3 Datsun 4spd manuals - $75obo each

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2009-07-04%2012.47.15.jpg

The left one is hard to see but looks like a Z car rear mount on it, possibly an 810/Maxima. The middle one is a 4spd for sure and 'seems' like the left one. The right one is what appears to be a Roadster box, possibly with an L bell on it used in the early Z car through mid '71. You're absolutely sure the right one is a 4spd? Does the right one have a bolt on bell housing? Does it have a ring of 10 bolt holes inside like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/LRoadsterbell003.jpg[/img]"]LRoadsterbell003.jpg

Got better pictures?

Edited by datzenmike

I don't have better pictures, but I can get them. The front one is definitely different from the other two (they look identical) and I'm not 100% certain that it's a 4spd. The one in the rear (left) came out of my 240z, and despite how dirty it is changes gears nicely. The middle one came out of the s130, but was pulled from SOMETHING in a junkyard to get into the s130. It says 4spd on it, so I'm going by that. The one in the front has a different shifter altogether and I'm just not familiar enough with these transmissions to be 100% certain on any of them. I suppose I could go try going through all the gears to see if it's a 4spd or 5spd.

*edit*

Found this pic, but 'better' is a subjective term.

2009-07-04%2012.46.17.jpg

I find it so unbelievable that someone threw a 4 speed into a s130 lol. Not by any means saying it isn't so, it's just so odd.

Tried identifying it by the shift pattern, but most of the shifter is missing and it has a lot of slop to it. I took the shifter off and used a C-clamp to try shifting, and it FEELS like there's a 5th gear there, but it doesn't seem to reach with the shifter attached. I'm sure I could mess with it a bit and get it to go if that's correct, but I'd rather find some way to be sure that it's a 5spd rather than a 4spd ahead of time. I dug up the casting code on the tranny farthest to the right, if anybody could help me identify it that'd be superb.

2009-07-06%2019.53.27.jpg

Find reverse. Turn the input shaft by hand, the output spline should turn opposite. Shove lever straight back. If there is a 5th gear it will turn forward. Another check is to count the turns. If a 5th overdrive it should turn more times than the input. Roughly 9 input turns gives 10 output.

I only took off the rear housing, I don't want it to fall apart or have anything fall into it. I'll yank the cover off again today and snap some pics, though. Maybe video, if I can figure out how to mount a camera so I can actually see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.