620 Factory One Ton?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought all Datsun trucks were considered "one-ton", at least from their point of view. There's an old ad where one of their pickups is actually sitting in the bed of another, touting the one ton capacity.

Edited by yellowdatsun

most 620 p/ups r 1/2 ton, some of the long bed reg cab trucks were specified as 3/4 ton due to stiffer springs, there r some long bed trucks after 76 that r 1 tons, we had 1 as a delivery truck at a parts ware house i used to work for, had a strengthened frame and a lot stiffer springs came with 15 inch dually style wheels from the factory, not double in the rear but dually stlye with thicker metal and the 4 oval slotted rim holes, still six lug, some king kabs were also noted as 3/4 ton, they were mainly base model trucks, and had stiffer spring rates, also with differant rims, i have seen a lot of these here around phx over the years, mostly for industrial uses.have not seen to many as of lately, the vin started differantly, instead of pl, i think was ph, pl meaning pick up light duty, ph meaning pick up heavy duty, or something close to that.

It always amazes me how japanese makes have such high weight to size ratio with under powered motors and american makes always the exact opposite (base vs base).

Did anyone read the article in nissan sport about how they had to take a vid of them being cursed at but by cali folk trying to accelerate the 320 into traffic and when the ceo came opted to fly to vegas instead of taking the 320 or 1200 lol.

most 620 p/ups r 1/2 ton, some of the long bed reg cab trucks were specified as 3/4 ton due to stiffer springs, there r some long bed trucks after 76 that r 1 tons, we had 1 as a delivery truck at a parts ware house i used to work for, had a strengthened frame and a lot stiffer springs came with 15 inch dually style wheels from the factory, not double in the rear but dually stlye with thicker metal and the 4 oval slotted rim holes, still six lug, some king kabs were also noted as 3/4 ton, they were mainly base model trucks, and had stiffer spring rates, also with differant rims, i have seen a lot of these here around phx over the years, mostly for industrial uses.have not seen to many as of lately, the vin started differantly, instead of pl, i think was ph, pl meaning pick up light duty, ph meaning pick up heavy duty, or something close to that.

The J13 520/521 were rated at just over 2,200 lb while the L16 (PL521) were rated at just 1,100 lb. Remember this is the rating and not what it will safely carry. I researched and both the J13 and L16 520/521 from 10 '66 and on use the same spring assy part number 55045 20400. So even though the L16 could legally only carry 1,200 lb it could carry over a ton with these 7 leaf springs.

All 620s were rated at 500kg or 1,100 lb ... again they may have had stiffer springs over the years and indeed they may have been able to carry a '3/4 ton' but I can't find any info of this as a rating. After 01 '78 there were cab chassis 620s that could be fitted as cube vans or with campers or flatbeds and had dual dual tires. I can't find the weight rating on these.

The stock 620 spring changed several times probably to compensate for the heavier long wheelbase (bigger heavier gas tanks) and KC trucks with L20Bs around '76. and again in 78. Aside from this, there were optional truck camper springs for '73-'77 and for the '77 model. In '78 and on, there was an optional 'Heavy duty' spring.

Guest DatsuNoob

My truck has 1 ton springs on it. 5 or 6 leafs I think? I had it loaded down with ALOT of heavy stuff for my move, engine, trans, hoist, rollaway fulla tools, parts, welder, bottle, compressor, random boxes, etc. Hardly even moved! No squat. I must say I was impressed.

It's really amazing how much they can tote around, even the J13 powered trucks. Not fast, but they can haul a lot. I see landscapers and junk collectors here in Phoenix all the time with old Datsun trucks and the back is piled up 8 feet high with a ton of crap.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 79 620 and it is infact a 1 ton! And it can actually haul it! Not quickly.. but it can. My dad has a tiny little bulldozer that is form the 40s or 50s. It fits nicely in my bed (longbed) and it weighs 1900lbs and im sure I had about 100 pounds worth of tools and parts along with the dozer and my truck was still about 3 inches from the bumpstops! The VIN starts with EHL620 on the heavy duty or 1 ton models. My truck was sold as a cab and chassis and has an "incomplete vehicle manufacture" tag in the door stamped 3/79. I would assume that someone bought it in 8/79 and put a bed on it thats when the Complete tag is stamped. Great truck!! Very reliable! has 408K on it and I got a bible of maint records!