Mesh-71

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Water pump finally off 70 510 Sedan, now after lunch I should get the new one back on and running with no water leaks!

B8427_DB4-4_CD2-4_EDB-_BDF8-311_A91_DA37

Oh she’s a dirty bitch.

Pump is on.

2_EAAAE42-_BCCC-48_FE-_AB71-_FE080927_EC

But  had to stop after that for now, gotta pick up some washers and maybe a nut and bolt to get the rad and shroud back on right ( some where missing). Also I’ll paint the timing marks so I can see them good when I set the timing.

Forgot ot to add this pic of the belt that was on it.

0E7FF786-9638-4261-A79D-8F89C57343C9.jpg

Edited by edekalil
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been ignoring an exhaust leak at the manifold on my SR20DET. The manifold isn't flat, so the center presses against the head, but the left and right sides are bowed out just enough to leave a gap on one side or the other. No good. But I've been busy, so I've just dealt with it.

Anyhow, I tried to yank the turbo assembly out today, but MAN, it's a tight fit in the engine bay. I don't even remember how I got it out last time. I think I might have lifted the engine out a bit to access it... but that means disconnecting the radiator, disconnecting the transmission (possibly), etc., etc. And at the old house, doing this wasn't that big of a deal, because I had a shop. At the new house, there's no shop. And there's barely a garage... which is currently full of stuff that doesn't fit in the house. So... the 510 is outside on gravel, under a pop-up tent and rain cover. Getting under the car isn't a pleasant experience right now.

Anyhow, whine whine, wah-wah-wah, I'll get over it and get it done. I have a Datsun 510 that I love working on, so there's no sense in complaining too much.   :D

• Like 2
On October 15, 2018 at 6:39 PM, jovial_cynic said:

I've been ignoring an exhaust leak at the manifold on my SR20DET. The manifold isn't flat, so the center presses against the head, but the left and right sides are bowed out just enough to leave a gap on one side or the other. No good. But I've been busy, so I've just dealt with it.

Anyhow, I tried to yank the turbo assembly out today, but MAN, it's a tight fit in the engine bay. I don't even remember how I got it out last time. I think I might have lifted the engine out a bit to access it... but that means disconnecting the radiator, disconnecting the transmission (possibly), etc., etc. And at the old house, doing this wasn't that big of a deal, because I had a shop. At the new house, there's no shop. And there's barely a garage... which is currently full of stuff that doesn't fit in the house. So... the 510 is outside on gravel, under a pop-up tent and rain cover. Getting under the car isn't a pleasant experience right now.

Anyhow, whine whine, wah-wah-wah, I'll get over it and get it done. I have a Datsun 510 that I love working on, so there's no sense in complaining too much.   :D

I understand that, good luck with her. I gotta swap my Goon to the building and put a Sedan at the house cause I have to do some work on the Goon. I have all of what I need at the building and that way I can drive a Sedan with out having to pull out several cars to get to it.

• Like 1

I cleared out room in the garage and squeezed the 510 in there. Very tight fit.

But, I got quite a bit of work done. I pulled the exhaust manifold and set it on a bench belt sander (50 grit) for about 20 minutes and got it smoothed out. It took forever to get it all back together (I did have to unbolt the driver-side mount and lift the engine several inches), but I got it done and put back together. Now, the only exhaust leaks are down under the car, post turbo...

In other news, I have a new issue w/ the brakes. I went 4-wheel disc, and now the brakes seem to operate in two modes:

1. "Doesn't stop very quickly, but nice hard pedal feel. Just not gripping well."

2. Pedal seems very stiff, and the brakes aren't releasing all the way!

So... that's annoying. But at least today was an incredibly beautiful day to work on the car!

• Like 2

Ok. Brakes sorted. A combination of "needs to be bled a bit more" and "not enough slack in the MC rod/pedal" creates a very strange driving experience.

I finally got around to converting my HKS clone blowoff valve from vent-to-atmo to recirculate, so no more stumbling and idling out when I stop after hard boost. What a HUGE difference that makes. Also, I previously had my electric radiator fan come on at a particular temperature, but when I swapped radiators, I had to give up the thermo-switch that triggered the fan relay. So... I drove around wondering why my engine temp wouldn't go down. I may have to get something figured out there. 

• Like 2