What do you think of this rust?

dozenhundred

Hi all,

I've been looking at a 1200 coupe on the portland craigslist.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/1254830495.html

I had him send me some pictures that I would like to get some opinions on. One shows what the owner calls some bubbling above the windshield. The other shows the underside near the exhaust outlet. I see what appears to be a fatigue crack on the bracket that seems to be holding the gas tank. It's doesn't look like rust to me, but I am no expert there. I was wondering if any of you might give me an opinion on how bad this is. I have asked for more pics, and will see what else he sends, but in the meantime...

I live in Tucson AZ and this car is in Portland area so I want to be sure I am not biting off more than I can chew before I jump in.

Thanks,

Kelly

2709149090045960163xWMEzC_th.jpg

2931472120045960163eQZvAh_th.jpg

click on to enlarge

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather closer to home. I do try to look at craigslist almost daily. I have only seen 1 1200 coupe in arizona in over a year, and it was around easter in 2008. I definatly want a 1200 coupe. I had one for my first car in 1980. I am on the northwest side of Tucson. You have a local source or any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks

What do you think of this rust?

You have to be careful with windshield area rust because if its on top its no doubt been festering and or traveling down. The rear one looks more like caked on grime and undercoating to me then rust but its impossible to tell 100% in a pic.

Idk how much you can chew but I would do a check on that windshield. At least a rap tap tap......

MAZDAT i've seen your car on craigslist before, I really like it. I had figured it was sold. I still have a printed copy of the add so I could call. If you still have it we should talk. What do you have left to do? You're much closer to me than Portland. PM me if you would like!

Thanks

Kelly

72240z Thanks for that. I am indeed more worried about that area than the rockers that I don't have a pic of yet. Hard for me to knock on it from here. I am likely being too impatient, and should wait for another. It does have a 5 speed and weber and header, but I could do that to any of them.

I really wanted Duncan's coupe a while back but the timing was off for my finances.

The seller has not responded to my request for more pics. He mentioned some rust bubbling on the rockers too. He has mentioned the things that don't seem operative on the car. The speedo doesn't work, he said the previous owner thought it was the drive pinion in the trans (out of 210 wagon, not dogleg). I don't know how easy that part will be to find. The cig. lighter is inop. but that should be an easy fix. The pass door won't unlock with the key from the outside. I like the car but am a little worried on the rust. Since I am so far away I may wait for another unless I get more pics.

Thanks for all the responces.

Kelly

mazdat i've seen your car on craigslist before, i really like it. I had figured it was sold. I still have a printed copy of the add so i could call. If you still have it we should talk. What do you have left to do? You're much closer to me than portland. Pm me if you would like!

Thanks

kelly

pm'd:)

• 3 weeks later...

in all honesty I have 1200 coupe and an opel gt (1972,73) that both have that kind of rust in other areas. It is actually very common on cars this old I'm not specifically ones from the NW. Depending on how much work you want to do you might get down to the rust POR15 it then it looks like the car could use a respray anyway.

Agreed. Those mechanical problems, even the transmission, don't faze me. I'd buy the car. But rust bubble *above the windshield* is a trouble sign. I'd have to see it in person and inspect it well. My 1200 that showed signs like that within a 2 year was popping out all over. You would need to remove the headliner to get a good look.

If you plan is to restore it, it's not so big a deal. But if you plan to "drive" it in the original condition then inspect it very carefully.

So...it depends on your expectations. Maybe in person you will find there is no real problem. There are many 1200s for sale right now.

I did pass on it and bought Mazdat's car. He posted about the sale here. I got it home yesterday. I do have some floor rust to deal with, but I'm not skeerd of that. Yes he did tell me about it ahead of time. Mazdat was great to work with.

Kelly

I saw his goodbye thread for his car. It's a real good lookin car. Congrats.