ratsun guru's 78 disk to 75 frame?

just picked up this 78 for free! the po bought it new and it has been parked for 9 yrs.420,000 k on it and all they ever did was change the oil!so anyway it is rusted beyond repair so i will be just recycling it for whatever i can get out of it(mint tail lights,mint front bumper)i have a question for all you ratsun guru's.78 disk brakes,are they compatible with a drum brake frame?

P7020270.jpg

P7020269.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no. in order to run disck on the drum brake frame, you would either need the adapter brackets to mount he carriers on the king pins, OR custom upper control arms.

ya i thought the frame was a bit different i might just have to restore this old frame. thanx

Edited by polski ogorki
forgot to say thanx

Check the frame width....if the same, you can graft the whole front clip onto the '75.

You can also carefully cut the shock towers off the '78 and do the swap that way. Doing the clip would be the best way. Or swap the body to the new frame.

If the kingpins are good on the '75, it's a lot easier to put discs on them......just not as cheap! :)

Check the frame width....if the same, you can graft the whole front clip onto the '75.

You can also carefully cut the shock towers off the '78 and do the swap that way. Doing the clip would be the best way. Or swap the body to the new frame.

If the kingpins are good on the '75, it's a lot easier to put discs on them......just not as cheap! :)

My own 2 pence: My '70 cab sits on (what I understand to be) a '70 frame grafted to a '79 front clip, welded together at the front of the cab area, so I have disks.

I'm not sure I'd do this if I had the choice, but it works so far. :blink:

just swap frames over to be uber cheap, unless its toast too. i got custom uppers from beebani. he is one magnificent fabricator. i was originally going to cut the upper arm perches off each fram then change just them over, beats grafting a frame. dont have to remove the motor either. changing the mounts actually wasnt that hard, i had gotten the ones off my 78 frame chunk, but never did the swap, woulda been fairly easy too.

well, 1973 standard cab and the later kingcab are not the same length of frame. Too bad it wasn't a 1978 standard cab.

The kingcab will have a longer wheelbase and the bed mounts won't line up.

Frame cutting would be a good way to go. Either shorten the kingcab frame or just cut the front rails off in front of the cab and weld them on the other truck.