The quest for Power Steering (aka Junkyard pilliage)

I phoned up the good junkyard in town today, and they said... Next week they will be getting a 79 620, and an 84 720 pickup!!! AWESOME! SO, I'm pretty much going to take everything off the 620 that I need for my truck, or that is in better condition that my truck. Anything else?

As far as the 720 goes... This is just a hunch, but I think it's got power steering... BUT it's got either a Z22 or a Z24. Would the Z power steering pump, and bracket, bolt up to an L engine? OR does it strictly have to be an L engine I get the stuff from? Aside from my wishful thinking, thinking I can get power steering from this 720, what else should I grab off it? I'm pretty sure I can use just the PS box off it though if I cant use the pump, right?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont forget that the steering column in the 620 is part of the gear box, The gear box and column in the 720 are seperated with an intermediate shaft. So a little fab work will be involved. Also the 620 gearbox is mounted inboard of the frame and the 720 gearbox is outboard of the frame, more fab work.

As far as the pump, pretty sure the Z22/24 brackets will not fit the L20, but the pump may be the same and then maybe use brackets from a L28?

Jason

A 280 Z set up would be less work but I think the 720 is very possible. The '84 would be a Z24. Also it (Z24 and 280Z) mounts where the L series fuel pump is so you will nees an electric pump.

My first P/S set up used a 280 Z P/S box which sits inside the frame rail and will bolt to the stock 620 steering linkages. I had to put a 720 steering column in and get rid of that one piece 620 one. I made my own pumop mount but should have used a 280 Z one. Whwn I get home to-night I see if I have pix.

Here's the p/s box like the one I first used. It's from a '79-'80 280 Z car and as you can see the sector shaft is on the inside of the frame rail just like the 620. The pitman arm is facing the wrong way but because of the way the splines are, there are only 4 different way to mount it, one being 180 degrees. If you switch the arm around it will face the same way as the 620.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/280zPSbox.jpg[/img]"]280zPSbox.jpg

If you have the stock 620 pitman arm with the two holes for the steering linkage use that one. Jason do you have a single hole in the pitman arm for cross steering?

Here's the box I'm now using... I thought it was from a Hard Body (def not a 720), anyway as you can see the sector shaft is now outside the frame rail and is connected to a single ball joint on the end of the cross shaft steering. The rag joint coupling I made myself from a piece of conveyor belt.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0426.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0426.jpg

Here's most of the 720 steering column with the little U joint. The stock one piece does not allow easy body lifts, as it is rigidly mounted to the frame.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/steeringcolumnUjoint.jpg[/img]"]steeringcolumnUjoint.jpg

hey Mike. I've had over 20 Z cars ranging from a 69 240z to a 90 300zx and everything in between and all of them had rack & pinion not a stearing box.

what gives?

I'm pretty sure of the year, I looked at the door tag. Maybe Bleach would know more, but yes, most are r&p type. In my travels I noticed that the '81 200sx has the same looking box, also the standard steering box is a close replacement for the old 510s. I gave one away to Denis Gayne of the Realm to try. 510 boxes are getting very worn by now and are hard to find anywere.

Would it be possible to use the 620 column at all? Sounds like I should check out other options than the 720 box, eh? Yes, my pitman arm is the one with 2 holes.

Jason the 620 box and column are one piece, they will unbolt but the steering shaft that the steering wheel bolts to also has the worm gear for the box on the other end... one piece. Seeing as how your truck sits high maybe things have been modified from stock? If you have the two hole pitman arm it will fit the sector shaft spline on the 280Z box. You will need a p/s pump and a 720 steering column and a little fabrication. The problem with the 720 box is that it is offset tp the driver's side by 3-4" and would affect the geometry. if you could lengthen one steering arm and shorten the other one it might work.

The 720 column really helped and it also has a working steering lock when the key is removed. I think the 620 has a slot in the column but the key assembly dosen't have the mating part to make it function.