Which engines fits the 620?

uhhitsfuzzy

Stick with a L 16, 18 or 20. Most swaps dont get finished & the truck will sit.

True but if you really want it you can make it happen I did my swap in about a month from tear down to drivin. With my kids in my way lol and about 600 bucks includes moter trany new exhaust the works just can't expect not to bleed a little

• Like 1
  • 7 years later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. thanks =] i just got lazy coz i was using my phone. for that rolla..

4agze

4age 20v

4age 16v

13b =]

f20

just to name a few .

KA24E Does not 'bolt on'. Needs a KA or Z24 tranny, EFI wiring and all sensors and a high pressure fuel pump at the least. Weighs about 100 lb more than an L20B.

L28 Does not 'drop in'. Too long. Firewall needs to be cut out thus loosing the heater and needing sheet metal mods or move rad to the box and stick the front two cylinders out behind the grill. This motor weighs a ton and will fuck up the handling.

SR20DET Expect as much work as the KA but with the added plumbing problems of the turbo around the steering column and the torsion bars.

L16/18/20B Yes they bolt in and fit the stock tranny. Must have a truck oil pan.

This idea is just out of convenience, but fuzzy, with your yota exp. do you think a 4agze could go in a 73 620? Also asking your opinion Mike :) Thanks guys sorry i know this is a very old post. 

• Like 1

Had to look up what 4agze is.

Does it have a RWD transmission for it? Then yes it could be fitted. Engine mounts, rad, exhaust, trans mount, oil pan clearance, electronics, fuel pump would all need to be addressed but just about any 4 cylinder will work in the 620.

• Like 1

Best fit is the same year L engine, next best any other year L or LZ series engine. Then KA as they are the most documented. Then just about any other in line 4 cylinder. Then V6s. There are one or two small V8s but the title says fit and if you have to cut the firewall... that's not a fit.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Why hasn't anyone thought about a chevy ecotec? Dohc, VVT, low end torque, great mid range, by the time you reach the top end when the motor falls off, the race is over. Me personally I race open wheel buggies and we run these motors, of course they are built a bit (rods, JE-pistons and aftermarket oil and plumbing mods is all) but they last long, sound good, get good mpg, and can hold easily around 500 to 800 as I've been told. We run a spec class so the motors are all built, tagged, tuned, and dynoed by the same guy. We push 180 NA on the 2.4l. I honestly wanted to swap my L20b out for this and find a trans for it etc.  I think a stand alone wire harness is about 400 bucks. We put these in completely custom buggies so all it needs is basic computer stuff and shouldn't interfere with the dash and such aside from gauges. I saw someone got about 1,100 hp out of a fat turbo setup in a Jr. Dragster. So a decent turbo or even NA would be tons of fun.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I rented a 2.3 eco boost Mustang last week,

I drove it like a rental! I tried all of the go fast goodies, S mode, line lock …

damn thing was kinda fun,

has anyone successfully swapped one of these into a Datsun/Nissan?

If I ever win the lottery I’d stuff one in my 720.

I know, that’s cross breeding! But I’m dreaming anyway!