Fuel level mystery

Datsun fan

OK, each time I shut my A15 engine off I watch the carb ( stock Hitachi ) & fuel level ( glass magic eye ) will go down slowly , after about 2 hours there isn't almost any fuel there , starting engine after 3-4 days will take about 5 tries to get that pig started !!!!!!! is this normal ??? is it a faulty one-way fuel valve ??? or is it just the fuel ( evaporation ) from ther carb cos engine is warm ??? anyway the fuel tank is LOWER than stock about 20 inches , no gas leak .

Any ideas ................

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is a common problem. But it can be fixed. Most commonly the main jet gaskets are leaking. Just take the nut guard off and tighten them a bit. Probably does not need new gaskets.

Here's my own A-series carburetor before and after leaking:

9815.jpg

Hitachi DCH-306 leaking fuel at main jet plug gasket

It is normal on a 30 year old vehicle. But when new it was a new Datsun it would have been considered Abnormal.

With my carburetor I could not observe fuel running out or leaking. Just the fact that it was wet and dirty was the indication. After i tightened those plugs it can sit for a couple of weeks before draining completely.

Hmmmmmm , I will tighten these things and test the leak again

What about one-way fuel valve ??? is it integrated in the fuel pump as I think ?? How to test that valve ???? the return line is NOT connected at all to the pump . Anyway, could you pls let me know what the return line is made for ??

The fuel pump and fuel line have nothing to do with Carburetor fuel bowl ascending level. Datsun B310 (150Y) has a fuel return line, but whether connected or not has nothing to do with this problem. Most other Datsuns have a fuel tank vent line, not a return line.

The fuel level descending is caused by leak internal to the carburetor. Even if you remove fuel pump, the carburetor should still hold fuel in the bowl for a at least a couple of days.

But ... perhaps someone from California or Arizona can comment on how high heat (above 100F/38C) affect evaporation. I am pretty sure that it should last longer than 2 hours, as I have driven my Datsun in those temperatures once or twice and not notice any problem.

Edited by ggzilla
But ... perhaps someone from California or Arizona can comment on how high heat (above 100F/38C) affect evaporation. I am pretty sure that it should last longer than 2 hours, as I have driven my Datsun in those temperatures once or twice and not notice any problem.

significantly.

in the 3-4 days of not driving, yeah itd be empty.

if my 4dr sat (weber) for a week or so, the bowls were empty.

electric fuel pump allowed it to fill faster so i didnt have to crank it until they were filled.