DOHC KA24 in a 78KC?

620mike

ok so here is the deal..... i read the write-ups and confused myself, i think i might have made a mistake will some one help me.

i bought a DOHC KA24de out of a 93 240sx i got everything with it engine, trans, mounts, wiring harness, ECU, exahust, radatior fans, driveshaft.

Did i just bu all this stuff for no reason? from what im reading only the wiring

harness will fit.

If i didnt make a big mistake can someone tell me what i can do o redirect me somewere:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

The only main issue I see is the steering link (bar that connects pitman and idler arm) may have clearance issues with the oil pan. People say to get the Frontier version since it features a rear sump pan and is supposed to clear just fine, but anything is possible with a little patience, a tape measure, and a welder. You'll have to cut the stock link and add some new material to create a kind of "C-shaped" offset that will get around that pan when you turn the steering wheel. I've seen SR swaps into 620's before (front sump), so it's certainly do-able. You may want to consider an Lseries compatible transmission with a Z-24 bell swap to use the stock driveline and speedometer cable input. Good luck dude

The '93 240sx with KA24DE had a front sump oil pan and an internal oil pump inside the timing cover.

The Hardbody KA24E AND later KA24DE truck motors both had a rear sump with an external oil pump just like the L series. The 240sx DE engine with internal pump has a different shaped oil pan at the front right side. This means that the 240sx motor will not accept a E or DE oil pan from a Hardbody or Frontier.

I would get a HB or Frontier oil pan AND the oil pick up tube and modify the front to fit the 240sx timing cover. The 240sx is just like the L series and straight across the front. The HB/Frontier has the right side front corner missing like it was trimmed off. Perhaps a flat plate could be added to the HB/Frontier rear sump pan to extend to the 240sx's corner to seal it up. Might be easier than you think. Don't forget the rear sump pick up tube.

Edited by datzenmike

I flipped the center link on my ka24de 620. Im not on the road yet, still plumbing the fuel lines so I haven't tested the center link yet. I found that some VW drivers and offroaders have flipped their center links with great results. I purchased a tapered reamer from XKUT. http://www.xkut-reamers.com/servlet/StoreFront After flipping it the front sump cleared.