Thermostat soup

vindats1

ok, testing a new or used thermostat: get a large kettle and fill with water at least 2/3 full or about 6-8 cups. Put the thermometer in the kettle. Have a glass candy thermometer, with a clip and go ahead and clip it to the inside of the kettle. Watch the candy thermometer carefully as the temperature climbs to the temp setting of your thermostat. Now watch for the thermostat to open when it reaches the correct temperature. (i.e. 180 degrees thermostat should open at 180 degrees on the candy thermometer.)

Carefully remove the thermostat with metal tongs so not to get burned. Recycle the thermostat if it does not open at the correct temperature.

Now throw in some yummy vegies and you have Thermostat soup. Enjoy.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what bucket shops are making thermostats these days but most ones that I have tested [your way, by the way, works like a charm even without carrots] lately have been as much as 20 degrees too high. 180 degree thermostats not even moving until 195 or 200 degrees. Might explain the current spurt of complaints about temp gauges reading too high.

Spend the bucks on a good one. I used to get the $3-$5 ones. Now I get the $15 ones that, if it overheats, it fails in the open position. Another option is one from Nissan... better QC. Save $10? or overheat some day and maybe warp head or have to change it at least. Be sure you have a thermostat by-pass hose connected to the lower rad inlet so that hot coolant circulates past the thrermostat so it can sample it. Hainz suggests drilling a small 1/8" hole in the thermostat to allow the cool stagnent water trapped around the thermostat to be pushed out so it can warm up with the motor.

arent there supposed to be rocks or something added too??? :)

Spend the bucks on a good one.

Hainz suggests drilling a small 1/8" hole in the thermostat to allow the cool stagnent water trapped around the thermostat to be pushed out so it can warm up with the motor.

Stant has usually been close to the rated temp. but i have returned one that didnt open at all.

i remove the 'slug' thats usually crimped in the bypass hole, then open it up a little.

I was going to buy a new one. But I made soup with the original Nissan thermostat and it worked perfect. Lowered and raised the temp a couple of times and it was right on. So I put in back in, and have had problems with it. It's a 1981 thermo and has the little hole in it (jiggle-valve).

Nissan factory service manual says it should open exactly 8 mm, and there is 5-degree tolerance (180 thermo should open between 177 to 183 degrees). So check the manual for your Datsun, and maybe you can save some money.

• 3 years later...