Old nissan v8

I cant remember if they were put in the patrols or not but I would like to find an older y44 nissan v8 from the late 70's era. I know I should just find a chevy 350 but this would be way cooler and be sort of in the family even though I think nissan outsourced most of the engine. If anybody knows of one or where I can probly find one lemme know. peace.

it looks like this P1010781.JPG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quite an interesting photo......with the distributor up front it makes it a bit easier to deal with than a small block chevy..(distributor in the rear against the firewall)...also from the picture. it looks as though the hood is similar to a z car..latch at the windshield.....???hmmmmmmmmm very nice..what year is it?

Pontiac didn't... At least with the 350 and 326. Oldsmobile didn't either. Buick did, I forgot about them. Ford had there distributor in the front, but it wasn't on an angle like the others.

I wonder "where" the block for the nissan engine came from?

Pontiac didn't...

I've seen one somewhere, but since I can't recall I will bow to your superior intellect. ;)

I wonder "where" the block for the nissan engine came from?

Is it a stretch to believe Nissan made it in house?

But I will tell you the Patrol engine is in fact so similar to a vintage big Chevy 6 that some parts will actually interchange. So it's possible the Y engine is a copy of someone elses, just never seen anything that even resembles it.

From what I've seen those only came in Nissan Presidents.

All the US Patrols I've seen have HUGE inline 6 engines (looks just like and old Chevy "stovebolt" 6).

Here's a '67 L 60 Patrol I found in NW Ontario last summer...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/00280014.jpg[/img]"]00280014.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/00280015.jpg[/img]"]00280015.jpg

almost 4 liters.

Didn't old AMC engines, and mopar engines have the distributor there... Hmmm I wonder how much stuff Nissan sourced out... What was the displacment?

The Chrysler B series engines 361,383,400,413,426,and 440 had front distributers. The 272,318,340 and 360 didn't.

The first V8 the Y40 was 3,988cc followed by the Y 44 at 4,414cc and in '89 the VH45DE at 4,494cc.

Here's a '67 L 60 Patrol I found in NW Ontario last summer...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/00280014.jpg[/img]"]00280014.jpg

almost 4 liters.

Funny Patrol story...

A friend here bought a Patrol in about that condition, body was wasted. We were considering putting a 1200 Coupe body on it to have a 4WD lifted 1200. It hadn't been ran in 10 years and had the hood off most of that time. We hooked up a hot battery, slapped some mismatched plug wires on it, poured some gas down the carb and it started almost instantly. :P :P :P :P

And ran VERY smooth.

i thought the same thing but apparently the Y name was just there because of how it looked. wiki says "known for its deep skirting which causes the engine to resemble a Y"

i'm just curious: would it be easier to find a Ford Y256 or a Nissan Y40 ?

and as this all sounded very interesting i looked this up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Y_engine says:

The Y40 was a special watercooled V8 engine produced for the Nissan President Limousine between 1965 and 1973. It displaced 4.0 L (3988 cc) with a 92 mm bore and 75 mm stroke. It has 16 valves (2 valves per cylinder) and a 4-barrel carburetor and 9.0:1 compression produced 197,7 hp (195 bhp, 145 kW) @5000 rpm and 237 ft.lbf (323 Nm) @3200 rpm, a high point for Nissan at the time.

WOW this thread blew up pretty quick, lol! I saw three pages and got really excited with hope that somebody had one :(. Looks like I gotta watch rinkya and ebay for one of these suckers.

BTW- I found some OLD AMC motor in a 63 willy's wagon at the local junkyard and it had the dizzy in the back but also at an angle, kinda crazy looking abomination. peace.

i thought the same thing but apparently the Y name was just there because of how it looked. wiki says "known for its deep skirting which causes the engine to resemble a Y"

i'm just curious: would it be easier to find a Ford Y256 or a Nissan Y40 ?

and as this all sounded very interesting i looked this up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Y_engine says:

The Y40 was a special watercooled V8 engine produced for the Nissan President Limousine between 1965 and 1973. It displaced 4.0 L (3988 cc) with a 92 mm bore and 75 mm stroke. It has 16 valves (2 valves per cylinder) and a 4-barrel carburetor and 9.0:1 compression produced 197,7 hp (195 bhp, 145 kW) @5000 rpm and 237 ft.lbf (323 Nm) @3200 rpm, a high point for Nissan at the time.

The Japanese were superb ay copying other ideas and improving on them. The L series is based on a Mercedes OHC design, the Hitachi SU on the British one, the 3N71B automatic from an Austin? I think, and on and on...

yea i was reading about the L right after i was readin that about the Y. and i think it's interesting, people always say they copied... they didn't just copy... they improved on the mercedes design so much that it was no longer nec. for prince to get permission to produce it because it was no longer a copy, it was like an evolution of the basic design.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.