Which engines fits the 620?

uhhitsfuzzy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

That's cool, we all gotta start somewhere. I just mean that you may be able to answer your own ? in the future by searching all the great info from past threads. So, Toyota guy.... what motor can I put in my granny corolla to make a go-fast granny corolla?:lol::lol: I know nothing of them, but the fact that I've put nearly 50k on a $500 car with a stock 1.6L.

correct me if Im wrong but I dont see an L28 fitting in with ease,

if it did Im sure someone here would be rockin an L28et 620 by now.

ask steroid, I bet he has a picture somewhere of a 620 with the nose extended to fit a L28 in it. I've seen the pic

• Like 1
im talking about bolt ons and the ones that requires not so many fabrications.

so far..

ka24e

L28

sr20det

L16

L18

L20B

more?

KA24E Does not 'bolt on'. Needs a KA or Z24 tranny, EFI wiring and all sensors and a high pressure fuel pump at the least. Weighs about 100 lb more than an L20B.

L28 Does not 'drop in'. Too long. Firewall needs to be cut out thus loosing the heater and needing sheet metal mods or move rad to the box and stick the front two cylinders out behind the grill. This motor weighs a ton and will fuck up the handling.

SR20DET Expect as much work as the KA but with the added plumbing problems of the turbo around the steering column and the torsion bars.

L16/18/20B Yes they bolt in and fit the stock tranny. Must have a truck oil pan.

• Like 1

ya i started an l28 swap back on my first 620 to get around the high strung

l20 that was in it gave up and bought a 73 240z to put it in

back to the point the ford ranger ohv 4.0l goes in with out to much work

it was alot easier than i anticipated

• Like 1
ya i started an l28 swap back on my first 620 to get around the high strung

l20 that was in it gave up and bought a 73 240z to put it in

back to the point the ford ranger ohv 4.0l goes in with out to much work

it was alot easier than i anticipated

pics pls!

• Like 1

100lbs. Mike? are you sure about that? The L20 and the ka use almost indentical blocks. My ka was almost a drop in affair. I'm currently working on some brackets for the ka that will allow guys to drop it onto the stock 620 rubber mounts. I can do the harness rework in about 5 hours also with all new relays. Power to weight ratio is rediculous in these trucks with that motor.

The problem with the L28 is weight, length, power, and aftermarket. Even the 24E has a lot of options for power adders. The ka's are also easy and cheap to come by with all the 240 guys doing the sr swap.

That's my .02.

• Like 1
theres quite a bit of after market for the L6 actually.

dosent seem practical for a 620 swap tho lol. Id just toss in an SR and make more than enough power instead of trying to shoehorn an L6 in.

Yeah, I'm just sayin, L6 stock vs. a ka24 isn't worth the trouble. Turbo'd or pumped up might be, but still a lot of work to fit it in there.

I wanna do a ka-T!

• Like 1
Yeah, I'm just sayin, L6 stock vs. a ka24 isn't worth the trouble. Turbo'd or pumped up might be, but still a lot of work to fit it in there.

I wanna do a ka-T!

lol ya it wouldnt be worth the trouble of just getting one in there when you can get plenty of power from a KA or SR and they already fit

• Like 1
100lbs. Mike? are you sure about that? The L20 and the ka use almost indentical blocks.

They are similar but that's it. They would have a larger crank and if you look where the block mates to the tranny there is a lot more metal there. It's also wider through the block at the crank. The KA24DE is about 370 without oil and coolant.The E can't be that much less. The L20B is about 260.

• Like 1

RE: 4.0 liter Ford V6 in a Datsun 620... I'm sure it is typical conversion swap (custom driveshaft, engine mounts, exhaust etc.). But I would expect a 5.0 liter V8 would be even easier. They even fit em into tiny Datsun 1200s where Ford 2.8 V6 will not fit.

Edited by ggzilla
  • Like 1