wrist pins

Apollo77

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 pistons and pins are interchangeable with L rods so L18 should be similar.... the Z24 pin requires .5 to 1.5 tons of pressure to push out. You need to protect the piston if saving it, by supporting it on the pin bosses and not the outer diameter that rides in the cylinder. Get a press ready and heat the piston in the oven to 250 degrees. Use an oven mit and quickly place in the press and push the pin out. Keep track of the rod/piston and pin position so it can be assembled in the same relation. Trust me rods and pistons have a front and back to them. Heating the rods and pistons will also ease assembly.

Edited by datzenmike
whats the difference beteewn l18 and l20b?

cuz thats what i got..

DV

As far as pistons the dish size. L20B dish is 11.36cc and L18s are 4.36cc. Butting L20B pistons on an L18 will drop the compression quite a bit. Likewise L18 pistons on an L20B will raise the compression.

As far as pistons the dish size. L20B dish is 11.36cc and L18s are 4.36cc. Butting L20B pistons on an L18 will drop the compression quite a bit. Likewise L18 pistons on an L20B will raise the compression.

i have a L20B and im looking for the proper way to get the wrist pins out. every thing ive tried so far hasnt worked. i got new pins and need the old arms but cant separate the pins to do the swap

DV

looking for the proper way to get the wrist pins out. every thing ive tried so far hasnt worked.

proper = hydraulic press.

improper removal = BFH and a vise.

install new (if the rods are still OK) by cooling the pins and heating the pistons...or just have a shop do it.