You West Coasters

djlotus

Are incredibly lucky. It's really depressing to know that the car I have fallen in love with, is hard to find now that I am on the East Coast. What's even more depressing is the fact that I've lived on the West Coast for my entire life up until about 3 months ago. I grew up in Spanaway, relocated to California at age 10 to Fresno.

I started wanting a 510 3-4 years ago. Kinda started to subside when I wasn't getting anywhere. But for some reason, as soon as I hit the East Coast, the spark turned into a full on flame. I need a 510! So I've been looking, and although its hard, I found a few candidates. I've never realized how far you have to travel at times to get what you want.

And to add insult to injury, with all the humidity and precipitation, damn near all the cars are rusty. The junkyards don't have cars older than maybe 15 years.

God I miss the West Coast sometimes.

I just want you guys to know how lucky you guys are sometimes. I knew getting certain things would cost more over here, but other things are ridiculous.

_John :P

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as i am also on the east coast i understand your situation. i've been looking at local prices and everything and as far as i can tell the way i would do it is save up enough to buy a complete running or almost running (complete is the important part) 510 from the west coast and ship it here and then make friends with some west coast guys (not hard especially everybody on here) and buy all the parts you can get your hands on. if nothing else you could probably find some other east coaster datsun lovers that need parts.

We have a depressing story to..... Its called everyones back yards.... I found a flared 1200 with craigers on it. Guess where it is sitting? A tweekers back yard!! You know how they are, one day its gold (aka I cant have it) the next its 80$ a ton scrap metal.... of corse I go there on the day it is gold :( I just wish I could save them all :D Maybe the tweeker will ship it to the east coast :D haha Good luck on your search. If there are any around seattle you want me to look at I will :D Some how I love looking at old datto's :) Hey I could even take it for a test spin for you, I could have you on the phone, that way you could hear my girlish laugh as I mash through the corners :D

Hey I could even take it for a test spin for you, I could have you on the phone, that way you could hear my girlish laugh as I mash through the corners :D

HAHAHAHAHAHA! That's freaking great!

I did think about getting one shipped over from the West Coast, but that's a little bit out of my price range. There are a few decent ones around here that are within just a few hours drive, so I'm gonna go that route first. If all else fails, then I guess I'll fall back into that.

I have gotten into to contact with a couple Datsun guys over here. I'm actually going to look at a 2 door tomorrow. Even if I don't get it, at least I'll have a contact when/if I need parts :cool:

There's a guy in North Carolina who flew out to Utah to buy a 510 wagon and then drive it back w/ his buddy 'cuz he couldn't find a decent dime anywhere near him.

And even though they're not on Ice's fav 5 list, there's a bunch of East Coasters on the Bluebirds mailing list that would be more than happy to help ya find a dime.

Not all west coasters have it easy... I've wanted a 2 door 510 for years, and I've only seen a couple, but people wanted like $3000 bucks for them; just projects! Rarely see anything "fixed up" around here. There's almost never any 68-80 Datsun ANYTHING in the local junkyards within a 50 mile radius. Seems like I'm in a Datsun dry spot... They're all either way up north, or way down south!

Not all west coasters have it easy... I've wanted a 2 door 510 for years, and I've only seen a couple, but people wanted like $3000 bucks for them; just projects! Rarely see anything "fixed up" around here. There's almost never any 68-80 Datsun ANYTHING in the local junkyards within a 50 mile radius. Seems like I'm in a Datsun dry spot... They're all either way up north, or way down south!

5k for mine :D

here there is a demand for parts so anything in a JY is stripped w/in a few days IF something shows up.

the last 4 dr i saw had the int and drivetrain removed the day it showed up...

there are gems to be found :D

the last 2 510's i bought were projects but got them running for cheap (battery and clean the points=wagon running again after 5 years of sitting)

there are a couple of dimes that i have been eyeing that kinda close to me. there are 2 for sale in north carolina, 1 in florida and 1 in kentucky. from how things are looking, i might be flying to north carolina and driving back. or i might have the one in kentucky shipped.