Got an engine for the Z

Beau M

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn that exhuast doesnt even look like it will flow ,, i think that i would get headers ,, but the rest looks to be a fun project!!

There is no choice, those headers aren't working in a z.

You making your own mounts or using a kit?

Yeah, the thing about commitng to an engine is that a better deal will always come along after you have made your choice. I dont want to fuck with old ass electronics, maybe in the future but not now. This should be a relatively easy swap to get running being carbed. The headers are almost certainly going away. I do need to fab up mounts, and am doing a lot of reasearch on that, but this is the engine I have always wanted. Now I just need to find a 5 speed.

Oh, how do you think the exhaust would sound if I went from the headers to an x-pipe, then into a MSA twice pipes setup? I think it may need a bigger muffler in there somewhere.

Headers to a x pipe through just about any muffler is going to sound good. That the main reason 5.slows sound good is the x pipe, makes them sound 180degree-ish.

Well, I guess you get what you pay for. Turns out this engine is from an 86, which is to my understanding the least desireable year possible. This one year they put in flat top pistons and not so great heads. Supposedly this engine was rebuilt not long ago. Once I get it on a stand I will take the heads off and pray the put the good pistons and heads on after the rebuild. I am undecided if I will swap them out if they are the 86 units. Just my luck. :(

I thought FoRd put date codes on everything the produced, find that info out and that will save you lots of time and not waste your money on sht parts that are not wanted.... :eek:

Yeah, I should have looked into that. Oh well, I see it as I will just have that much more room for improvement. The only difference is the pistons and the heads, both of which can be had for reasonable prices. And it sounds like they aren't much of an issue until you put in a hotter cam, which is not planned at this point.

Yeah, I should have looked into that. Oh well, I see it as I will just have that much more room for improvement. The only difference is the pistons and the heads, both of which can be had for reasonable prices. And it sounds like they aren't much of an issue until you put in a hotter cam, which is not planned at this point.

Your digging a deep hole of work for yourself man. Went from bolt in to fabing to rebuilding the core you bought. Be careful "while your at it" syndrome doesn't screw you. You say you went carb so save the trouble of efi but you have already loaded yourself with WAY more trouble then efi could ever give.

This whole car has been more trouble than I expected. I bought it to be a project and an adventure, and boy has it been both so far. Who knows, maybe I will sell this engine in a few months, I don't plan on putting it in until late this winter. Honestly, I'm not worried about it. If the thing runs, that's good enough for me at this point. There are no guaranties that it will, but I can hope. Stay tuned.