up a new one at a local Napa.

Next task is to track down some exhaust leaks. Any good suggestions other than blowing smoke at the pipe while it's running to see where it's leaking? I'm going to weld up the leaks, but trying to work around a hot exhaust doesn't sound like fun. I think I might seal up the tail pipe and push air into it with a compressor...

Well, I started installing the R180 Precision Gear LSD in a 720 front diff today for the Bronze. Datzenmike - that R180 diff is pretty damn clean - thanks for pulling it and getting it to me!

I started with a pressure wash of the exterior (which turned into a 1.5 hour long tech session on the pressure wash system). Then I took off the cover, and cleaned up the parts, took off the ring gear and I pulled the bearing off one side of the differential unit itself to get the part number, then proceeded to split the races in the differential side plates. I picked up the new bearings at Kaman today for $30 each (the OEM NSK bearings were actually in stock!) - too cheap to try and re-use the old ones (even thought they looked to be in great condition). Besides, there'd be no way to get one of the old ones off without destroying it.

So tomorrow I hope to install the bearings, assemble the whole diff and check the gear wipe pattern.

I'll take some pics tomrrow and post them if anthing is interesting.

Byron

I finished setting up the R180 with the Percision Gear clutch LSD, with some extra shims supplied by Specialty Engineering - thanks Andy. His shop is a god send to us Datsun guys in Vancouver. And also finished my radiator fabrication tonight. Now I have to get the surge tank built so that i can fill it!

Byron

I put my Nismo seats in my 78 510 which by no means is as easy as the 72. The floor boards are uneven and raised towards the center tunnel. With the seat bottoms being flat it required making spacers and brackets. Of course neither driver or passenger side were the same. Please excuse the crap job. Long time dreamer first time welder!

th_IMG_5687.jpg

th_IMG_5688.jpg

th_IMG_5689.jpg

th_IMG_5690.jpg

th_IMG_5691.jpg

th_IMG_5692.jpg

th_IMG_5694.jpg

Well, I ran the hell out of the Bronze today at the DNBC All Datsun/Nissan meet autoX, posted the fastest time of any Datsun, only getting put down by a Ferrari F5 (by just over 1 second) and a well driven WRX (just over a half second) - results I can live with :D

Tomorrow

That's good to hear! Assuming my feeler gauge makes it I'll be doing that this weekend too!

Spent most of last night dialing in a good idle and snap to my carb. I also adjusted the headlights so I can finally see. Took my wiper motor off again and decided I STILL ain't excited enough to work on that.

Well that part is supposedly less than 10 bucks and the housing on my is all chewed from people being in there so I probably need to replace it anyway. I was told by one of the guys here to clean the one in the column and then followed the dime quartely article I picked up to work on the relay. After doing both of those when I flip switch on the column my lights turn OFF. :D Previously it did nothing. Most of the headlight wiring was cut apart. I respliced them all and tried to make it look better at least for now.

Bled the brakes (again; I think I have a leak somewhere), and installed a necessary fuel-pump spacer. I had no idea a spacer went between the fuel pump and the head! The engine came to me that way... it's no wonder my O2 gauge has been pegging rich. The stock fuel pump is supposed to push 3.5 to 4 psi with the spacer, but without it, it's pushing out around 10 psi. WAY too much for my SUs.

Bled the brakes (again; I think I have a leak somewhere), and installed a necessary fuel-pump spacer. I had no idea a spacer went between the fuel pump and the head! The engine came to me that way... it's no wonder my O2 gauge has been pegging rich. The stock fuel pump is supposed to push 3.5 to 4 psi with the spacer, but without it, it's pushing out around 10 psi. WAY too much for my SUs.

I am surprised you didn't blow the diaphragm or gawl the pump arm..