Tail light trick?

Well I'm stuck at home bored for a few more hours, and feel like workin on the car. A while back i was lookin at joe's (zuum510) old green 510 and he was tellin me about how he wired up the tail lights so when the brakes were pressed the entire light lit up, not just the inner half of the light. Or maybe when the lights were on, the entire light lit up. He said it was an old trick not too many of the younger guys do anymore. I was wondering if any of you knew how to do this and could give me a real quick walk through.

thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with the wagons, we have a small metal "splitter" piece that slides into the light housing (just behind the lens). I'd assume you pop off the lens, remove that bit, put lens back on.

Could be wrong, I'll tell Chris (NorCalDime) he needs to update the thread tonight.

Well with the wagons, we have a small metal "splitter" piece that slides into the light housing (just behind the lens). I'd assume you pop off the lens, remove that bit, put lens back on.

Could be wrong, I'll tell Chris (NorCalDime) he needs to update the thread tonight.

that is somewhat of a fix but doesn't really work 100% because the brake lights will bleed through and prevent his blinker from working. what he wants (i think) is to have the brake lights overtake both bulbs but when he uses his blinker then the blinker bulb will terminate the brake light and act as a blinker. eh but maybe not.

The basic jist of the conversion is that you need to get 2 more dual filament bulbs holders. Use one on each side to replace the existing outer single filament bulb holder and tap into the running light and brake light wiring from the inner holder so it activates the new outer one and also hook up the turn signal wire to the 2nd filament.

The DQ article has the wire colors and exact description of how to do it.

thanks guys, i think i get it, ill give it a shot. And thanks for the heads up about the cops, i doubt ill get bothered for it, and if i do, ill just play dumb and say i thought thats how it was factory, and ill look into fixing it:fu:

Any other help is still appreciated:)

Edited by 5casey1dimer0

I did a similar thing with both of my rally cars - using another dual filament plug robbed from another 510 tail light harness, however I had all four lower wattage lights hooked up to the running lights, but left the inner high wattage filaments for brakes, the outer high wattage filaments for signals.

The extra two running lights really increases the visibility from the rear of the car at night

I did a similar thing with both of my rally cars - using another dual filament plug robbed from another 510 tail light harness, however I had all four lower wattage lights hooked up to the running lights, but left the inner high wattage filaments for brakes, the outer high wattage filaments for signals.

The extra two running lights really increases the visibility from the rear of the car at night