Hello, Im new

clutch810

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

first off cover the carb and disty and hose that bad boy off, lol! look slike you need some new tires and maybe wheels, might want to start scoping out CL and the JY (jewelry yard) There is a lot that can be removed off of that motor it looks like if you want to clean up the engine bay a little ;) Whats up with that gas tank?!? more pics of that FOR SURE!!! Does it currently run? Do you have the bed? Where are you located? Might want to add those things, there are a LOT of members on here that will help you out so you can get that thing back on the road where it belongs :) where did you get it, and whats the story behind it? (Grabs a bucket of popcorn)

Edited by dwnshfter

Welcome aboard Matt.

You found a good site with good people.

Welcome..wow do NOT drive the truck until you put the leafs back UNDER the axle. it WILL wrap & cause damage. Ask alot of ?'s were here to help.:cool:

really??

All 1988-1999 stock silverado's have the leafs on top with no issues. The only time I got axle wrap was when I took out some leafs and put 4 pumps with 10 batteries back there.

Before i can even begin to wash it i have to get the tire fixed lol.

what can i remove? i live in California and i have to pass smog, its a 78

the gas tank, funny story, there isnt one. the one in the picture is an old diesel tank. does anyone have a picture of what the gas tank looks like?

i have gotten it to almost kick over. 30 something hours of rewiring and replacing vacuum lines and killing over 100 spiders and a mouse i got the old thing to fire right up. the bed. the bed is full of old parts for a vw bug back where i picked it up from and there are about 2 or 3 snake family's living under there. i don't do to well with them, so i decided the bed could stay and i am going to make it a flat bed.

The truck is located in Clovis CA

I came across this truck 2 years ago, at one of my ex girlfriends house, they gave me a choice either an 89 mustang or the datsun. i chose the mustang. after about a year of messing with it i got it all the way restored and ready to be street legal again. they told me they had sold it and since i wasnt on the pink they didnt have to give me any money, well damn.

so a year went by the family started having hardships and they said they were getting rid of everything by sunday, i came over saw the datsun said they i would take it. they told me give me what ever you think it was worth, i said at the moment like it is 200 but only had 75$ i gave her that and said that was all i had i could get more if she wanted me to, she said it was fine and i needed to get it out. i got my tralior and the truck and went home. parked it in the garage. got the pink signed over. and started in on my summer project. it has to be running and moving by the time summer is over or i will have to get rid of it. my parents rules. well thats how it all has started.

i need a radiator, gas tank, a tire and the some more money.

other than that, the reason that the axial is on bottom of the springs is because i kept knocking my legs on the frame, and my friend brought me som 31" tires for the rear and they wont fit unless the axial is on the bottom.

i have never messed with forign cars so this is a first, all ive ever owned was 2005 f150 (rolled it) 2003 mustang gt (wreaked) 2002 mustang v6 (still good) and the fasted v6 in town. and a moped to get me from my house to the parts shop

Edited by clutch810

the bed is full of old parts for a vw bug back where i picked it up from and there are about 2 or 3 snake family's living under there. i don't do to well with them, so i decided the bed could stay and i am going to make it a flat bed.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

dude put on some gloves and go get yer bed!

well ya see one of the ideas we had was to incorporate a bbq pit in the back of the truck. i like to cook and when we go to the lake it'd be nice to have one right there.

ill see if i can get back there to take a picture of the bed. its not that pretty from what i remember, the older brother was going to bag the truck so he notched the bed.

really??

All 1988-1999 stock silverado's have the leafs on top with no issues. The only time I got axle wrap was when I took out some leafs and put 4 pumps with 10 batteries back there.

LOL yah think yah might get a little wrap with that combo:) four link if your going that way with the suspention.

LOL yah think yah might get a little wrap with that combo:) four link if your going that way with the suspention.

I had a buddy break a link twice trying to 3 wheel and he was bagged(no weight in back). I haven't had any issues really , just wore through my lower control arms. But that's from taking out reflectors. :)

All 720 4X4s have the leaves over the axles. As long as the spring mount is welded on to the axle and the springs bolted down on it, you should be fine... that is if you use ALL the springs. Make sure you get shocks on that or you may get some wheel hop. Full springs and shocks and good to go. I swapped mine to the top and got 4-6" of 'free' lift.

Without the bed on, 31s will fit just fine on that truck. Fitting the axle under the springs is way over kill and not needed. The 620 tends to sit with the back end a bit higher than the front anyway. Putting 31s on is going to make this even worse.... way worse! It will feel like you are driving down a steep hill all the time!

You will need to raise the front some to try and even it out. Check: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129 for do's and don'ts of front end lifting and torsion bar indexing. Over or under a certain height will max out the camber adjustment on the 620. Above this point and the tops of the wheels begin to lean in toward the center of the truck. This will affect handling/steering and will grind the rubber off the insides of both tires. Raising will cause a toe out of the front tires but this at least can be adjusted out.

If you still want/need the 31s on the back, keep the rear end over the springs. BTW, 31" won't fit the front without rubbing the frame on turns and body on bumps. Even with a 4" body lift mine would touch the floor under the pedals on bumps.

Crap, forgot about the automatic! Definitely forget the 31s. Give back or sell, take the money and get a reg. wheel base gas tank for your truck. If it was built after Jan '78 the tank bolts to the frame so you won't need the box. But get the box and V-Dub parts anyway as kamakazi620 suggests.

....There is a lot that can be removed off of that motor it looks like if you want to clean up the engine bay a little ;) .....

he wants to be able to register it in California. Since it's not pre 1976, it's subject to bi-annual smog inspections and testing, and removal of any of the factory emissions stuff will result in the truck failing the visual inspection - it won't even get as far as the actual tailpipe test.......

yep cali sucks for that, im going to have to reg my truck in oregon after the ka swap... i would keep all the smog stuff on it. it wont make that big of a diffrence anyway unless you run aftermarket parts, or wait untill it passes smog then you got two years by that time you will proble upgrade anyway :lol:

yep cali sucks for that, im going to have to reg my truck in oregon after the ka swap... i would keep all the smog stuff on it. it wont make that big of a diffrence anyway unless you run aftermarket parts, or wait untill it passes smog then you got two years by that time you will proble upgrade anyway :lol:

to make it legal - once it's been approved, it can be smogged anywhere.

Neighbor just went through the referee process with a Subaru 2.5 powered Vanagon Syncro - kind of a PITA, but now the Vanagon's as legal as it was with the old, underpowered "vasserboxer"......