Camshaft issues -HELP!

BRuZED

*dealing with a L20b*

I just got my head machined after a nasty overheat but come to find that I'm having a hard time getting the camshaft sprocket back on?!

-I know for damn sure the timing chain has NOT slipped but i just can't figure how to get slack in the chain outside of taking the timing cover off(sigh) and attacking the slack that way...I mean, it's almost on!

Any tricks or things i need to address outside of the misery of the the timing cover?

-thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you drive a wedge of wood down between the chain guides, just below the cam sprocket??? If you didn't secure the chain, any slack when you remove the sprocket will allow the chain tensioner to pop out of it's holder. It might even fall out! It's almost impossible to put back in without removing the timing cover.

If it is extremely close, I mean really close, make sure the cam dowel is lined up with the mating hole in the sprocket, and start the cam retaining bolt and gently tighten. If it's close this will apply pressure to the chain and the sprocket may slip over the end of the cam.

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=datsun&set=5

I cound never get the sproket up myself!!!!!!!!!!

If you do the front cover method get a new tensioner and maybe slack side guide. They are cheap!!!!!!!No excuses

Did you say you needed help getting it up??????????????????????LOL

Even with the wedge it is possible to end up losing a bit of slack during the process.The only way to really do it is to hold the chain up applying some tension.Take a long skinny screwdriver down to the tensioner and tap downwards on the top of it.The tension of the chain will push the tensioner in.Then you throw on the cam sprocket and turn the cam to match up if needed via the center boss.Loosen valves.

It is a pain in the ass but better than removing a ton of shit.Best if you have a friend to hold up the chain.

I once dropped the chain on purpose just to see if I could do it.I did.Even if the tensioner falls out this will work as long as the spring is still lined up.Kinda hard to explain but if you saw it done it would be like..ohhhhh.

Glad you got it but make sure you are in time.